My 1st gm - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

My 1st gm

I come from owning lots of thunderbirds,mark 8s and cougars.
No,not one mustang...ever..lol
Any ways.
I now have a 97 anv z28. 97k miles and almost stock.
Got a set of camaro 21 inch 5th gen dealer option rims and Pirelli tires ( only need the last front tires)..lol the rear tires were 1000$... Unreal but thankfully the last tire needed to complete them is the front which is only 200.. I like my current rims on the car but I has a set of 16 s that look like the 21 option rims so I don't know..
Maybe I will trade or sell the dealer rims if the price or parts are rite..
I plan on intake,heads,a mild cam ,full exhaust and tune..will come piece by piece as I won't just have 1000s to drop on the car at once .
I liked my fords and all but this chevy has raw power. And i mild built fords and I already feel this soon will become my fastest car I owned ..
I miss the luxury and ride quality but I just love the sound of this camaro and that low end,instant torque and power..
I've done maintenance so far to,have it running and driving very nice and hunted down a new dash pad which really makes it look nice on the I side as its all that was wrong, well and little hole in driver bolster.
So here's a few pics of my car..
Attached Images

1997 z28 30th anv...
Your mustang was really hauling a** as I passed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Your 97 looks like you found a really nice car.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Your 97 looks like you found a really nice car.
I feel I did too.. I traded my 04 300c that had 180k miles and was a work beater..lol, the kid wanted a hemi I guess.. What a turd that 300 was imo.
Its strange I got the camaro as I'm into the looked over cars..like a thunderbird or marauder over a mustang or an impala ss over a camaro.. But the impalas all were over priced or needed to be put back to stock so it didn't ride on 26in rims .
I have done lots of reading using the "search " button but figured I should join as I plan on having this car and or more fbodys on after..
I have always always always wanted a big nose ram air trans am though.
But im happy with my camaro, just like yesterday..was cleaning it and had some guy on his bike pull up in my drive way and we talked about his 95 and my car for an hour..seems a good crowd too we are..
Well, nice to meet you guys and I look forward to building this baby up

1997 z28 30th anv...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the forum nice car!

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Build got put on hold but atleast it has a new coil , wires , spark plugs, water pump, 2 seals in the timing cover , belt and a tensioner.
The condition of my old plugs it was amazing she ran at all noneless with no misfires and was still quick. Now she hauls ass

1997 z28 30th anv...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I did done digging but can't find any definite info..
On the inside of my heads under the oil filler tube my heads read gm4 . How can I determine what heads or even what engine my car for sure has.it just seems to have more power than a few others I have been in. I do know it's just an lt1 intake because it's not red.but at idle it even sounds as if it has a hotter cam than stock for sure. I half figured it was because it needed a tune up but after the tune up I can't believe how much power is back in the engine now..
What numbers and where on my block or heads should I look for..?...

1997 z28 30th anv...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Global Moderator

If you do a google search using "92-97 lt1 engine information" as your search query, there are several good sites that will come up. The nook & trany site gives part & casting numbers. The engine rebuilder site has much good info.

Also shbox.com has many lt1 part numbers.

And if you search hard enough you can still find the 4th gen camaro parts book for download

Since you didn't buy your z28 new, previous owner could have built up engine. Since most all of the high performance stuff is on the inside of the engine, it's hard to know what's in engine by looking at the outside.

.Another thing about mass production, even though specs are the same for all the lt1 engines of the same year, there are always going to be engines that perform beter than average and worse than average.

PS Keep us informed on the $70 ebay opti. Maybe they have improved it over the years. Or maybe not.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 12-06-2018 at 07:00 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you do a google search using "92-97 lt1 engine information" as your search query, there are several good sites that will come up. The nook & trany site gives part & casting numbers. The engine rebuilder site has much good info.

Also shbox.com has many lt1 part numbers.

And if you search hard enough you can still find the 4th gen camaro parts book for download

Since you didn't buy your z28 new, previous owner could have built up engine. Since most all of the high performance stuff is on the inside of the engine, it's hard to know what's in engine by looking at the outside.

.Another thing about mass production, even though specs are the same for all the lt1 engines of the same year, there are always going to be engines that perform beter than average and worse than average.

PS Keep us informed on the $70 ebay opti. Maybe they have improved it over the years. Or maybe not.
Well so far so good 300 miles into all the new parts. Cooling system is fully burped too. Haha the wife took the car to work and I told her to get on it a little and tell me how it feels..well,she said it's scary..lol..either those few performance ignition parts helped alot or it was just down on power that much . The old plugs were terrible and I couldn't find and numbers or anything on the opti that came out so idk if it was original stock but all the plugs except for 2 were stock a.c Delco. I just couldn't believe it didn't have even a single missfire with the old plugs idk maybe they went to shit when the opti failed some how . I will try again to upload pics because they were the worst plugs I think I have ever removed from a motor . Lol and it was still running good..maybe the plugs were so bad that they caused the opti to fail by trying to keep the propped spark through them terrible terrible I'm sure super high resistant plugs.idk possibly someone was spraying at a time on them??????? I'm kind of scared , I guess after 3k miles I will pull a few of my new e3 and check them.
Now? Now I save for drilled n slotted rotors n better pads n ss brakelines. And I got my pacesetters coated so will work on piecing together the exhaust then too and I do want a hypertech handheld tuner but idk. We have a tuning shop like 15min from me and I'm pretty sure they have a dyno n all but idk the price that route would run me. At least with the hypertech I coukjd be into it for 150-200 only .
I have to keep things cost effective because it is a 100k mile car and a daily driver until I get the wife another suv..

1997 z28 30th anv...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Global Moderator

Don't waste your money on a hypertech tuner. They provide a 1 tune fits all service. I had one years ago. Bought it used for $50 and sold it for the same amount. Thing to know about the hypertech. When you use it to tune, it's locked from using it on another car until you reverse the tune back to stock.

Better to get a tune by a professional tuner, or buy good obd 2 tuning software and do it yourself.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't waste your money on a hypertech tuner. They provide a 1 tune fits all service. I had one years ago. Bought it used for $50 and sold it for the same amount. Thing to know about the hypertech. When you use it to tune, it's locked from using it on another car until you reverse the tune back to stock.

Better to get a tune by a professional tuner, or buy good obd 2 tuning software and do it yourself.
If I can find a hypertech for 100 or under I'm gonna get it and use it for its few features I could benefit from now. Then when all my mods are finished then I will do a custom tune.
But hey, if you know anyone that wants to part with their hypertech I'm game for it..
I'm very familiar with how they work, I used them alot on my Ford's and actually really liked them for bolt on applications that needed say lower fan turn on or Speedo gear correction ect..

1997 z28 30th anv...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Global Moderator

I found mine by searching on craigslist pretty much every day until I found one at the right price.

You can use searchtempest to make searching craigslist easier. With search tempest, you can search all the craiglist cities in your area. I usual go out 200 miles from my zip code. www.searchtempest.org
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Sorry guys !!!!
I traded old beetle juice my camaro for my new car silver bullet a 2001 e55 Amg kompressor ... it has full limo tint extra rims and tires for winter and full exhaust . It's very very clean with black leather interior ..
Thank you guys for the help with my camaro .. I will own another one for my next car but will be getting into an ls platfirm..I needed something more suitable for a daily driver

1997 z28 30th anv...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:44 PM

Welcome to the club, I have 2 LT1 F bodies, one has turned into a parts car for the nice one, but they are good engines if properly maintained. My 94 Formula has 190k miles (thats the parts car) and my 97 WS6 has 150k miles. Both run pretty good, the 94 was babied and is still on the original engine. The only reason its a parts car is because the front got rammed through a bush and messed up the metal and plastic all over the front, and its high mileage. It had some issues with the opti and sensors but the engine itself is still pretty cool.

Besides the opti, and the plastic stuff that breaks, they are great cars. The 6 speeds are incredibly fun for ripping around, and the autos are really nice drivers. I love both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement