LS1LT1 Forum banner

spark plug wires

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  03slowZ06 
#1 ·
i have two questions one i wanted to do a tune up to my 96 trans am lt1 ive changed the plugs before but never the wires and is there a coil of cap on this my buddy told me the water pump gotta be removed to change the wires is this true and could i do it my self im pretty sure i can but not totally sure of whats all involved can any1 tell me in steps if possible and i had a rim stuck on my drivers side front because of a stripped lug i took it to a shop and the guy got it off but said he damaged to sensor on the back of the hub so now my abs inop light is on i got under the car and the sensor looks ok i inspected the plug unplugged it plugged it back in everything looks good i unplugged the battery to reset the system but the light comes on about a minute after i start my car every time so my question is am i gonna have to spend money on a new hub just because of a light and will it mess things up worse driving it with the abs inop light on thanks guys hope some1 can help

#2 ·
Changing the wires on that engine is a HARD TASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! I did it with the belt tensioner wheel removed. It took one screw to remove it, then it took about 2-3 hours to route and connect the plugs through the tiny hole on the passanger side. Its a hard job and if you dont have patience take it to a shop.

#3 ·
it's not too bad of a job, but yeah, about half an hour for the drivers side and probably 1.5-2 hrs for the passenger side if you've never done it before

drivers side, nothing has to be removed, it's pretty straight forward

passenger side, you need to be able to get underneath your car for some of it, you need to remove the serp belt and unbolt the power steering pump (shouldn't have to remove it though), then you just replace the wires one by one

you're working blind for a lot of the procedure and you have to be really careful that the plug wires clear the exhaust manifolds by a reasonable amount, as well as the power steering pulley and the belt

#4 ·
Well to answer your abs question, the guy most likey broke the eccentric ring on the hub, at least it sounds that way, You may need a new hub to get the abs working again, but know it will be fine until to get it fixed, Ive actualy had a melted wire from the headers for about 5 years. I won't to do an abs delete on mine tho.

#5 ·
this may or may not be up your alley, but if your going to change them, it's a pretty not really hard just really time consuming, if you plan on having the car for a long time i say spring for some over the valve cover wires and make it easier on yourself.... just my opinion though..

#6 ·
i never changed plugs....actually i never HELD/TOUCHED a plug until i did them on my lt1...what a platform to learn on right?....its not that bad....i took NO ACCESSORIES OFF....drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

#7 ·
...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it
:roflmao: This is one of my new favorite quotes. It is going in my sig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.