Question LT1 Rocker Arm question - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

LT1 Rocker Arm question

So this 97 Z28 I'm building was bought completely disassembled. The guy put everything in baggies and marked it all, but it all got mixed up. I managed to match the connecting rods to the caps by the machining marks. I honed the cylinders and am putting new rings on. I'm using the old cam, but got new lifters ( since they are all mixed up ).

I'm currently cleaning up the heads and putting new valve stem seals on. All the rocker arms and balls are just in a bag. I was told by a guy that does heads that the main thing on those is to make sure the ball and rockers stay together. Which valve and pushrod they are mated to isn't that important. Can I get away with just getting new balls and reusing the old rockers?

This is a budget build and I need to reuse as many original parts as possible. I'm trying to only replace what NEEDS to be because of the mixed up parts. Of course, all new gaskets, seals, and bearings in addition to the already listed parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Throw it together and let it eat.

1995 LT1 Wagon. ERE 383
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM

I'm with atlantadan, you can really put a ton of effort into getting everything 100% only to have it go in a few years or you can slap it together and it could run for 10 years. It's kind of a crap shoot. The tips the old dudes give out are learned from years of experience but every engine is different and all you can do is your best.

Spend 3 months putting it together and then right into storage or spend a month putting it together and drive it this year. Crap shoot.

97 Trans Am - being modified for DD/Track Car use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement