How to install water pump gear - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

How to install water pump gear

Do I need to remove the intake or just the timing cover and the bolts to the water pump gear ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Global Moderator

You must remove the timing cover, the timing chain & the cam sprocket to remove the wp drive gear. And hope bearing behind the drive gear isn't stuck.

You can find service manual of the years 93-96 at the following link. It will have instructions and list special tools needed to do the job.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Last edited by cocobolo95; 07-02-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks man. Hopefully I can pull it out, I’m thinking about installing an electric water pump. Ahh and I’ll have to drop the oil pan down to get the timing cover off. I’ll have to install a new pan gasket. Fun times! What do you think about if I just install an ewp and leave the broken water pump gear alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 AM
Global Moderator

As long as it's only the splined shaft that's bad, you could just install a plug on timing cover hole for wp. I'd use something that will push into the hole, but not hit the splined shaft of wp drive. Then epoxy or silicon around the plug.

If it's the large gear that meshes with the cam gear that's broken, that opens up a can of worms. You would have to remove timing cover, cam gear & timing chain. You would have to remove wp drive assembly.

I would chuck splined shaft into a drill. With drill turning assembly like a lath, use a grinder to grind down the large gear so it no longer meshes with cam gear. Be sure to cover bearing so it doesn't get metal fragments in it. Inspect cam gear for damage caused by wp drive gear.

Or you could put another wp drive assembly along with a new timing set. You probably could use a new timing set anyway.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 07-03-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

This is what it looks like.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Global Moderator

It's been a while since I've seen the wp drive. Since it sticks out you would have to either cut off part of shaft sticking out. Then plug hole. Or remove drive assembly altogether. Then plug hole in block, & hole in timing cover.

Either choice requires removing timing cover. And other parts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Now I need to pull the water pump gear out. Going with an ewp. Thanks for your help man
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement