Discuss No keys for 94 Z28 project - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Angry No keys for 94 Z28 project

Hey guys just want to give a quick backstory on my vehicle.

So I purchased my camaro as a daily driver a few years ago. I bought it running from the second owner of the car and was informed that the engine had a misfire due to the opti spark I changed that and it fixed the issue, I changed most of the accessories and it ran without a problem. Later on while driving it my cousin and I discovered that the car had a head gasket leak back then money was super tight so he convinced me to use a head gasket sealer and that seemed to work (just as a temporary fix).

I had to take car to work one day and as i got to the red light i noticed a tapping noise that was coming from the engine. I parked it didnt drive it and had it towed home Long story short we checked to see if it was a spun bearing but didnt see any shavings in the oil.. due to the urgency of me needing a car i had to put it on the shelf.

Its 2019 and I am in a better financial situation and i want to see my blue z28 camaro back on the road so this weekend I will be completely breaking the engine down to find the root cause of the problem hopefully the block and the heads are okay and i can start a rebuild! But i have one major dilemma I LOST THE KEYS!!!! it was my only set no spare

my cousin has a hptuner and were just trying to figure out a way to disable the vats system without the key so i can change the lock cylinder and get a new set of keys so i can start the car

if anyone can help i would certainly appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Global Moderator

Go to shbox.com
Read his write up on vats, You will find out there are 15 different value resistor pellots that GM used. You theft deterrent module is programed to respond to just 1 of the 15 possible resistances.

After getting a lock smith to make you a key that fits the lock cylinder, you can unplug the small connector that goes to lock cylinder. They make a bypass unit that contains all 15 different resistances. Sold on Ebay. Try 1 resistance at a time until you hit the correct resistance value. Use that resistance value and your car will start & run.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

man i appreciate your reply so much. Im going look into that now. Do you have any advice on doing a rebuild on a LT1 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Global Moderator

Get the 94 service manual at the following link. Follow their instructions. Have a good machine shop do the machine work. I say this because machine shops have become mostly extinct. And some of the shops do pretty bad work. My Files
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

hey do i been looking into that module and i saw online that they sell replacement keys with no transponder would that still work with the bypass module? my last key had a chip in it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Global Moderator

Yes, if you use the resistance transponder, or just plug the correct value resistor into the connector under the steering column, a key with the resistance pellet is not needed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

hey man i hate to be a bother but im trying to be as through as possible before i purchase this module so correct me if im wrong.

1) I have no original key to start the car
2) If i purchase the vats bypass module it is possible to start the car
3) Will i need to change out the cylinder and get the key cut to fit it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

i was just going to replace the ignition cylinder with a new set of uncut keys along with the vats bypass just wondering if that will work
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Global Moderator

Yes, as long as you select the correct resistance to match your tdr , you'll be golden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement