Stud instead of Bolt for Harmonic Balancer - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Stud instead of Bolt for Harmonic Balancer

Hello all, new to the forum. I drive a 1995 Trans Am with LT1 and am in the middle of replacing the timing Cover Gasket since it has a major leak and I have to replace my opti anyways so figure it was the best time.

Anyways, I went to start pulling the Harmonic Balancer/crank hub off (after removing pulley of course) and loosened what I thought to be the center bolt, but instead a nut came sliding off. Has anybody seen or dealt with this or is it just something stupid the previous owner did?

I can't remove the crank hub because I have nothing sturdy to pull against with the puller.

Plzzzz help

-Miro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Try double-nutting it (if possible) and see if you can remove it. Never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Of course, you might uncover some nefarious reason the stud is in there (like stripped crank threads). Otherwise, you will have to find a way to push against what is in there to remove the hub.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:36 AM
Global Moderator

When you replace your opti, do yourself a favor and only buy a GM, Delco, or Delphi opti. The rest are junk. Even Msd opti is not what it used to be.

And install a new water pump. Do the weep hole mod. This is where you drive in a plastic fitting. Epoxy around it. Install a piece of tubing & route away from opti. That way when pump seal fails, opti won't get a bath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 AM

cocobolo95, going on a month and my MSD opti is still going strong 😉

97 Trans Am - being modified for DD/Track Car use
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
When you replace your opti, do yourself a favor and only buy a GM, Delco, or Delphi opti. The rest are junk. Even Msd opti is not what it used to be.

And install a new water pump. Do the weep hole mod. This is where you drive in a plastic fitting. Epoxy around it. Install a piece of tubing & route away from opti. That way when pump seal fails, opti won't get a bath.
Brake bleeders also work well. Tap the water pump and screw it in. Then run some fuel line so any weeping is directed away from the opti....
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Global Moderator

Glad to hear Msd opti is performing as intended. If this keeps up, I'll be able to put it back on the preferred list. Back is 2008, I put a Msd opti on my 95. It ran well for years.

The brake bleeded option is a good idea. I will put it on my recommendation list.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Glad to hear Msd opti is performing as intended. If this keeps up, I'll be able to put it back on the preferred list. Back is 2008, I put a Msd opti on my 95. It ran well for years.

The brake bleeded option is a good idea. I will put it on my recommendation list.
Thank you. I didn’t come up with the original idea but I found that the standard brake bleeder works fine and you don’t have to grind off the ball end of a zerk fitting to get it flowing freely.
Just make sure you use the proper tap for the bleeder. They come in M10, M8, and standard thread sizes. I went with an M8 for my pump...
But whatever size that is slightly larger than the stock hole can be tapped to work perfectly, and will Never come undone with a touch of blue thread lock.
Good luck and happy trails with that opti...
My mechanic froze the opti drive seal/sleeve over night to make it easier to install. Do not put in a new opti without replacing all the seals sleeves and maybe even the timing cover gasket while you’re in there.
There’s nothing worse than to go through all the R&R only to find a seal or gasket starting to leak a week or two later.
IMHO...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFlores1 View Post
Hello all, new to the forum. I drive a 1995 Trans Am with LT1 and am in the middle of replacing the timing Cover Gasket since it has a major leak and I have to replace my opti anyways so figure it was the best time.

Anyways, I went to start pulling the Harmonic Balancer/crank hub off (after removing pulley of course) and loosened what I thought to be the center bolt, but instead a nut came sliding off. Has anybody seen or dealt with this or is it just something stupid the previous owner did?

I can't remove the crank hub because I have nothing sturdy to pull against with the puller.

Plzzzz help

-Miro
I believe I have seen stripped stud removers at the auto parts stores.
I could be wrong but getting that stud out and replacing it with the proper bolt is going to be your easiest way to deal with it...
I’d want it out just for future access and potential repairs...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey all! Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up having to buy a welder to weld the nut onto the stud and it allowed me to remove. I will be replacing with bolt as I know thats whats required.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:25 AM
Global Moderator

Glad it worked out. You probably wanted to get a welder anyway. The bad stud was a good enough reason to buy it, and keep the wife or girlfriend from complaining about the money spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement