Lt1 overheating in elky / heater valve - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Lt1 overheating in elky / heater valve

Sorry, I noticed over 200 threads about this topic and my answer is probably in there but hear I go. 1994 LT1 (5.7) transplanted into '84 elcamino.

Q. Does someone have a legible diagram on how the heater hoses are hooked up for a 94 caprice? This is where I may have the problem. I believe I need to stay with this 94 caprice routing system.(unless there is another routing way to go)

Reason: my 94 Caprice "B" carline Service manual doesn't show the routing clearly.
This is what I do know:
1)Temp. rises up to 260,operating temp is 215-220
2) temp check via electric gauge (OEM 84 elky) and Equus mechanical..reads the same.
3) new 10 yr old thermostat changed out for a new thermostat (with orifice) and system bled via screw on waterneck and with heater on.....inside cabin heat seemed to be of room temp. I may indeed not have completely bled the system...IDK though.
4) as your facing the waterpump, lower left heater hose outlet goes to OEM, 2 port elky heater valve , then goes into heater core, then out of the heater core to upper left heater hose outlet on pump...this is where I think the mistake is, I need a 3 port heater valve but the 3rd port goes to?? does it by-pass the heater core and go back into the upper hose outlet via a T in the line? Note: after 2 yrs of being installed the metal port(on the OEM elky heater valve) end had partially rusted while installed inline and a small amount of debris was still there, seemed it never circulated through the system, which leads me to think coolant wasn't flowing.
5)my radiator is the original replacement for the caprice (new), which has upper radiator outlet and lower rad. outlet (only 2 ports)
Elky is still a garage Queen, 100% restoration in process, has been ongoing for 2 1/2 yrs, finishing up the interior now (that's whats left), I have had it sitting idling for up to 15 minutes at a time with dual electric 3000CFM fans (both on), backed it out of the garage to the end of the cul-de-sac and back (about 200 ft once). Hope all of this is enough info to get started. thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Global Moderator

Best I can do is point you to f-body hose diagram at shbox.com

Caprice lt1 uses the same basic water pump as f-body. The f-body has 1 extra tube on wp that b-body cars don't have. Follow the diagram @ shoebox site with exception of extra hose that goes on extra tube coming out of wp.

Also b-body wp has different shaped tubes coming out of wp than f-body.

Do a Google search using lt1 engine as your query. There's a site on lt1 engines that shows the 3 water pumps used on lt1 engines and the tubes coming out from wp.Corvette uses 3rd type wp.

And if worse comes to worse, you could switch to a f-body wp to make sure all connections are correct.

Question for you. Does b-body lt1 use the steam pipe system on back of heads like f-body uses?

Last edited by cocobolo95; 07-18-2018 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Question for you. Does b-body lt1 use the steam pipe system on back of heads like f-body uses?
yes..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Best I can do is point you to f-body hose diagram at shbox.com

Caprice lt1 uses the same basic water pump as f-body. The f-body has 1 extra tube on wp that b-body cars don't have. Follow the diagram @ shoebox site with exception of extra hose that goes on extra tube coming out of wp.

Also b-body wp has different shaped tubes coming out of wp than f-body.

Do a Google search using lt1 engine as your query. There's a site on lt1 engines that shows the 3 water pumps used on lt1 engines and the tubes coming out from wp.Corvette uses 3rd type wp.

And if worse comes to worse, you could switch to a f-body wp to make sure all connections are correct.

yea, thats all i found when i did a google search was the F-body and Corvette (from shoebox) and i didnt notice them using the 3 port heater valve, only the restrictor and T on their heater hoses and yes i do have the steam pipe system. Is this the correct assumption though that the 2 heater ports upper and lower coming out of the WP do bypass around the heater core to cool the heads right? this is the reason to use the 3 port heater valve to by-pass the heater core? but then again it doesnt make sense if i'm just coming out of 1 port then a U turn and go right back into the upper one. Seems it needs to go thru the heater core. Ugh-boy...confused

Last edited by toyinhawaii; 07-19-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement