Tuning Software - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Tuning Software

I have a '94 Z M6 and I need to get a tune, from what I have been reading PCMforless is the best choice. I have ordered the OBD1 cable from Moates, I have a laptop and need software. Could you guys advise me on what software I need and where to get it from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Founder

LT1 Edit is available from www.carputing.com

- 2007 Sunburst Orange HHR LT - Daily Driver :: Tuned by Trifecta
- 1996 Trans Am WS6 -- SOLD 6/07

- TNfbody.com -- Founding Member
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:54 PM

LT1 edit is nice but vin locked. Tunercats is only $90 and isnt. Brian at PCMforless has a lot of good things said about his work. I personally go through Ion Soltan @ Madz28.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:57 PM

This may be a stupid question but what do you mean that lt1 edit is "vin locked." Also I was looking in to buying lt1 edit and was wondering about the pros and cons of it. Thanx
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnolan
This may be a stupid question but what do you mean that lt1 edit is "vin locked." Also I was looking in to buying lt1 edit and was wondering about the pros and cons of it. Thanx
Unless you buy the expensive pro version it can only be used on one car as its tagged to your serial #(VIN=Vehicle Identification Number)

Buy a spare PCM and send it to PCMFL or Madwolf to program along with your Vin and modlist.

Madwolf is $80.00.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamtom
Unless you buy the expensive pro version it can only be used on one car as its tagged to your serial #(VIN=Vehicle Identification Number)

Buy a spare PCM and send it to PCMFL or Madwolf to program along with your Vin and modlist.

Madwolf is $80.00.
How much is a spare PCM to buy? And is Lt1-edit an easy to use, begginer program?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 PM

there is enough info on the web on lt1 edit and tunercats that there is no reason you cant tune it yourself...

"YEH THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO TURBO....FOR TORQUE ART WITH ME..."

The 408 is in and if you aint running 10's.......
YOU STILL WANTS NONE
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire
How much is a spare PCM to buy? And is Lt1-edit an easy to use, begginer program?
I got my spare on Ebay for $75.00

I have no experience with LT1 edit,my friend tuned his H/C car with it on a dyno.
I will ask him about it,but there were a few sites up that had LT1 Edit bin files for future tuners to use and sample.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 AM

If you have the laptop and cable. You can save a few bucks by going with Ion's $60 email package. This will give you unlimited updates w/o needing to send your pcm in everytime.

http://madz28.com/9495.php

Second option down.

This is what I had Ion do. After recently losing my flash during programming. I sent my pcm to Ion, had him socket the pcm, upload his tune onto two chips. One for the pcm, and another incase I ever lose the flash on the main chip again.

This way I just send the chip that the flash was lost on, into Ion for repair. While throwing my copy chip into the pcm and i'm back up and running. No downtime.

My cars wiring harness is faulty from the aldl connector - to - pcm so I'm now using a off-board programming wiring harness, so i shouldn't lose any more.

Whenever I need something changed, I have a copy of TunerCats on this desktop. I'm still learning so if its too difficult for me, ill just let Ion know and he'll send the updated .bin file via email to me, and I'll upload it to the pcm via the bench-top wiring harness.

Last edited by Bawls; 09-09-2005 at 06:26 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 AM

I'm new to this board, but I have done lots of tune R&D. I have both Ion and Bryan for my 94 Impala SS. Both were very comparable. I also use Tunercat to do some of my own adjustments for shift points, etc. When using tunercat, you can "compare" files and see any differences in the 2 tunes. So I kinda took both, used one's engine tune and the others tranny and speedo tune...voila'. runs real good. Actually, for the cost of unlimited tunes from both programmers, the cost of one PCM repair from Ion and the cost of tunercat w/ def. file was still less than LT1 edit.

Just my $.02
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Founder

You can compare files with LT1 Edit too

- 2007 Sunburst Orange HHR LT - Daily Driver :: Tuned by Trifecta
- 1996 Trans Am WS6 -- SOLD 6/07

- TNfbody.com -- Founding Member
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:16 AM

$$$$$??????

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Price on most tunning software is right around the $4-500 price mark for one PCM. SAdly enough there is no HPTuners for LT1's. Sapper I never saw you sat. or I would have done your emmisions stuff for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement