v6 teardown and rebuild - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

v6 teardown and rebuild

Watz guys I'm planing on tearing down my f-body v6 motor while its still in the car here are my steps 1.remove cylinders heads right to left 2. Intake manifold fuel rail and injectors 3. Waterpump/acc 4.harmoinc balancer and seal almost down to the block... I know its alot but I'm doing a rebuild my motor cause of shavings in my oilpan and now it has water in it I'm guessing I would have to get everthing machined and washed or can I just rebuild?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
95Z
Admin

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you stop trying to get out of doing it the right way (removing engine) and just do it!

Its honestly not as bad as you're thinking, I guarentee you you'll spend more time worrying about it or trying to take the easy way out than you would if you'd just do it right.

As for rebuilding or just cleaning, you won't really know till you get it apart to inspect the damage. If the crank is messed up, it'll need to be machined, if not you might be able to just clean it up and put it back t/g. Either way I'd still have it hot tanked if their was metal shavings in it.

Yep its slow.

Making the world a warmer place one gallon at a time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM

It will be easier to remove the crank with the motor out. I trust your rebuild includes rings and bearings? You have a much better chance of finding problems standing over it than lying on your back under the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to GTP231
You're gonna pull the heads before the intake?

Mr. Black Angus
01 PT Cruiser (beater for now)
03 GTP Stock I swear
13.464 @ 103.51 mph spinning a lil Totaled 9/25/2010
LSx> L67> Cross Fire> LTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
God said, let there be light, and the optispark was born...and he saw that it was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Lt1's suck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Yea i would just take the whole motor out and bolt it up to a motor stand or something. That way you have a 360 degree view of everything...and also you can crank the motor upside down to place your crank in correctly and replace all the bearings and what not also. Work smart....not hard man

"Dont believe everything you read on the internet, thats how World War 1 got started"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement