Urgent Won’t start - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Won’t start

Please help if you can. 96 firebird 6cyl. Won’t start. Just keeps cranking. Changed fuel filter, pressure check good, new new fuel pressure sensor. Car was running. Stalled out a few times. Had to sit before it would run, but only for 5 mins. Now won’t start at all. I sprayed starter fluid up in the intake and got some reaction. At a loss here. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Global Moderator

If your firbird is 93-95 hook up to an obd 1 scanner & read the codes. I'm not real familiar with the v6 cars, but I'm pretty sure that, like the lt1 v8 cars, codes for ignition control module (ICM) along with crank position sensor & cam position sensor, don't light the check engine or service engine soon light. Different years use one or the other.

Same goes about reading codes if you have a 96-02 v6 car. They use an obd 2 scanner to read codes.Read the codes and report back for further instruction. But in the meantime, go to the following link and download the correct service manual. We have 93, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99, & 2000. My Files
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

It is a 96. I did run a scanner. Has 0 codes come up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 AM
Global Moderator

You now need a scanner that does real time sensor data. In data mode I want you to read the crank sensor & cam sensor data. Just to see if both are working correctly. Without this data engine won't run.

Next question is; when you turn ignition on, does the security light come on for a few seconds, then cycle off? This is normal. If security light stays on either steady on or flashing, the vats security system has a problem that will keep engine from running. When car left factory, vats problem would disable the starter & the fuel injectors. Seeing car is 23 years old & has most likely had several owners in it's life, it's very common for the starter disable part of vats has been bypassed so starter works if security light is on.

If security light works as it should, confirm that fuel injectors are indeed opening. You do this test by installing a noid light on injector connector. When you crank engine, noid light will flash on & off rapidly if injectors are receiving ground from pcm.

If injectors are opening, again check fuel pressure using a fuel pressure tester. @ key on prime you should have around 43 psi. Anything less than 20 psi will probably keep engine from running. Pressure from 20 to 30 psi, will allow engine to run, but not very well.

Next use a spark tester and test several cylinders for good strong spark. Report your results.

And just by chance, on my older 90 with 3.1 v6, the coil has a 2 part connector made to only go on 1 way. I removed the 2 part connector and because the plastic was partially broken, it allowed me to fit connector on backwards. Car had no spark. I tested everything. Finally a member of the gearheadefi forum ask me if the coil connector was partially broken and had I installed it backwards. I reversed 2 part connector and engine fired right up.

The moral to that story is; Don't depend on assumtion to get you through a problem. Check out even the smallest details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement