LS1LT1 Forum banner

My 1st engine removal. Need help.

Urgent 
1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  camaro-ice 
#1 ·
Im doing my first engine removal from top and Ive been googling to find answers but no avail. Just want to be certain Im doing everything right.

I have an engine hoist and a load leveler. Ive disconnected all wires and front accessories etc etc. Tranny and flywheel is removed. Radiator and Condensor is removed.

I chose the front driver side exhaust manifold bolt and rear passengers side bolt to hook up to load leveler. Is it ok to only use 2 bolts and are these bolts strong enough?? Im worried about the angle.
Is there a better place hook up the leveler to without removing the intake??

As you can see from the pics the chain is kinda short and the load leveler is pretty close to the intake, I can barely squeeze my fist between the engine and leveler. Because of that Im worried about the valve covers when I hoist the engine up, the chains could ruin them when the weight of the engine is on the chains. Is that a possibility??
Looking forward to your answers. :smile2:

#3 · (Edited)
Proper lt1 engine removal is from bottom. You lower whole eng, trans and front K-member with suspension. People do remove engine from top but it's not the recommended way to do the job.

Do a google search of removing lt1 engine from bottom. There should be write ups and videos of job.

I have a 4 part engine removal from bottom, pdf file. If you want it PM me with your email addrerss

#4 ·
I have limited space to work with at the front of the car, even less at the sides. Ive read up on the bottom method and dont see how I can do it in my garage space. I would go the bottom route if I had the space but this time engine goes out the top. I will have to push the car back to make room for the engine in my garage after removal.

My top concerns are the exhaust manifold bolt strength, can 2 of them hold an engine safely.
And the valve covers, if its possible to damage them when the chain rubs/presses on them during removal.

#6 ·
I would do as shoebox recommends. The intake bolts would give you a better angle for lifting. The bolts on the engine are a mixture of US sizes and metric. The bolts that hold intake on to engine are US size bolts. So if your worried about the bolt strength, you'll run into the same problem as you had when you were pulling the crank damper off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.