LS1LT1 Forum banner

LT1 TUNING (first timer)

17K views 22 replies 2 participants last post by  toyinhawaii 
#1 ·
Going to try and tune the PCM myself for the first time and saw the Thread above "HP tuner for dummies, saw the dummie first and said this is gotta be for me! I read the other articles as well but stopped because my eyes were getting glazed over. So about 13 yrs ago i had the LT1(94 caprice,donor car) transplanted into the el camino.I had the PCM flashed on the LT1 to remove the VATS, smog, 02's, EGR and i think some others(kinda forgot what else), just to get the new transplant running(never had the elky on the road),then the elky sat in the garage until 2017. Now, ready for the final touches before putting plates back on to drive it (complete off frame resto done from front to rear), i wanted the PCM to be tuned to the best it can. i do have the LT1 OBD1 hooked up to the CEL, it does work and it does stay lit. Not sure what the code is because i dont have an OBD1 scanner and it seems the "scanner" is built into the software in the HP tuner. For the latest and greatest info i hit youtube, here on LS1/LT1.com and a few others and saw JJ's old post "Free PC scan utility for the 94 and 95 LT1"(on el caminocentral). i also found these (below) for reference. i would like to try and do this myself. Theres a lot of info and i'm trying to condense it down to where i can understand where i need to start.what is everyone recomendations? Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm also going to post above in the HP tuners, not sure if it will be seen there, due to the last posting back in 2013, so aplogies for double posting.

(1984 el camino, i usually hang out over on elcaminocentral.com)The LT1 improvements are 30 over pistons,long tube headers,new boshe injectors,mild/street competions cam and yes, new(refurbished) AC/Delco Optispark. I have had it up and down the street a few times but not over 20 mph, it seems to run fine and i think i have noticed it does run lean( while idleing in the garage) .

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64
Software links:
http://www.tunercat.com/winflash_desc...
TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For obd 1 tuning, I recommend tuner cat obd 1 tuner. It's available at the tunercat website. It will cost you about 100 bucks for the tuner program & the $EE file it needs to read the lt1 pcm. I've found tunercat to be a frairly easy platfrom for the beginner to use. Plus the service they give is great.

I've gone though a bunch of home comuters since I bought my tunercat. They alway send me the unlock code for the $EE definition file for free & answer any questions I have on their products.

I don't really know much about HP Tuner. In fact I've always thought it was for obd 2 cars. Of course I could be wrong.

There is some good lt1 tuning info at the following link. He also does lt1 tuning. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

#3 ·
cocobolo95.. thanks for the advise and my apologies for the long delay (6months) in responsing. Since your advice i had been playing around with the tutorials/ the above thread starters/steveo's post, etc., and trying to learn. is there a 'Basic PCM tuning for idiots" :lol:? About a week and a half ago i recieved my cable from OBD Diagnostics, Inc and installed the CD on both the laptop and desktop. i did it on the desktop just to get familar with it but there wasnt really anything. so yesterday on the laptop i installed the $eehack and tuner pro and thought i had atleast installed the basics(according to the instructions) i plugged it into the elkys OBD1 and nothing. my son came over with his MAC laptop and couldnt install some of the programs, but i think i read that some of the programs wont install on MAC's. all the reading up i did to absorb all of this is a little confusing and i probably downloaded the wrong programs or something silly like i got it all wired up but cant find the ON switch, i'm gonna try to make this work because it is interesting to know how to do something like this . But yea, was a little bummed out that when i plugged the cable into the OBD1 i got zlitch!

#4 · (Edited)
One of the things you have to do is make sure that usb port the program looks for is the one chosen on your computer. I use windows 7 and I have to go into the control panel.

Then hit system. From there I hit device manager. With my cable plugged in it should list the port that cable is hooked to. Then if the listed port is not the same as the port that program requires to run, you have to change the port number.

I haven't a clue on how to accomplish the same thing for windows 8 or 10. Also search for obd 1 drivers warning on google. There are reports that the original chip manufacturer, in order to fight counterfeit drivers, has added programming to latest versions of the drivers, that will disable the cable.

I'm pretty sure the company you bought cable from uses genuine chip in his cable. But you never know. Solution is to install an earilier version of the cable drivers. FTDI V 24 or older, if memory serves me correctly. And don't let cable automatically install latest FTDI driver. Do it manually in order to select V24 or older.

#7 · (Edited)
In order for the complete tunercat program, or the winflash program to work, you'll have to buy the $EE definition file. If you already have tunerpro to read & make changes to the program loaded in your pcm, then winflash will do the job of flashing the new bin file to your pcm.

However, I personally prefer the tunercat obd 1 tuner over the tuner pro program. To me, the tunercat interface is easier to use than tunerpro.

So to sum it up, you'll need to spend the 20 bucks for winflash. And the 20 bucks for the $EE definition file. Or the 100 bucks for the tunercat obd 1 tuner, plus the 20 bucks for the $EE def file.

Either choice, you download the winflash or tunercat free trial. Then you give them the 20 bucks for $EE. They will email you the definition file & the key to unlock it. You can use tunercat or winflash for 30 days before having to buy the program.

#8 ·
ok, so this is the $ee definition file(just wanted to confirm) for 19.95

Software Discription

and not to sure about the tunercat obd1 tuner for the $100.00 your talking about. i went here but couldnt find it unless i overlooked it

TunerCat

and i downloaded the trial winflash but it says:

your evaluation lisence will expire in 31 days

then the prompt says

run time error:339
component "comct132.ocx" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

a little different entry dialog than the video shows but looks like it still is offering the 30 day trial. do i need a customer ID and serial number for the trial period?

thanks for the patience with me

#9 · (Edited)
Did you buy the $EE file for $19.95? Gotta have the definition file to run Winflash. Also you need the new bin file that you created with tunerpro so winflash can upload it to your pcm.

The gearheadefi forum has many different lt1 based bin files you can download to use with winflash. That is if you haven't created your own new bin file with tunerpro.

When all else fails contact the people at tunercat. They are very helpful and know much more than I about the operation of winflash and tunercat obd 1 tuner.

If you want the tunercat obd 1 tuner, on the lonk you provided, go down list to "obd 1 tuner" Hit that, when new page opens, scroll down to bottom of page and hit the download now tab. Pop up will appear to download the 30 day trial of the obd 1 tuner. Keep in mind to read your lt1 pcm, you will need the $EE definition file.

On the first link you put in post, when it opens, scroll down to chevy cars. At bottom of list, you will find $EE def file. Hit the add to cart button. Once you pay for it, tunercat will e-mail the file & serial number to unlock file. There should be an instruction doc to show you how to add the def file to winflash or obd 1 tuner.

#10 ·
i just bought the $ee ecm definition file from CATS and an email that i received said they would :
"You should receive an e-mail with your registration information (and any ECM Definition Files you have ordered within two business days or less of receipt of your order."

after i receive these"files", then i guess i will be able to log into the winflash like you are talking about. yesterday my winflash free trial said i have 31 days left, today it said 30, so i must have started my trial period already i just cant get pass the "continue' button without i assume these files.

thanks for all your help!

#12 ·
ok, i understand what you're saying and i'm also watching the tuner pro video and if i follow his instructions i should be able to open the tuner cat winflash free trial(which i currently cant) then add the def. file to it(like how your saying). i'm probabaly being a rock and not doing something in sequence but i'll wait for the file and then try to log into the winflash. oh, and he says after the 30 day trial is done you can delete the program and then reinstall it again for another free 30 day trial. But hey, $20 aint gonna break me either. Tuning the PCM is a first for me and understanding this programing, EE hack( is written in C++ and QT), definition file, jargon/lingo is a little over my head to understand but i'll give it my best shot and see if i can connect the dots. Again, thanks very much for the help.

#14 ·
i'm still having a problem logging into the winflash. A couple weeks ago i installed it. got the C.A.T.S shortcut on my desk top, and like i was saying i couldnt get past the 30 day trial period "continue" button. So last week and this past weekend the only thing i knew how to do was uninstall it and then reinstall it. Well, when i reinstalled it the C.A.T.S shortcut doesnt appear any more. So i kept uninstalling it and reinstalling it but i couldnt get it back. I'm pretty sure i uninstalled everything but now i'm not so sure. The only other thing i can think of is to install/download it on my desktop CP/ thumbdrive and then install it back onto the laptop. Something tells me that part of the original winflash program is still on my laptop and when i keep trying to install it, something is preventing the C.A.T.S shortcut to install. I am computer savvy but i got my limits :laugh:

#15 ·
You need to go into "my computer" and then open the program files. I can't remember if winflash or tunercat obd 1 tuner installs in program files or program files x86.

When you locate the winflash or tunercat folder, open it. The icon to start program will be in file. Send it to desktop.

I run windows 7 on my computer and am not real familiar with windows 8 or 10. But they will have a way to get into the program files.

If all else fails contact the people at tunercat. They know more about program than anyone else.

Since both programs were designed when windows 95 or 98 was being used, you may have to run program in compatibility mode for it to function correctly. win xp compatibility worked for me on my windows 7 computer. One last trick, sometimes running an older program as "administrator" does the trick.

I don't have my 95 anymore so no longer have tunercat obd 1 tuner on my computer.

#16 ·
Currently i am not able to get to the laptop but yes, you're right it is in the X86 files and the C.A.T.S icon is the first file listed, it wouldn't let me make a shortcut to the desktop and when i tried to open it from the file it said it was just a figure image and all i got was a black screen. Unless i overlooked it on the tunercat website i couldnt find any POC info regarding a phone number or email but when i bought the definition file and got an email confirming it they gave me an email: tc@tunercat.com , i guess this is the only way to contact them. I'll double check that folder again for some other icon or something related and if that doesnt work i guess i'll email them. I was bummed out this long weekend, in hopes of getting the program going, i'm sure i eventually will, but on a lighter note a local speed shop was closing its doors and i bought a billet steering wheel kinda cheap, at least i got something done this weekend to the Elky.

#18 · (Edited)
I've never used winflash, I didn't know that it doesn't seem to work unless added to tunercat obd 1 tuner. So uninstall winflash.

Then go to tunercat site and download tunercat obd1 tuner. It will come up as an eval version also. But it will load and work. Just put your $EE definition file into the tunercat folder.

If your using windows 7, 8 , or 10 you will have to let computer reinstall program to get right settings to work. When you open program the 1st time, computer will say something is not compatible. Then it should reinstall program automaticly.

This is the program you should have had from the get go. Eval version good for 31 days.

#19 ·
i got my tuner CATS back but still unable to log in using the trial period so i emailed tc@tunercat.com yesterday for help to log in.

i was able to go into tuner pro and install the EE.xdf. i opened it up(following the tuner pro youtube video)And i assume for example: i went to the scalars> Fan 1 on threshold(low rpm) and the value was set @ -40.00 deg C. most were set with populated values and some were 0.00 i assume these are the basic settings that was set at the factory for my PCM? For now until i can understand how to work it i just followed the video and got familiar with the scalars,flags and tables. i noticed on the table>the main spark advance, my settings on all RPM's were 0.00 but the video's one was populated. i assume mine was 0.00 because the ALDL was not hooked up?

#20 ·
Lets review, you did buy the $EE def file from tunercat? I ask because I've seen some people try to add the EE file from tunerpro, into the tunercat program file. That doesn't work.

It's been many years since I've done any tuning. My memory grows foggier as each day passes. I've never worked with tunerpro, just tunercat. For actual tuning info, I'd run Steeveo's "EEhack". From what I understand, it will automatically populate tuning categories with a ball park set of values.

You can PM Steveo as he's a member here. But I believe you'll have better luck getting his attention at the gearhead efi forum. The forum also has many bib files of tunes other people have used in their cars. You can probably find a good starter tune that will let your elky run pretty well. You can fine tune the values to get her running just right.

I installed tunercat on my pc. But, I don't have a 94-95 lt1 car to plug my cable into anymore. Gearhead efi forum has many members that are well versed on the actual changes that are needed to get air/fuel mixture correct. Most of the categories in the tables & charts, remain unchanged from factory settings. If memory serves me correctly.

#21 · (Edited)
yes, i bought $EE def file from tunercat: and the instructions say to download it into the CATS tuner, which i verified it is there.

And yes i downloaded the free EE.XDF file(EE HACK)( i looked at Steeveo's thread for guidance) and then installed it into the tuner pro. And yes i believe you are right when you said it will automatically populate tuning categories with a ball park set of values. this is where i assumed it was the orignal OEM program settings that GM programed into the PCM.

And i did float around here on LS1LT1 and a little bit over on gearhead efi and saw where they talked about "bib files of tunes other people have used in their cars"(IDK what "bib" means as i am still learning the terminology). and i understand when then say "oh heres my tune that i edited/programed/set values this might work for you. So now i am under the assumption that basically i can use a persons customized bib file, load it into my tuner pro program and then download that "bib file" onto my PCM. I guess in the back of my brain i'm thinking, how would their customized program that they did for their own cars application work in mine? i guess i would have to find someone with the same exact modification as what i did to my engine. going off memory i have a little bit beefier cam, long tube headers and i think maybe thats it and to my understanding that would affect the PCM. What i also did was bore the cylinders out 30 over but that doesnt affect the PCM .

But yea, i can definitely tell i am in need of some air/fuel mixture settings probably because of the cam. i can smell it being too lean and 3-5 gallons of gas burns pretty quickly when the elky is just sitting in the garage idleing. i'll go back to gearhead efi, lurk around and get savvy enough to where i can start asking questions.

#22 ·
It's not bib file, it's bin file. The bin file is the actual program that pcm uses to run engine/transmission. The $EE definition file is the file needed for tunercat to read your pcm to see what bin file is loaded in pcm.

As far as I know, Tunerpro does not upload bin files to pcm. EEHack will load a bin file that it's program has created, but I dom't think it will upload a bin file created by tuner pro, or a bin file that you downloaded from gearhead efi.

I suggest downloading a stock bin file for a 94 or 95 trans am or z28. Use the year bin file that matches year & type of engine & trans. See how stock tune runs in your elky. Then go through all the tables, charts, etc, using tunerpro or tunercat to read the pcm. Write down all settings.

Next, use EEHack to create a new bin file using your mods to get the ball park tune bin file. Read the new bin file created by EEHack and write down all info. Next, compare stock bin file to new EEHack created bin file. See what changes EEHack made to stock bin file.

Now, upload the bin file created by EEhack to your pcm using tunercat. Run car and see how it does. If in the ballpark, you can tweak the tune with help from the gearhead efi crowd.

If new tune still runs bad, go to gearhead efi and download some of the bin files for lt1 engine that have mods similar to yours. Read the bin files with TunerPro or tunercat. Write the info down again. Compare info to stock bin file and bin file that EEHack created. See what changes the high performance bin files made to stock bin file.

This is one of the ways you will learn the changes needed to be made to your pcm

#23 · (Edited)
i got back a reply from tunercat for help on installing the CATS tuner, after going through a couple possible instruction senerios lastnight i found one that works. Basically it was "try this, if this doesnt work then try this" very good trouble shooting instructions. i'm in the CATS tuner now and just seeing how it works. i havent plugged in the cable yet. Now its on to gearhead efi for more understanding/learning/applying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.