Hello I'm new here! Random question at. Bottom - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Hello I'm new here! Random question at. Bottom

Hello I've been a lurking for a while haven't had to post I've always been able to find just about everything on the fourm.. Been trying to get my 94 formula going again and right or righter this time ... I thought I was almost done I have done a Ton of work and research and cleaning and stressing and searching but it is a labor of love...... I have been a f body fan since I was in fifth grade and that's right when the car I had was first roaming the streets .... I'm 30... I actually still have a plastic model 0f a a 93 camaro I built then.. This is the first one I have ever owned and it has been a ride thus far.. Had the car going ok for a biit... when I got it it was hardly running, leaking like a siv things were hooked up wrong (like the overflow hose)...but it ran ok with a intermittent miss that seemed to improve then worsened to a point where I could no longer drive it ...

And there it sat for a year or two while I just rode my motorcycle ( fireblade lol) ... Well it's getting cold And I wrecked my bike a while back doing 90 mph wheelie so I've been doing a lot of work to the bird trying to get it going right.. Well the car looks great for 94 original with only 60k on the clock so I'd like to get it running as good as it looks .. It's hard to say what's been replaced or done to it or what's actually original aside from headers and intake...I'm not trying to make this a drag car I just want it to run like its supposed to...

So I fixed the leaky intake which came back did some stuff to mess with the spark no go found out about the opti and that's what I've been messing with along with whatever else I can freshen up along the way... So redid intake this time Round with Gm gaskets ( not steel cores felpros) also changed as many other seals as I could .. Finding good parts has been no fun.. Even had dropped the oil pan and changed the timing cover gasket cuz I dropped the opti seal spring into its hole .. That really stunk I found it but now its getting cold and I have a whole new set of problems .... I got everything new opti, new waterpump,... I should a been done but has been one step foward and two back ...now I practically am and well I'm just gonna A ask this once here,,,, did Gm make more than one style opti spline ? There is a cam dowl pin and I have a spline drive ... But was there ever different splines styles like where the points and shoulders were reversed? But anyway hi and thanks for all the help thus Far and def thanks to shbox

Last edited by flamsbird; 11-23-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 AM

Nice story man i'm a few years older than you I remember first seeing the 93 camaros on the lot one morning riding the bus to middle school. I was instantly in love Sounds like you've got a really nice car that's been taken care of and low miles! How about some pics of this bird?

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM
10 Second Opti Club

Hope this helps. shbox.com is great for lt1 info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

That is the best picture I could find too!! every one I've seen looks like that thanks as does mine...well ill update to see how things end up... right now it is hurry up and wait stand by to stand by
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replys ... I am trying to figure out how to post pictures here it has been a while and I just have an iPhone .. But I have an update the bird is running ... Hurray well I guess for now I have a few more issues to deal with.... The car runs and I did drive it very quickly down the street and it seemed to go through the gears ok no backfiring hurray!!! So the opti and new wires seemed to fix that ... Oh and the heat works hurray !!!

That is the good and I am very happy although it was pretty frustrating dealing with the optispark and getting it put on... You would think that that would be the easiest part of the job ... But it wasn't. I had to literally file the splines for quite a while to get to fit even close to right was pretty unhappy with MSD cuz it was the second opti I recieved and was way off for fitment... But it worked .

Now for the bad ... I have an exhaust leak coming from my header on the passenger side out of the air pump port which is caped off ... Seems like the cap was part of the headers I have no IDEa what brand but they are not long tubes I don't think... Thing won't budge rusted pretty good ... The other side has some kind of sealer which I can't see in the passengers sides threads (tailpipe sealer??)... Question ... Would this cause a bad enough rich condition to cause my oil to smell like gas after running for only a short few times ... I might have overprimed the fuel pump ...I just changed the oil again and went for a short ride tho ... So I can check again...

Also chasing down any leaks has been hard because it's been raining and when it does it goes into the engine bay via the wiper cowl pop pins... Got to seal that up!!! ... I've been putting a bag over the motor for now ... But waters got to go somewhere and I'm having trouble telling if I have leaks or the rains still dripping out somehow ... Gaaarh ... I def getting a leak where the oil cooler hoses are connected with screw claps that don't seem to be working... Thinking about ditching it and running a bypass hose and getting a filter adapter .. Does the filter adapter need a Bypass valve?? Should I get one without so I kno I'm filtering the oil? ... I'm worried about that oilcooler after what I have read although its the black one I believe was made by Moroso...

What else oh yeah the drivers side valve train is louder and seems to have a problem at one spot ... I've yet to take the valve covers off... I doubt the gaskets are reusable ? I don't know if its causing me some issue too or idk but the car seemed to run good better than before for sure but seemed a little sluggish down low off idle and idles at like 8 or 900rpm... Not sure if I'm being paranoid but I haven't been running the car just want her to be ok.. I hope I didn't do to much damage when I drove it in disrepair before

Last edited by flamsbird; 12-18-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

So the car did sit and the brakes are terrible and it did pull good once it got moving so that might be what I was feeling idk ..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Here are some resources that might help. shbox.com
The site is full of good lt1 info.

Next, head to sticky threads of 4th gen section. We have 4th gen parts books and 94 service manual there.

For diagnosing running problems on your 94, an obd 1 scan tool is a must. In the 4th gen sticky threads we have a great obd 1 scan program called "scan9495" It was written by our member GaryDoug for our lt1 cars.

It scans for regular codes, ABS & SIR codes as well. It does running sensor scans and will log data to a file for later playback. It also tests engine & auto trans actuators. All this for free.

However, you will need a 12 pin aldl to usb port cable. They can be bought at OBD Diagnostics

Also I recommend a $70 pc based oscilloscope for diagnosing optispark problems. It also is good for testing 50 hertz fuel enable signal. And with an amp probe and spark tester leads, you can use the scope to diagnose most problems that occur with electrical system. There's a guy on youtube called "scannerDanner" that has many videos showing how to use scope for different problems.
or TunerCat

Program works for pc based computers.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 12-18-2015 at 07:41 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pics!! Thanks for the diagnostic info ... i wish i knew there was a service manual before shoot ...I need a laptop I wish I had a droid phone that would be cool to set up!! unfortunately just have this crapple now jk...I have a amp reader that's it no power probe ...electronics are not my strong suit I can connect wires most of the time....

that reminds me I think the previous owner wired in a fan switch ??? it only goes on if u pull a sensor and I got no Idea!! it seems like its wired to the power wires near the battery there is a fuse and another little black plastic box thing ... The fuse was burned out.. bad! (25 amp).. I took it out also there is power wire that is not connected seems to be related... There is a switch in the car that now somehow magically lights up but does not do much else seemingly... It was mostly just a mystery before although I knew the fans didnt work, thought it was for the fog lights though!?!? .. The only thing I can figure why the switch never lit up before is I did fix a power connection that was bad in the same power wire location near the battery... This seemed to be from the factory harness not the mystery wiring so ?? I suppose maybe there's a wiring diagram in the service manual idk how it's really wired in its hard to tell I wonder if I can take it out and rig it to the fog lights instead... I ditced the 160 thermostat for a 180 it seems like it runs pretty cool with the 180 and is staying cooler with the system bled properly .. But I'd just like the fan to come on at normal temp ... Yeah I got to get good with this stuff pretty quick got to figure out what's up I don't even know this thing could have cam I don't think so doesnt seem like it but all this mystery stuff makes it harder to diagnose things I guess def need to set up scan program
Attached Images

Last edited by flamsbird; 12-18-2015 at 09:43 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Without the Fireblade
Attached Images

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Global Moderator

Factory manual has oem wiring for fans. Shoebox's site has wiring diagram for manual fan switch. The way it's set up, when you turn switch on fans run. And when fan switch is off, pcm can still command fans on.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Huh I will check it out dosent seem like they are working at all it gotup to 210 on the first bleed... mabey with a new fuse?!?.. I tried it with a spare fuse from the wipers but didnt seem to do much but I still thought the switch controlled the fog lights then lol thanks... There is one power wire not connected too so I will figure it out mostly worried about the gas smell in the oil and valve noise tho got to figure out how to seal up that little exhaust leak and any others as well!!! I guess hope its all not too bad fingers crossed.. I just hope the car doesn't go up in flames when I connect that mystery wire at least it's a red wire not the green wire
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 07:33 AM
Global Moderator

If you have a fan switch installed by former owner, the factory fan system has probably been hacked up or at least bypassed.

You need to get the factory manual, consult the wiring diagrams. Then see what has been changed.

Do not connect the mystery wire. Instead follow it and see what it's attached to.

The diagram on shoebox's site is best way of hooking fans up. It uses all of the original wiring and your fan switch will have no actual power running through it. The switch is used as a ground for the fan relays. The ground wire from switch goes to one side of relay coil. That would be the blue & green wires in pic on shoebox's site. The other side of fan switch goes to a good ground.

If all the other wiring and the 2 relays are good when you turn switch on the fan relay coil gets it's ground, relay points close, power goes to fan motors, fans run.

If you only have a single pole single throw switch, you can hook switch to just blue wire in the pic and high speed fans will run. The info you need is in #4, 5, & 6 in the electrical section of shoebox's site. Link to site is in post # 7.

If you want to hook up a fan switch with none of the factory wiring, let me know and I'll do a how to write up.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 12-19-2015 at 07:47 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that helps I'm seeing thoes blue and green wires I will get to the bottom of it I tried tracing the mystery wire a few times and it goes to the area of the switch but am not positive lol...gonna have to look from inside the car ... I think that seems like a good way to wire it up with the ground as the switch ... The switch has power somehow cuz it is lighting up... but I will get to the bottom of this... Got that exhaust cap of of the air port ... Ran the motor after soaking it a few days with some liquid wrench and tightened it and it broke... I don't know how to seal it up good the threads are good tho so ...not about go put rtv on it so short of a weld was thinking maybe that tailpipe sealer stuff would work idk
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok well I was able to tighten it down all the way now so I'm thinking that should help and put a little hi temp thread sealer on there don't know how it will hold up but it seems lik it should seal now at least ... I tightened a few header bolts too wasn't really able to get a torque wrench in there but some were a little loose I guess will see if anything improves might try to run it a little bit gonna pull the PCM fuse foe a while and now mabey I can get it somewhere to run some data
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Someone said somthing about resetting the idle ... I don't know if that's somthing I should mess with I cleaned the TBI but stayed away from the iac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement