Best LT1 rebuild kit? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Best LT1 rebuild kit?

Hey everyone first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am in the process of putting a LT1 motor into my 86 Toyota pickup, I am no stranger to building motors and i am sure there are some rebuild companies to stay away from as far as engine parts go for LT1 motors so I'd like to know who I should get parts through. I'd like to have forged pistons made and just do it right while I have the motor out. I did use the search function and kept coming up with threads that turn into talk of cams and such haha thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Here's some good companies to buy your parts from. If going with a forged crank, a Callies dragonslayer is the way to go. It's forged and finished in the USA. Callies also has the copstar crank at a lower price, as it is forged overseas, but finished in USA.

For forged pistons, DSS racing is a good place to get a set. They're forged & finished in Chicago. And are priced right.

Cams, and full roller rockers, Comp Cams is the brand to go with.

Forged I beam rods both Eagle & Scat make decent one's

For head porting & polishing Lloyd Eliot le1, le2, or le3 heads are the way to go.

As these are my opinion there will probably be other recommendations by members. The German in me has me over building my bottom ends.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM

FWIW, the OEM cast steel cranks are good to 600 hp +/-. If you are boosting or nitrous, then go forged. If not, and you're not going to go wild with the engine - I wouldn't think twice about staying cast. The original powdered metal rods are not too shabby either, but I can more easily justify forged pieces for the rods and pistons than I could the crank.

Eagle and Scat cast stuff is trash. Their forged stuff is good. Not as good as Callies, but still really good for the $. Cams: Comp and Bullet. Comp will do anything you want on a billet core for $400. Second vote for DSS pistons. Also, Diamond, Mahle, JE, Speed Pro - in other words, all the normal top-shelf brands.

Heads: AFR makes some good heads but their QC has slipped. I had a set of AFR heads and every single bolt hole was too shallow by 1/4". THAT pissed me off. I have TrickFlows on there now and they're great. Lloyd Elliot is the LT1 porting master and he'll give you a killer package with heads and custom cam.

1995 LT1 Wagon. ERE 383
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Alright everyone I'm back, sorry for not responding in a few days I have been doing as much research as possible. So after doing some reading and shopping around it looks like I'll be staying with cast pistons and pretty much mostly stock as far as the motor build goes (I know I'm sorry I started this thread looking for forged pistons and all that) after doing some reading it looks like staying closer to stock will be my best bet (I'll snap axle shafts if I go to crazy and the price was out of my budget) So with that being said where should I get all my pistons, valves, oil pan (oil pan has a hole in it, dont ask why haha) Thanks again everyone!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:15 PM

RockAuto has good prices on replacement parts. Might look on Ebay for the pan.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Global Moderator

If you are going stock route, get Mahle brand pistons for the rebuild. They are the brand that GM used in the engine when it was new. They cost a little more but are very good pistons.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Alright thanks everyone, I got the pistons out and on the top of them its stamped 19/12 and the rings say CM 45 and 8019643, I cant find any of these matching numbers on any of the pistons/bearings online
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 AM
Global Moderator

Those numbers might be casting numbers, not part numbers. Just search for Mahle pistons for 93-97 lt1 engine. Same with other parts.

Try searching ebay. When I was buying parts for my 95 trans am, ebay was a good source of lt1 new engine parts.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 04-25-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement