95 lt1 t56 clutch bleed?????? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

95 lt1 t56 clutch bleed??????

oka so i installed my new slave cylinder and did every thing by the book ,,,, but now the pedal falls to the floor no pressure at all, so i need to bleed. i dont understand how to bleed it at all (NO BLEEDER SKREW AND ALL) i know some one has already talked about this but i cant find it anywere. i need to get the car on the road soon so someone help me

95 trans am; shade tree built rear mount. Under construction again
71 camaro;heads,cam,stall,gear,lots of nitrous
,01 frontier; dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jzork
i believe this belongs in a different section but oh well. from what i understand you take the slave cylinder off the housing and pump it by hand. i think i herd someone say pump it 10 times, check fluid, and repeat 3 or so times.

95 Trans Am M6 - 355 lt1, Moroso CAI, certifiable redneck exhaust, Hurst
short-throw shifter. still sitting in the garage getting kinks worked out
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM

^^^true that^^^

but i know when i replaced mine i had the wife assist on the pumping of the clutch pedal for about 10 minutes! no [email protected]$ until she got pressure on it to where it was solid as soon as you put you food on it. but i was under the car undoing the bleeder screw....a messy but same method way i say is CRACK the braided line that goes to the slave every time a buddy/wife/gf pumps and HOLDS down the pedal then you close the valve/tighten the line, have then release then crack it open again as soon as you instruct them to pressure the pedal, hold, bleed some fuid out, close the line, release ect...like i said, i did it for a good 10 mins or until the old lady says shes too tired.....lol and i had a solid pedal.....hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jzork
Quote:
Originally Posted by txthndr View Post
^^^true that^^^

but i know when i replaced mine i had the wife assist on the pumping of the clutch pedal for about 10 minutes! no [email protected]$ until she got pressure on it to where it was solid as soon as you put you food on it. but i was under the car undoing the bleeder screw....a messy but same method way i say is CRACK the braided line that goes to the slave every time a buddy/wife/gf pumps and HOLDS down the pedal then you close the valve/tighten the line, have then release then crack it open again as soon as you instruct them to pressure the pedal, hold, bleed some fuid out, close the line, release ect...like i said, i did it for a good 10 mins or until the old lady says shes too tired.....lol and i had a solid pedal.....hope this helps
there is no bleeder screw on a lt1 t56

95 Trans Am M6 - 355 lt1, Moroso CAI, certifiable redneck exhaust, Hurst
short-throw shifter. still sitting in the garage getting kinks worked out
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM

ther may be a "mighty vac" in your future as the LT1 hydraulics are not designed to bleed.

what has worked is drop the slave from the bellhousing mount and pump by hand from underneath car while someone else watches the top resevoir for bubbles and refills it as needed. This will take a LONG time as air is easily trapped in the system. Also make sure you hold the clutch pedal up (zip tie or something) inside the car so there is no pressure on it.

you can also take the entire assemble out of the car and bench bleed it
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

i used a mighty vac and it did nothing i will tty to tear it apart and bleed it by hand

,01 frontier; dd
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM

mighty vac should do it better..

you need to confirm the piston on the MC is fully extended. this is why I said to hold/zip tie clutch pedal up for bleeding. you can even pull the clip holding the piston to pedal assembly also. that piston needs to be fully extended for bleeding.

I am talking about the piston on MC..not slave
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

it is done i removed the slave and just held it right side up and pumped it as my friend watched the level,,,,,,,,,,wow that stage 3 is stiff!!!!!

,01 frontier; dd
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1 rice eater! View Post
it is done i removed the slave and just held it right side up and pumped it as my friend watched the level,,,,,,,,,,wow that stage 3 is stiff!!!!!
did u zip tie the clutch pedal up or anything, im having the same problem with my car!

1994 Z28 Ls1, & Ls1 T56 swap, in the process
2005 Gmc Sierra 4X4
1999 Toyota Tacoma DD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLSS View Post
ther may be a "mighty vac" in your future as the LT1 hydraulics are not designed to bleed.
Oh really? And where did you hear that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1 rice eater! View Post
That is the recommended method for bleeding the hydraulics. The Mity-vac method does not work very well, it will suck air back into the system.

1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan7 View Post
Oh really? And where did you hear that?

the GM LT1/4 pull clutch hydraulic system is a sealed "closed" system installed as a complete unit. So it is not "designed" to bleed. Yes you can by pumping it from the bottom (slave) but under normal circumstances you should not have to "bleed" it. If air was introduced by seperateing the slave and mc you can bleed by hand pumping but results vary.

and holding the clutch pedal up (zip tie) or removing the clip/pin of the MC part that attaches to clutch pedal helps because that piston wants to be fully extended to allow any air to push up to the resevoir while pumping the slave.

sounds like the Op resolved his issues
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
the GM LT1/4 pull clutch hydraulic system is a sealed "closed" system installed as a complete unit. So it is not "designed" to bleed. Yes you can by pumping it from the bottom (slave)but under normal circumstances you should not have to "bleed" it. If air was introduced by seperateing the slave and mc you can bleed by hand pumping but results vary.
I was curious where you heard it. Because whether you believe they were "designed" to be bled or not, GM does in fact have its own recommended method for bleeding the hydraulics. Why would they have that, if they were to never be bled?

If they were designed to never be bled, are we to believe that any time there is air in the system, or a leak, or if you were just replacing the fluid, that you must replace the entire hydraulic system? That's nonsense.

I myself have had outstanding results using the GM method, as have many others.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
, GM does in fact have its own recommended method for bleeding the hydraulics. .
Spartan

Not saying it can't be done but simply saying it is a sealed system. yes it "can" be bleed but unfortunately GM did not spec a bleed screw/fitting to do so easily.

I have separated the system before on a A4 to T56 swap on my car and did bleed it. Others have used a Mighty Vac with good results as opposed to the "hand pump" from underneath the car or bench bleeding.

On a stock sealed system a unit requireing bleeding would indicate there is a leak somewhere in the system and bleeding it, IMHO, would we a band aid.

Ideally GM would have made one so the entire system could be flushed considerably more easily than it is in stock form.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Not saying it can't be done but simply saying it is a sealed system. yes it "can" be bleed but unfortunately GM did not spec a bleed screw/fitting to do so easily.
So what? Just because it doesn't have a bleeder screw, you're not supposed to bleed it? How does GM get them bled in the first place when they assemble them then? They just dump in the fluid and leave it?

I really don't care about your preconceived thoughts on hydraulics. You can argue all you want that it was never "designed" to be bled, but it doesn't make it true. And now I'm done arguing this. If you don't get it, that's fine. I think I've made my point to everyone else.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I really don't care about your preconceived thoughts on hydraulics. You can argue all you want that it was never "designed" to be bled, but it doesn't make it true. And now I'm done arguing this. If you don't get it, that's fine. I think I've made my point to everyone else.
wow spartan, don't get your panties in a wad, not "argueing" with you or anyone else. The OP did get his issue resolved....and did it as I and others had suggested by "pumping" slave from bottom.

I have also said the LT1 hydraulics would be "easier" to bleed if they did have a bleed screw as aftermarket slaves have. Sorry useing the word "designed" was so upsetting to you.

as how the manufacturer of the sealed system fills them in the factory, don't know but please enlighten us if you do.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement