1st Track Day with my 97 Trans Am - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

TLDR: Track day is fun, work on the car will never stop.

Holy balls is track day awesome and if you have the ability to register and get to one you should really do it!

Now I had a few issues but I'm going to chalk both of them up to being new to driving on a road course.

My first problem was on the first session. It was 20 minutes long and about 10 minutes in I was having some serious brake fade issues which really surprised me because I had put on drilled and slotted rotors, and new ceramic pads two days ago. I also replaced the brake fluid with dot 3 high temp Wilwood racing brake fluid at the same time.

I have to believe that I wasn't mean enough to the brakes when I did the break in afterwards or, more likely, I was driving too fast into the corners and over using the brakes. I forgot to bring my laser thermometer so I couldn't measure the brake temp after the session or I certinly would have. I did not have the same brake problems the last two sessions oddly enough.

Second issue I had after the first and second session was coolant boiling out of the system after shut down. Poor LT1 got quite warm today and it's my own fault. Up to 210 and maybe a little higher. Perhaps the radiator cap didn't open and allow coolant into the overflow container or it actually was overheating but there was a similar amount in the overflow everytime I checked it, which was often.

Maybe I didn't let it cool down enough on the final lap, maybe the coolant just had no place to go, I'm not sure but I will be looking into better cooling for sure as one point on the track the temp guage was reading 210 and I had to just chill out a bit to get it back down.

All in all it was a huge success. Nothing broke on my car requiring repair and I was easily top 5 fastest on the track behind Porsche, Corvette, and BMWs. I was driving at my limits and my new tires are pretty raggedy looking now but I think this is something that I want to keep doing.

Speaking of tires, the 315s in the back were awesome! No sliding the ass out from under me. Of course I'm only pushing 300 horses with the LT1 and minor mods but damn that car was glued to the ground at all times. Now the 275s in the front took quite a beating and they understeered a few times and did scare me twice but I was probably going too fast around the corners.

Thanks for reading, hope you guys are out having fun with your cars and not staring at them in the garage. Have a good one!

97 Trans Am - being modified for DD/Track Car use

Last edited by Familiar_Enemy; 06-21-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:03 PM

I went to the Track Night June 22 at Fontana Speedway in my 1995 Trans Am, Loads of fun, I was running drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads too, I did not have any brake fade but I could smell the pads heating up, I was running DOT 4 brake fluid, my car never over heated, then again I didn't run it to hard it is all stock and this was my first time, The only problem I did have was my tires rubbing the inside fender well in the back,when I was doing some hard cornering, I'm running C4 Corvette wagon wheels. Can't wait till the next Track Night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement