Tried paperclip while waiting on proper stuff to come - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Tried paperclip while waiting on proper stuff to come

As some of you know, I just inherited my Dad's 94 Z28 (Auto). I have only started it a few times. I prefer to work on clean vehicles so a bath was given outside and under hood. I remembered reading about the opti and did my best to not hurt it. After cleaning, and worrying about the opti, I started it, and it ran fine. I ran it for about 5 minutes to make sure that anything that got wet was dried by engine heat. Today I go to start it to pull it into my garage for tune up and repairs, and it won't start. It turns fine then make the car jump, and when I let off of the key it hisses at me. It sounds like I put the distributer in 180 out on an older car. I try the paperclip thing in the aldl on the two top right pins, and all that happens when I turn the key to on the radiator fan starts running. The service engine soon light was on before this, but using the paper clip it doesn't give me codes. What have I done wrong?

THANKS!
Mark

Retired Air Force/Disabled Vet
1994 Z28 Inherited from my father Jan, 21 2014.
Making a tribute to my Hero...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM

As you have found, that just doesn't work.

You need some cables, a laptop, and a program.

https://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/4th-gen-...gram-free.html

GTP Stage II heads/Intake, Borla,CC 218/224,chromoly pushrods, CG 1.6 rr's,Hooker 1 5/8 shorties,RapidFires, MSD 8.5mm wires,4L60e (w/TransGo shift kit,deep pan,B&M cooler,Vigilante 2800),Spohn.net->(Torque Arm,Drive haft,LCAs,Panhard Bar,front/rear sway bars),Superior 3.73 gears,TA rear cover, Kenny Brown D.D. S.F. connectors,Morosso CAI,MSD coil+6AL,95 opti,TB bypass,BMR F.T. strut brace, Nitto front-450,rear-555r, Ed Wright reprogram w/ LT1 Edit,LT4 K.M.,52mm BBk,Hypertech 160
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Global Moderator

paperclip only works on 93 cars. There's a obd1 cable for sale in parts for sale section. It's $55 shipped.

The program called scan8495 is free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

That's what I figured after thinking about it a bit longer, but this car is new to me, and I'm sure there is a whole lot more to figure out. I'm getting that cable from the for sale section and download the software. I've also read on here about tunercats. Is that just a more in depth program? Once I've got this figured out, I would like to dip into tuning.

Thanks!
Mark

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Is this what you guys suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonedawgz View Post
I sell 12 pin, 16 pin, and bare pin OBD1 to USB cables. $55.00 shipped to US locations.

These cables work with TunerPro RT, Scan9495, C.A.T.S. WinFlash and pretty much any other OBD1 program out there. OBD1 only, so that means 95 and earlier.

With TunerPro RT you can scan most GM OBD1 ECMs made from 82 to 95.

Using the C.A.T.S. WinFlash and TunerPro you can flash program the 94 and 95 3.1/3.4/LT1 PCMs.

Yes they work with OBD1.5 also, whatever you define as OBD1.5. Some people consider 16 pin OBD1 as OBD1.5. Some consider it if the ECM/PCM can be flash programmed. Either definition they do work with most (I think all) GM 94 & 95 PCMs.

The cable comes with a 3' USB extension cable and a CD including the USB drivers, the free version of TunerPro RT, most of the common .ADX files in a user friendly format, and a step by step user guide on installing and using the cable and TunerPro RT.

Hit me up if you have any application or usage questions.

The cables can be ordered at ALDL USB Cable, or send me an email at [email protected]

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyHD View Post
I've also read on here about tunercats. Is that just a more in depth program? Once I've got this figured out, I would like to dip into tuning.
Tunercats, and a few others, would allow you access to the PCM programming and offer full tuning capabilities, including the "by email" tuning services offered by some online places. Scan9495 is for scanning and resetting codes and also real time datalogging.

1994 Z28 4l60e- B&M trans cooler, Yukon 3.42's, Tune, 160 stat, TB Bypass/Airfoil/1LE Elbow/K&N CAI, FlowMaster Cat-Back.
Suspension: Strano Springs & Sway Bars, Bilsteins, SFC's, LCARB, Founders Performance STB & Adj. PHB
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Global Moderator

That cable from red devil river is the one I suggested. Unless you build your own cable, it is the least expensive cable. Get the 12 pin cable for your 94.

Another tool that would help is a pc based oscilloscope. It's about $70 on ebay, amazon, etc. With it you can actually see if opti is sending out the low & high resolution pulses.

It will also check your 50 hertz fuel enable signal for vats security problems and codes that cut fuel enable signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement