LS1LT1 Forum banner

The ever expanding project 2nd try

7K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  USMC 
#1 ·
Decided to start a new thread with my ever expanding project. It started with a freeze plug leak, so I decided to change them all, which involves pulling engine and trans.

With engine compartment empty, next I decided to prep the compartment for paint. I have about 2 quarts of base coat left over from when I re painted a couple of years ago.

Next came changing all the crispy rubber parts like vacuum line, radiator & heater hoses, and other assorted parts. Won't actually do it until engine goes back in, but have all the material I need.

As long as I was changing rubber parts, I decided to change the motor mounts also. Because on the 3rd gen, GM put the nuts to the mounts in a place where you can't get to them without taking the control arm free from the k member, that job was a bear.

Finally, at least for now, today I decided a new battery box would be good as it's the only rust on the whole car.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well aware of those damn motor mount bolts... much cursing was had doing them on a friends car.

Whats with the Xmas lights? :p

(PS moved your thread, hope this is where you wanted it)

#6 · (Edited)
I thank you for the suggestion, but I was thinking more on the lines of installing a rocket engine. 1/4 mile in 2 seconds flat:devil:

But seriously, 3rd gens did get the iron duke from 82 to I think 85. Bad mistake. My little 3.1 weighs less than the duke and has the same 140 horsepower as my buddies 305 82 trans am. That's it under the cover in my carport. I get an honest 20 mpg around town and 27 on the highway.

#8 ·
You have to think about the time when the 82 3rd gen was designed. Performance was out, pollution control was new and cars had many performance problems and got pretty bad gas mileage. So GM thought they would put the old iron duke in the 3rd gen as the base economy choice. A whole whopping 90 horsepower to send the 3rd gen down the road.

Gas had also hit a dollar a gallon for the first time when the 3rd gen was being designed. Oh for the days of dollar gas again.

#10 ·
Today I did the lay out and cut out of some scrap sheet metal to make a new battery box for my car.
Tomorrow, I am going to bend it to the proper shape and paint it with barbecue black to help resist the heat from spot welding it into place.

Will also cut out the old box and clean up any rust I find in the sheet metal below it.

#11 · (Edited)
Well the project just expanded again. When I cut out the old battery box today, I noticed the rust had spread into the headlight panel also. Not real bad, but if I let it go it would eventually get real bad. A stitch in time saves 9. Straight from Ben Franklin's poor richard's almanac.

Will take pic tomorrow of car without bumper cover, headlights, and bumper bar.

#20 · (Edited)
Another detour, after painting the engine compartment, looked at the cowl area, area circled in red, and decided it looked like crap. So painted it, then decided to paint engine with some turquoise I had.

Like Picasso, the painter, I have entered by blue period. So don't come round as I'll paint ya blue.

Attachments

#23 ·
Love the color man and a very very clean turd gen!!

I rattle canned my engine bay but I think I'm gonna re do it with a gun!

#24 ·
Painted transmission to match engine, bolted them together. Made and installed block off plates where a/c and fan box were.

Engine will go back in this week hopefully. Crossing my fingers that I can get the motor mount bolt holes to line up on first try.

Will try to get some more pics up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.