Replacing a water pump on LT1 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Replacing a water pump on LT1

Hello everyone!

I have a water pump issue - it is leaking from the weep hole, but not all the time, most when I start the engine and after the engine is switched off. But the car started to drop much of the water and also it drops to the belt and my power steering fails in any moment of driving and thats is dangerous.

So I decided to not lose any of my expensive ShellZone coolant and to eliminate any road accident.
I want to replace my water pump. And now I need your advice and your great experience too!

I have seen some videos on youtube about how to change water pump on LT1 engine, all of them shoewd this process like very simple, but I'm new to this and still have more questions.
I will try to change my water pump under the sky, cause I have no any garage or pit. But I have a jack and jack stands to lift up any two corners of the car.

First of all I composed some simple list of parts to change within this procedure:
  1. Water pump with two A-style gasckets (they usually go with pump). Need advice which one to buy - ACDelco OEM or some more cheaper one, for example ACDelco Professional.
  2. I think I must have a new thermostate (standard 180 degrees) and a gasket for its housing. Also need to know quality brand.
  3. O-ring seal for the water pump shaft. I don't know one or two I have to change, please help me to understand.
  4. Tool for O-ring seal installation - J39087. Correct me if I am not right please.
  5. Accessory belt, cause I even don't know how much my running on the car. Need advice which one is good to go with.
  6. Also I want to replace my recovery tank, cause it is leaking form its joint, it is not so important but if my hands will become dirty, why not to do it. What do you think?
  7. Should I do sometging with my optispark? Replace or some service to it? It seems that it is working fine banging sparks to all eight. But my shellzone washed it well I think.
  8. Also it is a good chance to replace spark wires, cause this is too tricky with supercharger installed. Which is good to go with?
  9. Engine coolant temperature sensor that is in the pump. Mine is fine, but who knows will it survive the screwing out and in again in new pump.
So this is a small list of parts, and I need your advices and suggestions about what I've forgotten to list - part numbers will be the best, cause I need to order parts and have no ability to view it by myself in the shop (I'm from Ukraine).
Also I need to know what tools I must have to do the job - any wrenches (types, inch sizes or cm sizes), any special tools.
Another one question is about the fluids that I should use between pump and gasket and between gasket and the engine, between thermostate housing and its gasket and pump, between ECT sensor and pump. I really dumb in this question. So help me in advice.

And also any advice founded on your past expirience in this procedure.

And do I need to modificate weep hole on a new water pump to screw in something to divert coolant from washing my opti and belt? If so - how to do it the best, need your opinion.

Sorry for that long post, but I tried not to forget anything. And sorry for my English.

Thank you very much!!!

1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 4AT Targa Supercharged

Last edited by Novo; 06-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Global Moderator

While changing the wp, remove the optispark distributor and change the wp seal on the timing cover. And while at it, replace all seals on timing cover.

Also remove cap & rotor, as well as optical compartment shield. Check the optical section for coolant, oil, & corrosion. If they are present your opti is on it's way out.

However, if you decide to replace it, the only acceptable replacement optis are GM, & Delphi. Anything else will give you a bad experience.

When installing new wp, drive in a plastic tee fitting into the weep hole. Silicon or epoxy around it. Attach tubing to tee. Route tubing so next time wp leaks coolant won't drop on opti or drive belt.

The GM or AC delco pump is better than many aftermarket pumps. And yes, go ahead and replace recovery tank.

One thing you need to know is, after you do all the work and fill the cooling system, you must bleed the system as air tends to get trapped in there.

Go to the following link to see where bleeded screws are and there's a writ up on bleeding cooling system. www.shbox.com
#15 in the how to section.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-06-2017 at 06:53 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
While changing the wp, remove the optispark distributor and change the wp seal on the timing cover.
Did you mean to change opti seal when it is removed?
Quote:
And while at it, replace all seals on timing cover.
What are those seals? I will try to find them on ebay/rockauto/summitracing/oreileys. Cause I must to order them before. Parts go in my country about 2-4 weeks.
Quote:
Also remove cap & rotor, as well as optical compartment shield. Check the optical section for coolant, oil, & corrosion. If they are present your opti is on it's way out.
I think that it is not so difficult to disassemble an opti with ability to assemble it again. I will try to find manual on youtube.
Quote:
However, if you decide to replace it, the only acceptable replacement optis are GM, & Delphi. Anything else will give you a bad experience.
Even AC Delco OEM will be bad on my car? Or AC Delco OEM is equal to GM? Cause I didn't find any GM on ebay.
Quote:
When installing new wp, drive in a plastic tee fitting into the weep hole. Silicon or epoxy around it. Attach tubing to tee. Route tubing so next time wp leaks coolant won't drop on opti or drive belt.
Ok with this, saw that many owners did this also to view if the pump really leaking even a drops of coolant.
Quote:
The GM or AC delco pump is better than many aftermarket pumps.
GM is now quit with pumps. But AC Delco has two pumps: OEM and Professional. But the first one is three times more expensive. Should I use only AC Delco OEM?
Quote:
And yes, go ahead and replace recovery tank.
Yes, Sir! Will do this also, mine is bad.
Quote:
One thing you need to know is, after you do all the work and fill the cooling system, you must bleed the system as air tends to get trapped in there.
Go to the following link to see where bleeded screws are and there's a writ up on bleeding cooling system. www.shbox.com
Always try to find info on that 4gen bible. I have already done this procedure when I was completely chaging a coolant last time. I think I will do this job fine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
While changing the wp, remove the optispark distributor and change the wp seal on the timing cover. And while at it, replace all seals on timing cover.
Do you mean to change the opti seal while replacing a water pump?
Quote:
O.k. with this!
Quote:
It is clear with this modofocation, will do it.
Quote:
The GM or AC delco pump is better than many aftermarket pumps. And yes, go ahead and replace recovery tank.
My new ACDelco Professional Series water pump is on its way from USA to my country. Recovery tank and its cap will be replaced too.
Quote:
Yes, sir! Always try to find info at this fbody bible!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Global Moderator

You can find the 95 factory service manual to download for free at the following link. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

You can find the 4th gen camaro parts book here. Index of /pics

The seals on the timing cover are (1) crankshaft front seal (2) optispark seal (3) water pump shaft seal. In addition wp shaft has o-rings at both ends.

Since your seals on the front cover have probably never been changed, during water pump replacement is a good oppertunity to do so. Helps to prevent opti from getting oil inside.

The tee with tubing you drive into water pump weep hole will help prevent coolant from getting in opti. Also when you remove water hoses & bleed cooling system, cover opti with plastic to keep it dry.

Don't forget to order a new timing cover gasket, as it is easier to replace seals with cover off. Or order the timing gasket set which should include new oil seals for cover.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-21-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement