Push button start - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Push button start

Wanted to see if there is a write up somewhere still on how to wire up push button start for a 95 z28 Camaro, I was reading online that a s2000 Honda push button can be wired up somehow but confused where I still to splice into and if I need to run power directly from starter to the switch...have a chronic issue where my ignition switches keep failing, on the 3rd one where basically I turn key to run hear a click hold it in run and the starter cranks after a minute or so...already replaced ignition cylinder bypassed vats replaced relays so stumped why it keeps coming back after 3-4 months...but a push button at least will get me up and running for now as a cheap option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 08:14 AM
Global Moderator

Questions; have you replaced the actual electrical part of the ign sw? It is under the dash bolted to steering column. Have you gone through the starter wiring diagram starting on page 8A-30-0 in 95 service manual? Get manual @ My Files

The chain of events that cause starter to turn engine over start with turning key to start position. Rod links key to electrical part of ign sw attached to steering column. Yellow wire from elec ign sw goes to a splice S223, where power is split. 1st lead from S223 goes to points of theft deterrent relay (TDR) on yellow wire.

2nd wire from S223 goes to transmission position switch, or clutch start sw, depending on which trans you have. If switch is good, power goes to coil of theft deterrent relay (TDR). Next step involves vats security system.

If key sends proper resistance to the theft deterrent module (TDM), then TDM will supply ground to TDR coil. Electra magnetic field will form closing TDR points which transfer power. Power goes to starter on purple wire.

Now that you know how system works, you can either troubleshoot the problem, or wire in push button starter switch.

The push button starter sw is actually simple. You can get a push button momentary sw at most any auto parts or hardware store. Get 1 that is rated 20 amps or more.

You have 1 wire connected to positive terminal of battery. It goes to 1 side of the switch you just bought. The other side of the switch will have a wire that connects to the starter solenoid where the purple wire connects. You don't have to disconnect anything.

This way, when ign sw is behaving, you can use it to start car. If ign sw doesn't do the job, you can use the start sw you just put in. Nothing is hurt with both switches in the circuit.

Last edited by cocobolo95; Today at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement