front turn signals and Hazards - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy front turn signals and Hazards

if I mess this up I apologize this is my first time posting in a Forum but here it goes!!!

I have a 1998 Pontiac Firebird WS6 that ended up being salvaged and in multiple wrecks before I purchased it. I've replaced most of the pigtails the light Motors Etc and have got everything operational except for the turn signals left and right and the hazards left and right. I've upgraded to electronic flasher relays to accommodate the LEDs that I have put in so once I turn everything on all the lights are on like they're supposed to be but when you activate the turn signal it gives a very faint flash only more like a pulse...if I flip the bulb into the opposite direction it will actually start flashing the backlights and dash lights all flash normal but will not light up outside of it my apologies if I'm jumping around I've been working on this electrical stuff for days now this is the closest I've got to everything working like it's supposed to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not well versed on led car lights. But, it sounds to me like you wired the sockets in backwards. If switching the led to the opposite contacts, makes the bulb work correctly, that's my basis for thinking polarity is reversed on socket.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy

thank you!

well, I'm still at a loss. after reading through pages of threads about similar problems I have installed 2 (EF32RLNP) Electronic LED Compatible Turn Signal Flasher Relays that are POLARITY INDEPENDENT in case something was wired backwards and still no luck everything works better but still no blinking front turn or haz lights all other lights work and blink on point like there's no problem only thing to replace maybe the switch itself?!? and if not I guess I will reorder all old bulbs and see it prob goes away.... still why won't it work....

Last edited by weezyweav; 02-14-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: forgot to respond at top of post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Global Moderator

About the only thing I can suggest is to get you multimeter out, set to dc volts. Test each socket with bulb removed for power to turn signal contact. Red lead to contact, black lead to ground. Test with ignition on and turn sig on. Should have 12 volts that goes on & off.

If you don't get the flashing 12 volts, it's time to hit the wiring diagrams in 98 service manual Get at My Files

Exterior lighting starts on page 8-30 The person who scanned the manual put section #8 right after section #1 which is HVAC section.

I quickly looked at the wiring diagrams. While rear turn sigs are a direct link from turn sig flasher to bulbs, the front one's go through the daylight running light module. Might be something to check out.

Have you tried putting factory incandescent bulbs back in to see if that fixes problem? The service manual will have troubleshooting starting on 8-67 Turn sig wiring diagrams start on page 8-30

Last edited by cocobolo95; 02-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did that a little with a test light that has a screen that shows the volts as well and they readings were crazy to me anyway they would go from 12v and drop around with every "flash" or tick if you will till 9ish v not that I really know much on what I was looking at or how true the readings were. as I'm using what I can with little funds I have but anyway. the last idea is going to be putting in all OME bulbs because I will have to order them and wait for arrival as to not spend $100 or more at the local store
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Global Moderator

Turn signal flasher takes 12 volts and cycles it on & off to give blinking of turn signals. Going from 12 volts to 9 volts may or may not let bulb blink.

You don't have to replace all the bulbs to test to see if they fix the problem. Get 1 bulb for front & 1 bulb for rear. Put them in on either left or right side. Test to see if blinker now works.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 02-25-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezyweav View Post
I did that a little with a test light that has a screen that shows the volts as well and they readings were crazy to me anyway they would go from 12v and drop around with every "flash" or tick if you will till 9ish v not that I really know much on what I was looking at or how true the readings were...
Depending on how fast the flasher circuit is tripping, your voltmeter may not be ‘fast’ enough to catch true readings happening that quickly. Some expensive ones can, some inexpensive ones can’t.
I doubt you’re actually experiencing only a 3v potential difference (13v-9v) between on and off...
But I suppose it’s possible...
Do you have the turning vision lights in the front like my Impala, ones that come on solid white not amber, when the turn signal switch is activated in their direction (R or L) ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezyweav View Post
well, I'm still at a loss. after reading through pages of threads about similar problems I have installed 2 (EF32RLNP) Electronic LED Compatible Turn Signal Flasher Relays that are POLARITY INDEPENDENT in case something was wired backwards and still no luck..
“Polarity Independent” means it doesn’t care whether the voltages applied to terminal 57 or the 58 (the trigger coil terminals) are positive or the negative, they just trigger the relay, so they can be swapped in either configuration.
It will not overcome in any way the wiring that is reversed, swapped, or confused between the relay and the expected operational light...
I hope that helps...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I have installed 2 (EF32RLNP) Electronic LED Compatible Turn Signal Flasher Relays that are POLARITY INDEPENDENT in case something was wired backwards and still away...
LED ‘Compatible’ relays have an extra resister in them so any slight voltage backsurges don’t damage the actual light diode...
They should have no detectable effect on how the relay operates.
Once again, I’m just giving you electronic tech here, but the wiring between the headlight control module (If you have one) and your questionable socket is probably in need of further examination.
I hope that helped...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 PM

LED’s are a pain in the rear end...
(front end for you 😉...)
I put some in my taillights a few months back, and took them right out.
They weren’t as bright as the ones I took out, and they had a orangish tint to them that made my taillights look a weird orange/red color.
I use Sylvania SilverStar bulbs, they are the brightest, whitest white available.
$11 a pair, but still cheaper than LED’s...
I do have a pair of Sylvania 1157 LED bulbs on hand if anyone wants them LOL...

Last edited by SoCalChlln; 02-20-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement