LS1LT1 Forum banner

starts,stalls,starts, stalls

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve Dzudz 
#1 · (Edited)
OK folks, looking for some advice.
I have a 97 Trams Am, with about 60,000 kms on it. In the last year I changed the ICM, Fuel pump, coil, crank sensor, ignition relay and fuel filter. Saturday night on a drive it felt like it stalled, but I gave it gas and it was still running. This morning I started it up and it stalled while at idle after running a few minutes. It cranked for a few seconds and fired up, ran for a few minutes died again. Started right up and ran it again for a few minutes and stayed running. I was going to take it to work but didn't want to chance it.
I know the battery is going, I have had to jump/charge the battery if it sits too long (maybe 5 days or so).
Could this just be the battery or the dreaded Opti? with only 60,000 kms and no water or oil leak (that i have noticed) I am really hoping the battery.
Just another note, when I hit the gas while it is idling, the oil pressure gauge doesn't move?
Any input is really appreciated.

#3 ·
You can have your battery tested at a parts store to see if it's bit the dust. If it's totally gone I can see how you might have an issue like this. Is it throwing any codes? Do you have any vaccume leaks?

To delete a post click the box on the post for more options.

#5 ·
Moved to lt1 engine section.

First off, what does your vol gauge read with engine running? Should be 13.0 volts to about 14.5 volts. If reading is lower than 12.8 with engine running, alternator is not charging battery enough.

2nd, once engine starts ans alt takes over, bad battery does not affect engine performance as engine runs on electricity put out by alt. The battery has 2 jobs. Start the car and provide electricity if alt fails.

Is your battery old and actually needs replacing? I ask because a short somewhere in electrical system can cause battery to drain down in a few days. Same with some component still being on when it shouldn't be on.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't pay much attention to my battery gauge but my oil gauge moves all the time. I have a dent in my oil pan which I believe messes with it a little bit but it should definitely move. Should definitely move up when you rev the engine.

That picture looks like my oil gauge when I am accelerating. When I'm sitting at idle it is below half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.