Question Look over my Data Master file please. - Page 2 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM

You could do that too. That stuff is tough, especially whens it's clogged up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you decide to pull the Y pipe to do this, make sure you soak the manifold bolts for a few days before you loosen them and take it easy. They are very likely to be seized on and just break off when you try to remove them and they are not easily replaced.

I thought the same thing. I ended up just taking a saws all and cutting the cat off, then putting a tube in it's place. A couple 3" exhaust band clamps make this easy. It also makes installation of a new aftermarket cat easy too. No welding needed, just band clamp it in.

Like these....

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 LE2 355 w/ forged pistons/rods, 230/238 .565/.565" 110+6, 1.6:1 SA RR, LT Headers with ORY, T-56 (rebuilt w/ some upgrades), McLeod Street Twin, Lowered 1.25" (Stagg Shocks and Summit Springs) LCA Relocation brackets, Adj Panhard Bar, Poly suspension bushings, STB , CAI, !emissions crap, Magna Flow Cat Back. 146,xxx miles. Purchased Feb 7, 2012 (168K) 414rwhp
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback- Stock (Wifes Ride)

Last edited by hrcslam; 07-16-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Okay yes that looks easier than a gut job I will try that. Thanks again for your help this is as close as I have been to solving this issue!!!!
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 PM

No Problem

1995 Camaro Z28 LT1 LE2 355 w/ forged pistons/rods, 230/238 .565/.565" 110+6, 1.6:1 SA RR, LT Headers with ORY, T-56 (rebuilt w/ some upgrades), McLeod Street Twin, Lowered 1.25" (Stagg Shocks and Summit Springs) LCA Relocation brackets, Adj Panhard Bar, Poly suspension bushings, STB , CAI, !emissions crap, Magna Flow Cat Back. 146,xxx miles. Purchased Feb 7, 2012 (168K) 414rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
No Problem
Got the new pipe installed today had a few too many Coors Lights while I was installing so didn't get to take it out on the road but it sounds really good. Now hit the pedal no hesitation and will hit 5k RPM with no problem. I will take it out tomorrow and let you guys know how she runs. I would like to do another data log and have you look it over also if you will please. Thanks so much for your help and also telling me about the band clamps those are awesome!!!!
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-flying-bird View Post
Got the new pipe installed today had a few too many Coors Lights while I was installing so didn't get to take it out on the road but it sounds really good. Now hit the pedal no hesitation and will hit 5k RPM with no problem. I will take it out tomorrow and let you guys know how she runs. I would like to do another data log and have you look it over also if you will please. Thanks so much for your help and also telling me about the band clamps those are awesome!!!!
No problem that's what we are all here for, enjoy your night. Beer sounds like a great idea!

Post it up when you get a chance. You'll want to take it on a good long drive to let the BLM's readjust properly. But, do keep an eye on those BLM's to make sure they are coming down to normal.

Yeah, those band clamps are the best exhaust invention ever.

Last edited by hrcslam; 07-18-2014 at 12:25 AM.
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcslam View Post
No problem that's what we are all here for, enjoy your night. Beer sounds like a great idea!

Post it up when you get a chance. You'll want to take it on a good long drive to let the BLM's readjust properly. But, do keep an eye on those BLM's to make sure they are coming down to normal.

Yeah, those band clamps are the best exhaust invention ever.
Took it out drove around for about an hour she runs good no hesitation has all her power back. Also as you could see in the first data log it was running around 220 on temp never got over 190 today. I did notice I have a small leak on a fuel injector on left side I will put in a new seal in see if that fixes that issue.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

New pipe installed ran new data log

Got the new pipe installed runs very good in closed loop. In open loop when I first start it has a small hesitation soon as temp comes up goes away. It does still smell as it is running a little rich so I did another data log. Please look it over and let me know what you think. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by low-flying-bird; 07-26-2014 at 12:53 PM.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 PM

You're still dumping fuel in the drivers cylinder bank. It is maxed out in all BLM cells for adding fuel. With the cat off it will smell richer, but you are overly rich. By a lot. You are also rich in other BLM cells for the passenger cylinder bank too, but that is likely due to tuning needs.

Do you have an exhaust leak? Like a popping noise under the hood/cabin?

Also, what mods have you done to the car? TB bypass? Air Foil? Cat back? CAI? etc.?

Your log shows either a bad Drivers O2 sensor, injectors not flowing, or an exhaust leak near the drivers O2 sensor. But, you have no codes for O2 or injectors so I'm leaning to exhaust leak??

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a noticeable leak but I will check it out good. I installed a new exhaust manifold gasket and flange gasket on the drivers side just before the issue with the converter. I don't think there has been any mods it appears to be bone stock.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM

An O2 sensor wouldn't cause a code if it were just skewed lean or rich as long as it is still usable. The short term counts seem to be adjusting fine, rarely going over 130.
Also, the injector codes are for electrical only, not mechanical. Could be stuck open or closed and never set a code.

98 Trans Am, LS1/A4, all stock, original owner
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 PM

If no exhaust leak, then it's likely as Gary Doug says, either an injector or O2 problem.

Because it's adding fuel, it would be a non-working injector. I'd pull the rail and makes sure they all spray. If they do, then try replacing the O2 sensor, if not replace or clean injectors that don't spray.

It might be worth cleaning all the injectors anyway even if they do spray.

On a side note: because you still have the AIR pump it could be pulling air in through that system into the drivers exhaust manifold. Because your cat was clogged it is possible that the exhaust pressure damaged part of the AIR system causing it to let air in when it's not supposed to. When I deleted my Cat, I also ditched the AIR pump too.

Last edited by hrcslam; 07-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Okay guys thanks I will check for exhaust leaks first then check the injectors. What is the best way to clean them?
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Checked the exhaust out today couldn't find any leaks. I have a new Bosch o2 sensor and I know some people say they are junk but could I use it to just see if it helps? Also what is the best way to go about checking the injectors?
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-flying-bird View Post
Checked the exhaust out today couldn't find any leaks. I have a new Bosch o2 sensor and I know some people say they are junk but could I use it to just see if it helps? Also what is the best way to go about checking the injectors?
You can try the other O2 and see if that works. Or swap O2s from left to right and see if the issue moves or not.

Your injectors are working electrically, otherwise you'll get a DTC code. You can try this; pull fuel rail, prime fuel pump, activate each injector with a direct 12v source. If they spray they work correctly. If not replace or repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM

I had an O2 go out on left side, switching around 300-400 Mv (lean reading) instead of 100-900 Mv. PCM kept adding fuel, no DTC's, BLM's up high, car ran like crap, hesitation, etc. Our OBD1 PMC's are very weak when it comes to monitoring correct O2 operation. They do very little testing compared to the modern [email protected] testing.

I'm Bob.. 1994 Z28, A4, Stall, CAI, Cam, RR's, 342 rear, LT's , CatBack, Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement