LS1LT1 Forum banner

97 V6 to 97 V8...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  swat 
#1 ·
Now before you guys flame me and post threads here just hear me out haha

I picked a project car and was told it was a V8 car and I thought it was since it has the LT1 with 6 speed and disc brake rear end but I ran the VIN the other day and turns out its a V6 car. ( probably should of did that before buying it, lesson learned) Now this is my first camaro, ive had plenty of fords but this is my first GM. It appears previous owner swapped everything over mechanical wise and bolted up just fine but the electronics still need help. Which is what I'm struggling with.

Ive read a couple other V6 to V8 threads but im still unclear on some things. What I need to be certain about is what I need to change. The forward front lamp relay harness is pretty bad and I plan to replace it (Ill post a picture) but with a V6 one or a V8 one?

So do I need to change the speedo cluster? BCM? The indash harness? The ecm is intact and all I have ti do is feed those 3 wires through the fire wall and connect them?

Both the cars were 1997 cars, so it shouldnt be much to change right? Also it doesnt help that the 1997 had so many different changes compared to earlier years, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Or should I write this off and keep the pull the stuff thats worth keeping and move on?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum Project is worth doing. That is, if your good at reading wiring diagrams and such. We don't have the 97 , but we do have access to the 96 service manual to download. Get at the following link. My Files

Also, you can download most of the 97 wiring diagrams at www.bbind.com

Use the wiring diagrams, pcm pin outs, instrument cluster pin outs, etc, to compare the v6 components & wiring to v8 components & wiring. I believe the forward lamp harness is the same for both v6 & v8 models. But don't take my word for it. Consult the lighting wiring diagrams. They will tell you if they are the same for both engines.

Since the bcm controls body stuff, and not eng/trans stuff, I'm betting they are the same for v6 & v8. But again, don't take my word for it. Consult the wiring diagrams. You can do a google search for the 4th gen camaro parts book. Download it and check the part numbers for the bcm of v6 & v8.

By the way, if you do change the bcm to the one out of a v8 car, you will run into problems with the vats security system. The system works by reading the key resistance. If resistance is within limits, the security sys allows starter to turn engine over & fuel injectors to open.

If you use a v8 bcm with the key that works with the v6 bcm, you have only a 1 in 15 chance of key matching resistance value programmed into bcm. To learn about vats security sys, go to this site. He will have instructions on how to bypass the key lock resistance. www.shbox.com

The instrument cluster, I know that tach red line is different between v6 & v8. And v6 tach might not work correctly with v8 engine. Again, wiring diagrams of instrument cluster should tell you the story.

The 96 service manual should cover about 99% of your 97. The changes between 96 & 97 were minimal.

#6 ·
Hi welcome to the club .... ive got to ask did you get any of the statements that the car was a v8? emails texts or craigslist add im asking as you should have a small claim in court case if so... and really winnable if texts and add are there.. how do i know cause last yr i won a odometer and misleading case that involved a 66 olds i was selling and a "low mile 87f150 " that was traded 4 olds turns up the 150 was converted to a automatic and instead of 77000 miles had over 170000 i won 3500 cash i was selling the olds 4 $2,500 and got to keep the truck too and one of the deputy's from odometer fraud divisions was at the hearing watched the whole thing and then hit him with odo fraud charges too ... i didnt help him and his possi to show up in shorts and wife beaters and ball caps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.