Does anyone have a FSM for 2002 F-Body? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a FSM for 2002 F-Body?

If so, I was wondering if you could look up and share a small paragraph in volume #1. I have the FSM but only volume #2 which covers engine. Unfortunately, a large number of steps always includes the following:

"Notice: Refer to Special Fastener Notice on page 0-0 in Cautions and Notices."

Apparently, that section is in Volume #1 which I don't have. The downloadable 2000 f-body FSB is different and doesn't include that section. I really would like to know specifically what that section "pg 0-0" says. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Global Moderator

Best bet of finding 2002 fsm would be on Ebay. You can also get new factory service manual complete set from the company that printed the manual. It will cost much more than a used set.

Manuals are sometimes available on craigslist. That's where I found my 95 set. But they only appear from time to time. Searvhing everyday is required.

There are several used manual sources, Faxon is one of these sources. Again, you'll have to buy the whole set. Not too many people have the single volume you want, for sale.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The service manual I purchased was from eBay and covered engine only (volume 2) and was the only manual I found that was affordable. I figured engine work is exactly what I needed it for. Unfortunately, I did not expect it to reference information on volume 1 (of the 3 volume set). I'm not sure I want to pay $350 for another set that includes volume 1, and of course I will then have a redundant book if I did purchase another set. I was hoping someone else in the f-body community might already have a set of those books, and could share just that 1 bit of information, which I'm sure is not more than a sentence or two. Well, crossing my fingers anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Global Moderator

The 2000 manual has fastener cautions on page 7. In 2 different sections on the page.

The only other caution I can think of is to tell you to only use torque to yeald head bolts on the engine. They need to be replaced every time they are removed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
The 2000 manual has fastener cautions on page 7. In 2 different sections on the page.
The only other caution I can think of is to tell you to only use torque to yeald head bolts on the engine. They need to be replaced every time they are removed.
The 2000 manual has some differences to the 2002 manual. That's why I would like to see what that special notice is. It might be in reference to TTY bolts that are permanently stretched, or maybe not, but I would sure like to know for certain. It's very confusing. Here's why:

In the 2002 manual for some service instructions, the manual clearly states (remove bolts, discard bolts). In particular, I observe this in the instructions for the flexplate, and for the head bolts. Therefore, one can clearly surmise that these bolts are permanently stretched and must be replaced. However, on other bolts that I have understood to also be TTY (rocker arm bolts, crankshaft dampener bolt), etc, the instructions for disassembly do not explicitly include a notice to discard bolts. Yet on reassembly instructions, there is a reference to the special fastener notice caution (same as on the flexplate, head bolts, etc.). So what exactly is that "caution"? Could it be to examine bolts? Or is it a blanket caution to replace bolts, and if so, why the inconsistency of explicit discard bolts step for flexplate and head disassembly but not for the crank and rocker arms? This is important to know because the crankshaft bolt is now obsolete and discontinued, and NO aftermarket sources are available for this bolt. I have checked for a very long time, can't find anywhere, and the dealer confirmed to me that this bolt is discontinued.

Without a choice, I plan to reinstall my old one but nevertheless, it's something that I'm really itching to know.... exactly what this this special fastener caution mentioned in the 2002 f-body manual?

Attached are samples of what I'm talking about. On one page, you can see where it tells you to discard the flexplate bolts. Also, for the heads, you can see on disassembly, it says to discard the bolts. On the reassembly step, it tells you to install NEW bolts. That's clear enough. Note that on the reassembly step, it says to refer to the special fastener notice on page 0-0. The confusing part is that the crankshaft and rocker arm steps do not say the same (discard bolts, install new bolts) but still mentions referring to the same special fastener notice. I'm understanding (from forums) that those also are TTY bolts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Godzilla1; 11-08-2018 at 03:30 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:36 AM
Global Moderator

The manual specifically tells what fasteners need replacement when they are taken off. For the other TTY fasteners, the usual inspection of the fastener will be sufficient to see if it would need replacement.

Of course follow the bolt torque instructions.

Your sweating procedures that are not rocket science. The course of action that I have just outlined will get you through the work just fine.

All the cautions are in the book because GM wants to remove liability because of idiots that shouldn't try doing the work, will try and get hurt or break the car.

So the bottom line here is; If your a competent diy mechanic, that knows basic procedures for working on a car from the 90's to early 2000's, you'll get through the job successfully, without killing yourself, the car, or giving yourself an ulcer in the process.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 11-08-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Global Moderator

To give you an example of how manual goes overboard, in the last pic you uploaded, the manual says you need special tool J-36660-A to do the tty process.

If you work at a GM dealer, they will have that tool. But independent shops & DIY mechanics will not want to spend the super high price of a tool they will use a couple of times a year.

So they will make their own tool. I use a set of degree wheels I made to do the job. They work just fine getting the correct degree of torque wrench movement.

As another example, for working on the 700r4/4l60e family of automatic transmissions, GM has about $1500 worth of special service tools for the job. I made my own from mostly scrap that I had lying around. No way that I'll pay $$$$ for tools used maybe once every 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement