ac compressor not kicking on - Page 2 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw18 View Post
iv been trying to charge my trucks up a 03 sport trac compressor kicks on then off i got a gauge from advanced i hook it up and when the compressor kicks on the pressure goes down to below green and when it kicks off it builds it goes way into the red on the gauge then when it gets so far it kicks the ac compressor back on and repeats this process it didnt blow cold so i tried to put some coolant in it i had ac on high when i tried it i put some in it and it still blows hot any ideas?
Holy hijacking, run-on sentence with no punctuation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator

When compressor is not running gauge will read high because you are measuring the pressure in the small section where the charge fitting is. When compressor kicks on you are reading the whole system pressure which is low, so the compressor cycles on and off . When you have added enough r-134 to the system the compressor should stay on and you will get a valid pressure reading. If filling system doesn't cause system to blow cold, then you have other problems in the system.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 AM

sorry for hijacking since everybody was on the subject of ac compressors figured instead of opening a new thread id just ask on here. and as for the run on sentences... i was trying to type a message before my laptop shut off on account of a bad charger. thanks for the info that answered my question thanks again

2008 toyota tundra trd5 5.7 v8 ( faster then it looks ) my daily

1991 s10 back under the knife.

RIP
2003 sport trac
lt1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a scanner but my brother does. I will borrow his and see if I have any codes. My ses light is not on or anything so I don't know. Oh well I guess I will work some overtime to pay for some shop time....LOL
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Global Moderator

Go back to post # 14 and actually read it this time. Almost all the codes for a/c don't make the ses light come on so you can't know until you scan for codes.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

ok sorry didn't catch that part...lol Thanks for the help.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

a little update for you guys.....I went ahead and tried to put freon in the system and it worked!!!! As soon as the 1st can was half way gone the compressor kicked on and sucked the rest down quick. I put another half can in it and quit because I didnt want to put to much in it. It blows ice cold!!! I am glad I didnt buy that compressor now...... Now I just have to find the leak. Thanks for the help you all saved me a bunch of money!!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I have one more question. While the car is at idle what temp should the air be in the center vent? It was 80 degrees outside with high humidity and the center vent was blowing 45 degrees on max ac.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdpd View Post
I have one more question. While the car is at idle what temp should the air be in the center vent? It was 80 degrees outside with high humidity and the center vent was blowing 45 degrees on max ac.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks shoebox!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 PM

I've been searching for answers as to why the cooling fans are not turning on for me. The AC needs to have a certain pressure in order for the fans to turn on, and the AC compressor on the car that I'm working on is not coming on. I'm suspecting low pressure in the AC due to a leak like mentioned in the previous thread. So with a low pressure condition its possible this could affect the fans not coming on? I don't know why these damn things are so complicated. Fans should be on when temp gauge goes up, goes off when its low. For me it doesn't matter they don't go on at all. I found this on another website....

Fan Mode Temperature A/C Pressure
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Primary (RH) Fan ON: 107 C / 225 F 189 psi
Primary (RH) Fan OFF: 103 C / 217 F 150 psi
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Secondary (LH) Fan ON: 111 C / 232 F 240 psi
Secondary (LH) Fan OFF: 107 C / 225 F 210 psi

1995 Trans Am
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 PM

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I can't find answers to my problem. My 94 V6 car didn't have working air when I bought it. I was told a recharge kit from Wal-Mart had been put it, but it only worked for a while. That told me it was just a leak. I bought a gauge kit ( which reads high and low pressure ) and some freon. My neighbor has an AC pump that he let me use. We hooked the gauges and sure enough, nothing. We hooked up the pump and let it run for 20 minutes. Then we closed the lines and unhooked the pump, but it held vacuum. With a leak in the system, you'd expect that to bleed off and the pressure to return to zero. We went ahead and put in one can of freon ( 14 oz ) and the compressor kicked on. It was blowing cold. When we unhooked the lines, it was hissing out of the high pressure valve. That explains why we couldn't see the leak with the lines hooked up.

Next day I bought a new valve and installed it after having the freon pumped out. Vacuumed out the system again for 20 minutes. Then added two 12 oz bottles of freon to the system. It was showing 30 lbs of pressure which is within parameters, and blowing cold. We drove the car for the next 3 days and the AC blew cold.

Fast forward to today. I get in the car to drive home after work, and I'm getting hot air. Upon further inspection, the compressor isn't kicking on at all. So I put the gauges back on and both the high and low are reading 45 lbs. No change at all even if I start the car.

Upon further inspection, the car is supposed to hold 2 lbs of freon. I thought the reading on the bottle was fluid oz, but it does say "weight" in front of it. So according to that, the system is 8 oz low. Seems simple enough, just add more. What I don't understand though is, why would the compressor kick on yesterday, but not today with the same amount of freon? Also, does it mean anything that the pressure was reading the same on both lines? Could that be indicative of a different problem?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Global Moderator

If when compressor was running, you had 45 lbs pressure on high side, that is way too low of a high side pressure. I can't give you an exact number it should read on high side. But factory service manual located at following link will give you pressures and trouble shooting procedures.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
If when compressor was running, you had 45 lbs pressure on high side, that is way too low of a high side pressure. I can't give you an exact number it should read on high side. But factory service manual located at following link will give you pressures and trouble shooting procedures.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
I guess I should have clarified. After filling the system the first time, it had 30 lbs on the LOW side. The high was higher when the compressor was running. It was only after the AC stopped working that it was reading about 45 on both gauges. I'm aware that's too low, but it's because the compressor wasn't kicking on. I added some more freon and it started working again, but only had 20 lbs on the low side. Mostly because I used the whole can and couldn't add anymore. This tells me I've got another leak. The bad valve wasn't the only leak. I'm going to have to put some leak finder in when I top off the freon tomorrow. Then I'll just have to drive it around and then check it with the black light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement