Speedometer problems - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Speedometer problems

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have a 94 camaro 3.4L (auto). I've recently had some issues with the speedometer. The car will get up to about 35 mph with no issues (will shit into 3rd fine), then when it reaches 40 mph, the speedometer will drop to 30mph but the car will keep accelerating. I cant get it to shift into 4th and I'm pulling about 3k on the tac.

I was thinking it was the VSS so I pulled one from a junked camaro. Problem is, I've been having a really tough time taking out the same sensor from my camaro. Ive tried pulling it out and it seems to be really jammed in there. Does anyone have any ideas on how I would be able to get the VSS out? also if anyone has an opinion on another source of the problem feel free to speak up. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:20 PM

I'm leaning on the VSS too. If the one in the junkyard came out easier than the one in your car that's just more evidence that it is the VSS IMO.

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 LE2 355 w/ forged pistons/rods, 230/238 .565/.565" 110+6, 1.6:1 SA RR, LT Headers with ORY, T-56 (rebuilt w/ some upgrades), McLeod Street Twin, Lowered 1.25" (Stagg Shocks and Summit Springs) LCA Relocation brackets, Adj Panhard Bar, Poly suspension bushings, STB , CAI, !emissions crap, Magna Flow Cat Back. 146,xxx miles. Purchased Feb 7, 2012 (168K) 414rwhp
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback- Stock (Wifes Ride)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Well my car has over 275k miles so you never know at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Global Moderator

Before you go to the trouble of changing the vss, you should do a running sensor scan with an obd 1 scanner. See if the speed pcm sees on the scan matches the speedometer speed reading.

If vss is sending a different speed reading than speedometer shows, then speedo is the problem, not the vss.

And yes, an obd 1 scanner for your 94 is an essential tool. Since combo obd 1 & obd 2 scanners are expensive, try this.

Turn your pc based computer into a powerful scan tool. Go to 4th gen sticky threads and download the free obd 1 scan program called "scan9495" It was written for our lt1 cars.

It scans for regular codes, ABS & SIR codes. Does running sensor scans and logs data to a file for playback. It also tests engine & auto trans actuators.

However, you will need a cable that hooks dlc port of car to usb port of pc. Get in parts for sale section. $55 shipped.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-03-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement