Urgent optispark change/issue - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

optispark change/issue

so my optispark gave out a couple weeks ago on my 93 z28. I ordered the msd one off jegs for 93-94. this is my first time changing one by myself, years back when I was just getting into cars I helped change one with my dad on his 95 impala. anyway I took my old one off to find that the spline part is on the engine. but when I look there is a spline on the optispark. how is this possible and what do I do? I also noticed taking off the opti that it had a vented cap. not sure if its just a cap or the whole system was converted but figure id throw that info in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Global Moderator

Your original 93-94 opti has a removable male spline-ed shaft that connects female spline-ed holes on original opti and cam gear. The MSD opti comes with a built in male spline-ed shaft that fits into the female splines of cam gear.

Your problem is; when you removed old opti, the male splined shaft remained installed in cam gear. You need to pull the shaft out of timing cover so male spline-ed shaft of MSD opti will go in.

Do your self a favor and look closely at the splines at end of MSD opti shaft. There is a small keyway that must be matched with a small keyway on female spline-ed hole in cam gear. For a pic of it, go to shbox.com
# 53 in component view section.

Do your selft another favor and change the small seals on timing cover where opti goes in & waterpump goes in. And drive a plastic vacuum fitting into the weep hole in water pump. attach tubing to fitting. Next time wp seal fails, opti won't get a bath.

I'd also get a new wp, unless your old one is nearly new.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-24-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Your original 93-94 opti has a removable male spline-ed shaft that connects female spline-ed holes on original opti and cam gear. The MSD opti comes with a built in male spline-ed shaft that fits into the female splines of cam gear.

Your problem is; when you removed old opti, the male splined shaft remained installed in cam gear. You need to pull the shaft out of timing cover so male spline-ed shaft of MSD opti will go in.

Do your self a favor and look closely at the splines at end of MSD opti shaft. There is a small keyway that must be matched with a small keyway on female spline-ed hole in cam gear. For a pic of it, go to shbox.com
# 53 in component view section.

Do your selft another favor and change the small seals on timing cover where opti goes in & waterpump goes in. And drive a plastic vacuum fitting into the weep hole in water pump. attach tubing to fitting. Next time wp seal fails, opti won't get a bath.

I'd also get a new wp, unless your old one is nearly new.

Thanks lol i was going crazy staring at it! But yea i noticed the flat notch on the msd and it has a small marking on it. Since the end of the spline stayed in the engine i opened up the old opti to see which way the rotor was going and opened up the mad to make sure it was going the same way. And thanks for all the tips, i did this to myself because last year i did a EWP instal and gave my opti a bath without realizing. This also gave me a nice chance to do my OTVC wires since the old one got chewed by my power steering pulley, alls well and she turned on first crank !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Well i spoke WAY too soon, so idek whats going on anymore guys. I put the optispark on no i didnt force it i read online just fine that sweet spot and itll click in. Bolted down and turned it on before putting the coolant and everything back. Turned on and idled good. Turned it back off finished putting the fans and coolant in, turned it on to bleed the system and turned it off to take it off the stands. Went to turn it on to take it for a spin and and it wouldnt turn on, just clicks no cranks. Found out that to be a bad positive terminal to the battery. But before finding that out it was just clicking no cranking, tried a battery in between the process and the one first crank all you heard was a loud thud and then clicking. I lost all hope and thought the engine seized. So now with the new terminal it cranks but wont start. Figured it to be flooded so i took out the injector fuses and cranked it. Eventually i got the car to kick on with the fuses back in but it shot a flame out of the intake/ missfired and died right out. What in the world could it be now? It started right up in the driveway once everything was in before i bled the coolant
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Global Moderator

Need to pull opti back out to see if spline-ed shaft might have jumped time because of a worn female spline on cam gear. Go to shoebox site and make sure keyway on spline-ed shaft & female splines match up.

Next, you could have a worn timing set that jumped time because chain was too loose. I forgot to add in last post that rotor screws should always have locktite put on them and tightened down. Rotor could have come loose.

Check your car for codes using an obd 1 scanner or by shorting aldl terminals with paperclip. Shoebox site will have a diagram of aldl with terminal ID. Your 93 is only year 4th gen that paperclip works on. Look for a dtc 16, 36, 41, 42. The 1st 2 are opti codes. Last 2 are icm codes. None of them light the check engine light.

For detecting low & high resolution opti problems, an oscilloscope is only 100% way to test. With it, you can see if low & high res signals are proper square wave, don't drop out, or change waveform. MSD was having a lot of trouble with their opti, a few years ago. That is why I don't recommend them anymore.

You can buy a pc based opti for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. All lt1 owners should have one. Scope is good for testing any dc electrical system. On our cars, use it to test the pesky 30 or 50 hertz fuel enable system.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-25-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement