Chasing Gremlins - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderators

Chasing Gremlins

No, not of the AMC variety, of the stutters-just-before-the-1-2-shift kind. The '57, that is. At the track, not on the street (it gets going too fast for this on the street ).

Sometimes. Not always. Sometimes before the 2-3 shift, but rarely both. Even more rare after the shift (only once that I remember). I was checking valves, checking fuel, varying engine temperature, varying fuel level, pulling the carb apart, changing spark plugs. It was either valve float or ignition, of that I was fairly sure (didn't really think it was fuel related). Seemed to happen most often when the car had sat for more than an hour, rarely if it had been 20 minutes or less since the last run. Caused ET's to vary by more than a tenth - not good in bracket racing.

I had the distributor cap off last week because I needed to pull the distributor, because I needed to pull the intake manifold, because I had two pushrods bend/break on me. At that time I noticed the center terminal carbon didn't extend out very far. But, I ran out of time to go get a new one before needing to get to the track, so I cleaned it up and put it back on. Did this same stuttering pattern all weekend during the final race of the summer season - managed to work around it, although it ran great in one semi-final and I broke out (won the other class I was running in). I picked up a new cap Tuesday, and when pulling the plug wires off, discovered two severely corroded terminals (heard MSD had a quality control problem a couple of years ago). Figured that must have been the problem. Tonight I decided to ohm the plug wires, just in case - and found three of them open (#'s 2, 7 & 8). Gads, no wonder it wasn't happy!

Plan on picking up a new set (these are MSD Super Conductors) tomorrow, get it back together and back to the track for another race series Friday night. Next week is the NHRA Division 5 Summit ET finals in Topeka, certainly want it running right for that.

'82 Berlinetta, 2000 LS1/4L60E. LS6 intake, shaved 317 heads, free-flowing air intake, long tube headers, 3600 stall, 3.73 posi. Best: 12.57 @ 109 at 5800' elevation; 11.82 @ 114 at HPT.
'57 Bel Air, my 1st car. In work: LQ4, L92 heads, LS3 intake, Erson cam; 4L80E, 4000 stall; 9".
'08 GXP grocery getter.
'95 Silverado 2500HD 6.5 TD. Just 335k miles so far.
'96 Vette Base Coupe. New to the herd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 AM

nice catch man. always seems like its the little things that play the most havoc huh? good luck with the race friday man

94 formy a4, solomons tune for stuff ive done ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auIR-B0tvY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughges View Post
2+2 does not= chair.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderators

Thanks. It would be nice to be able to dial with confidence.

But, maybe it's just kept me on my toes. In four summer classes that I've run, I finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. So, guess I can't complain too much.

And I'm in 2nd place in the series running this Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement