LT1 TUNING (first timer) - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

LT1 TUNING (first timer)

Going to try and tune the PCM myself for the first time and saw the Thread above "HP tuner for dummies, saw the dummie first and said this is gotta be for me! I read the other articles as well but stopped because my eyes were getting glazed over. So about 13 yrs ago i had the LT1(94 caprice,donor car) transplanted into the el camino.I had the PCM flashed on the LT1 to remove the VATS, smog, 02's, EGR and i think some others(kinda forgot what else), just to get the new transplant running(never had the elky on the road),then the elky sat in the garage until 2017. Now, ready for the final touches before putting plates back on to drive it (complete off frame resto done from front to rear), i wanted the PCM to be tuned to the best it can. i do have the LT1 OBD1 hooked up to the CEL, it does work and it does stay lit. Not sure what the code is because i dont have an OBD1 scanner and it seems the "scanner" is built into the software in the HP tuner. For the latest and greatest info i hit youtube, here on LS1/LT1.com and a few others and saw JJ's old post "Free PC scan utility for the 94 and 95 LT1"(on el caminocentral). i also found these (below) for reference. i would like to try and do this myself. Theres a lot of info and i'm trying to condense it down to where i can understand where i need to start.what is everyone recomendations? Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm also going to post above in the HP tuners, not sure if it will be seen there, due to the last posting back in 2013, so aplogies for double posting.

(1984 el camino, i usually hang out over on elcaminocentral.com)The LT1 improvements are 30 over pistons,long tube headers,new boshe injectors,mild/street competions cam and yes, new(refurbished) AC/Delco Optispark. I have had it up and down the street a few times but not over 20 mph, it seems to run fine and i think i have noticed it does run lean( while idleing in the garage) .

http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64
Software links:
http://www.tunercat.com/winflash_desc...
TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 AM
Global Moderator

For obd 1 tuning, I recommend tuner cat obd 1 tuner. It's available at the tunercat website. It will cost you about 100 bucks for the tuner program & the $EE file it needs to read the lt1 pcm. I've found tunercat to be a frairly easy platfrom for the beginner to use. Plus the service they give is great.

I've gone though a bunch of home comuters since I bought my tunercat. They alway send me the unlock code for the $EE definition file for free & answer any questions I have on their products.

I don't really know much about HP Tuner. In fact I've always thought it was for obd 2 cars. Of course I could be wrong.

There is some good lt1 tuning info at the following link. He also does lt1 tuning. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

Last edited by cocobolo95; 03-15-2019 at 04:47 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
For obd 1 tuning, I recommend tuner cat obd 1 tuner. It's available at the tunercat website. It will cost you about 100 bucks for the tuner program & the $EE file it needs to read the lt1 pcm. I've found tunercat to be a frairly easy platfrom for the beginner to use. Plus the service they give is great.

I've gone though a bunch of home comuters since I bought my tunercat. They alway send me the unlock code for the $EE definition file for free & answer any questions I have on their products.

I don't really know much about HP Tuner. In fact I've always thought it was for obd 2 cars. Of course I could be wrong.

There is some good lt1 tuning info at the following link. He also does lt1 tuning. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
cocobolo95.. thanks for the advise and my apologies for the long delay (6months) in responsing. Since your advice i had been playing around with the tutorials/ the above thread starters/steveo's post, etc., and trying to learn. is there a 'Basic PCM tuning for idiots" ? About a week and a half ago i recieved my cable from OBD Diagnostics, Inc and installed the CD on both the laptop and desktop. i did it on the desktop just to get familar with it but there wasnt really anything. so yesterday on the laptop i installed the $eehack and tuner pro and thought i had atleast installed the basics(according to the instructions) i plugged it into the elkys OBD1 and nothing. my son came over with his MAC laptop and couldnt install some of the programs, but i think i read that some of the programs wont install on MAC's. all the reading up i did to absorb all of this is a little confusing and i probably downloaded the wrong programs or something silly like i got it all wired up but cant find the ON switch, i'm gonna try to make this work because it is interesting to know how to do something like this . But yea, was a little bummed out that when i plugged the cable into the OBD1 i got zlitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Global Moderator

One of the things you have to do is make sure that usb port the program looks for is the one chosen on your computer. I use windows 7 and I have to go into the control panel.

Then hit system. From there I hit device manager. With my cable plugged in it should list the port that cable is hooked to. Then if the listed port is not the same as the port that program requires to run, you have to change the port number.

I haven't a clue on how to accomplish the same thing for windows 8 or 10. Also search for obd 1 drivers warning on google. There are reports that the original chip manufacturer, in order to fight counterfeit drivers, has added programming to latest versions of the drivers, that will disable the cable.

I'm pretty sure the company you bought cable from uses genuine chip in his cable. But you never know. Solution is to install an earilier version of the cable drivers. FTDI V 24 or older, if memory serves me correctly. And don't let cable automatically install latest FTDI driver. Do it manually in order to select V24 or older.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 09-30-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One of the things you have to do is make sure that usb port the program looks for is the one chosen on your computer. I use windows 7 and I have to go into the control panel.

Then hit system. From there I hit device manager. With my cable plugged in it should list the port that cable is hooked to. Then if the listed port is not the same as the port that program requires to run, you have to change the port number.

I haven't a clue on how to accomplish the same thing for windows 8 or 10. Also search for obd 1 drivers warning on google. There are reports that the original chip manufacturer, in order to fight counterfeit drivers, has added programming to latest versions of the drivers, that will disable the cable.

I'm pretty sure the company you bought cable from uses genuine chip in his cable. But you never know. Solution is to install an earilier version of the cable drivers. FTDI V 24 or older, if memory serves me correctly. And don't let cable automatically install latest FTDI driver. Do it manually in order to select V24 or older.
ok, i was aware of the USB port but i will double check that again. if that isnt the problem then i'll give the earilier version of the cable driver( FTDI V 24 or older) a shot.

Thanks very much for all the help
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

looks like i am still needing programs to actually start the process: according to the video (tuner pro) i need the tuner pro (EE Hack)(i've down loaded this) and the EE.XDF(i've downloaded this too) (@ tuner pro>dropdown to downloads and click definitions). now it looks like the next step is the tuner CATS but the site says:

"Note: This same functionality is available in the latest version of the Tuner program when the $EE ECM Definition File or V6 ECM Definition File is being used so you don't need the WinFlash program unless you are using a separate PC to read and program your PCM and you don't want to install the full Tuner program on this PC."

do i use the winflash(looks like i click on the bottom where it says download) or $EE ECM Definition File? the tuner pro site charges $20 for the $EE/16181333 or 16188051/
94 - 95 Y, F & B CAR, Cadillac 5.7L, LT1, L99 (FLASH) (incl. 'Rev B')/

which is better to use?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:06 AM
Global Moderator

In order for the complete tunercat program, or the winflash program to work, you'll have to buy the $EE definition file. If you already have tunerpro to read & make changes to the program loaded in your pcm, then winflash will do the job of flashing the new bin file to your pcm.

However, I personally prefer the tunercat obd 1 tuner over the tuner pro program. To me, the tunercat interface is easier to use than tunerpro.

So to sum it up, you'll need to spend the 20 bucks for winflash. And the 20 bucks for the $EE definition file. Or the 100 bucks for the tunercat obd 1 tuner, plus the 20 bucks for the $EE def file.

Either choice, you download the winflash or tunercat free trial. Then you give them the 20 bucks for $EE. They will email you the definition file & the key to unlock it. You can use tunercat or winflash for 30 days before having to buy the program.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 10-05-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In order for the complete tunercat program, or the winflash program to work, you'll have to buy the $EE definition file. If you already have tunerpro to read & make changes to the program loaded in your pcm, then winflash will do the job of flashing the new bin file to your pcm.

However, I personally prefer the tunercat obd 1 tuner over the tuner pro program. To me, the tunercat interface is easier to use than tunerpro.

So to sum it up, you'll need to spend the 20 bucks for winflash. And the 20 bucks for the $EE definition file. Or the 100 bucks for the tunercat obd 1 tuner, plus the 20 bucks for the $EE def file.

Either choice, you download the winflash or tunercat free trial. Then you give them the 20 bucks for $EE. They will email you the definition file & the key to unlock it. You can use tunercat or winflash for 30 days before having to buy the program.
ok, so this is the $ee definition file(just wanted to confirm) for 19.95

Software Discription

and not to sure about the tunercat obd1 tuner for the $100.00 your talking about. i went here but couldnt find it unless i overlooked it

TunerCat

and i downloaded the trial winflash but it says:

your evaluation lisence will expire in 31 days

then the prompt says

run time error:339
component "comct132.ocx" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

a little different entry dialog than the video shows but looks like it still is offering the 30 day trial. do i need a customer ID and serial number for the trial period?

thanks for the patience with me
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 AM
Global Moderator

Did you buy the $EE file for $19.95? Gotta have the definition file to run Winflash. Also you need the new bin file that you created with tunerpro so winflash can upload it to your pcm.

The gearheadefi forum has many different lt1 based bin files you can download to use with winflash. That is if you haven't created your own new bin file with tunerpro.

When all else fails contact the people at tunercat. They are very helpful and know much more than I about the operation of winflash and tunercat obd 1 tuner.

If you want the tunercat obd 1 tuner, on the lonk you provided, go down list to "obd 1 tuner" Hit that, when new page opens, scroll down to bottom of page and hit the download now tab. Pop up will appear to download the 30 day trial of the obd 1 tuner. Keep in mind to read your lt1 pcm, you will need the $EE definition file.

On the first link you put in post, when it opens, scroll down to chevy cars. At bottom of list, you will find $EE def file. Hit the add to cart button. Once you pay for it, tunercat will e-mail the file & serial number to unlock file. There should be an instruction doc to show you how to add the def file to winflash or obd 1 tuner.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 10-08-2019 at 07:13 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you buy the $EE file for $19.95? Gotta have the definition file to run Winflash. Also you need the new bin file that you created with tunerpro so winflash can upload it to your pcm.

The gearheadefi forum has many different lt1 based bin files you can download to use with winflash. That is if you haven't created your own new bin file with tunerpro.

When all else fails contact the people at tunercat. They are very helpful and know much more than I about the operation of winflash and tunercat obd 1 tuner.

If you want the tunercat obd 1 tuner, on the lonk you provided, go down list to "obd 1 tuner" Hit that, when new page opens, scroll down to bottom of page and hit the download now tab. Pop up will appear to download the 30 day trial of the obd 1 tuner. Keep in mind to read your lt1 pcm, you will need the $EE definition file.

On the first link you put in post, when it opens, scroll down to chevy cars. At bottom of list, you will find $EE def file. Hit the add to cart button. Once you pay for it, tunercat will e-mail the file & serial number to unlock file. There should be an instruction doc to show you how to add the def file to winflash or obd 1 tuner.
i just bought the $ee ecm definition file from CATS and an email that i received said they would :
"You should receive an e-mail with your registration information (and any ECM Definition Files you have ordered within two business days or less of receipt of your order."

after i receive these"files", then i guess i will be able to log into the winflash like you are talking about. yesterday my winflash free trial said i have 31 days left, today it said 30, so i must have started my trial period already i just cant get pass the "continue' button without i assume these files.

thanks for all your help!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Global Moderator

When you receive the definition file, it will have a read me file that will tell you how to add def file to winflash.

After trial period is over, you can buy winflash for about 20 bucks. Then you can use it forever.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When you receive the definition file, it will have a read me file that will tell you how to add def file to winflash.

After trial period is over, you can buy winflash for about 20 bucks. Then you can use it forever.
ok, i understand what you're saying and i'm also watching the tuner pro video and if i follow his instructions i should be able to open the tuner cat winflash free trial(which i currently cant) then add the def. file to it(like how your saying). i'm probabaly being a rock and not doing something in sequence but i'll wait for the file and then try to log into the winflash. oh, and he says after the 30 day trial is done you can delete the program and then reinstall it again for another free 30 day trial. But hey, $20 aint gonna break me either. Tuning the PCM is a first for me and understanding this programing, EE hack( is written in C++ and QT), definition file, jargon/lingo is a little over my head to understand but i'll give it my best shot and see if i can connect the dots. Again, thanks very much for the help.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Global Moderator

If you go to the following link, you can find some tuning info written for the average person. Also do a google search for "pcm tuning info". I'm betting you will find some good info there also. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you go to the following link, you can find some tuning info written for the average person. Also do a google search for "pcm tuning info". I'm betting you will find some good info there also. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
i'm still having a problem logging into the winflash. A couple weeks ago i installed it. got the C.A.T.S shortcut on my desk top, and like i was saying i couldnt get past the 30 day trial period "continue" button. So last week and this past weekend the only thing i knew how to do was uninstall it and then reinstall it. Well, when i reinstalled it the C.A.T.S shortcut doesnt appear any more. So i kept uninstalling it and reinstalling it but i couldnt get it back. I'm pretty sure i uninstalled everything but now i'm not so sure. The only other thing i can think of is to install/download it on my desktop CP/ thumbdrive and then install it back onto the laptop. Something tells me that part of the original winflash program is still on my laptop and when i keep trying to install it, something is preventing the C.A.T.S shortcut to install. I am computer savvy but i got my limits
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Global Moderator

You need to go into "my computer" and then open the program files. I can't remember if winflash or tunercat obd 1 tuner installs in program files or program files x86.

When you locate the winflash or tunercat folder, open it. The icon to start program will be in file. Send it to desktop.

I run windows 7 on my computer and am not real familiar with windows 8 or 10. But they will have a way to get into the program files.

If all else fails contact the people at tunercat. They know more about program than anyone else.

Since both programs were designed when windows 95 or 98 was being used, you may have to run program in compatibility mode for it to function correctly. win xp compatibility worked for me on my windows 7 computer. One last trick, sometimes running an older program as "administrator" does the trick.

I don't have my 95 anymore so no longer have tunercat obd 1 tuner on my computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement