ls1 block build - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb ls1 block build

Helloo forum,
I'm new to here so if I posted in the wrong spot I apologize.

I recently bought an aluminum ls1 block out of an 01 trans am and plan to do a build on it (ofc), however, I'm a teen trying to learn as I go and am still new to the car game. I bough a project 68 lemans that I've pieced together over the year and am hoping to beef up under the hood. It currently has a Pontiac 350, that runs and drives. Although it runs and works great, the newer muscle I run around with have all the more power than my old school. So my question is,
If you were to rebuild a bare ls1 from the ground up, just a block, nothing else, no rotating assembly, what route would you take?
It will be a daily, so pump gas is my only REAL necessity.
I'm shooting for 500 whp, with forced induction. (I like the idea of superchargers over turbos, but I'm no expert)
I'm open to the idea of a 383 stroker, but I heard it weakens the block and reduces the amount of boost you can run?
I know building engines isn't always cheap, so I dont have a real budget. I also dont want to run the risk of parts breaking when my mom wants to drive it, so I'll dish the extra cash for extra quality (: (However, I am just 18 so please dont absolutely abolish my wallet <3)
Also, nitrous?
I'll be picking up a 4l60 trans when I get close to the end of the build, it's what I was recommended. If you guys recommend others I'm all ears.
A shop I go through often is putting in a machine shop, so I'm waiting till then to get the block checked, but hopefully ill have a good parts list by the time she gets looked at.

I'll be swapping a limited slip diff into the rear as well if anyone has any recommendations.

Sorry to be so misinformed on the topic, but we we're all beginners at one point
Thank you so much, I'll try my best to answer whatever questions you all have.

If someone has asked this already and a thread has been pretty much done on it, please just shoot me a link to it (: Thank you.

Last edited by ls1_help_68_gto; 09-17-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement