Question 93 trans am up shift into 2nd gear slipping, high rpms. - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

93 trans am up shift into 2nd gear slipping, high rpms.

Hi I have a 1993 Firebird Trans am. My transmission started slipping Going into 2nd. It can barely get to 2, but after it shifts into 2nd gear, every other gear shifts fine and the rpms are stable. Reverse is fine and neutral, 1st manual, 2nd manual, and 3rd manual. When trying to get into second gear, I get 3-4 thousand rpms and then it may or my not shift into 2nd gear. Sometimes if it gets up to those highly of rpms it won’t let me accelerate until I get into first again and the rpms drop to 1000. Before this happened it shifted to second at 2300 rpms. Started about 3 weeks ago and happened just all of a sudden. Changed my trans fluid, the gasket on the trans pan, put correct amount of fluid in/ type, changed all of the fluids except power steering about 3 months ago before this all happened. I adjusted the tv cable to where it wants to be, thinking it might not be correct and causing this problem, no result. 73k miles on the trans, 4 speed, not driven hard ever, and haven’t driven it in 3 weeks since then, thinking it may be the governer sticking or going bad- if so could use instructions on how to remove it. Tried putting Lucas trans fix in, no result. Any thoughts? Has a 4l60 transmission. Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, downshifts fine on all gears! Even 2nd gear.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:31 AM
Global Moderator

My best guess would be the 2-4 band. Even though you don't feel 4th slipping, because of the high torque of the 2nd gear shift, compared to the 3-4 shift.

Since 93 uses the non-computer controlled 4l60/700r4, electronics can't be the problem. You could have a problem caused by TV cable adjustment. You'd feel 2nd gear shift slip before 3rd or 4th start slipping at a later point in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
My best
guess would be the 2-4 band. Even though you don't feel 4th slipping, because of the high torque of the 2nd gear shift, compared to the 3-4 shift.

Since 93 uses the non-computer controlled 4l60/700r4, electronics can't be the problem. You could have a problem caused by TV cable adjustment. You'd feel 2nd gear shift slip before 3rd or 4th start slipping at a later point in time.

Ok so where can I find the 2-4 band on the car? I haven’t heard of it before. Do I have to take the transmission apart or do I drop the transmission pan? And do you think it could be the transmission governor? The service manual said it could possibly be that- Broken gear/chipped or the valve in the middle of the govenor is getting stuck/weights on the end aren’t opening all the way. And if you think I should check that too then what’s the best way to do that?

Last edited by dominicg; 10-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 AM
Global Moderator

Unfortunately, the 2-4 band is an internal transmission part that requires trans disassembly to replace.

I'd take car to a trusted transmission shop to get a diagnosis by an expert. Note I said trusted trans shop. There are many dishonest people in the trans repair business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement