2001 Firebird 3.8 TRE-368 fuel pump - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > V6 Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

rxv8 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 2001 Firebird 3.8 TRE-368 fuel pump

I have a 2001 Pontiac fire bird here with a 3.8. It came here with a bad fuel pump. As with several newer GM products the fuel pump is most commonly sold with the entire sending unit assembly for between 300 and 400 dollars(1yr DELPHI Part # FG0102 and 1yr AIRTEX Part # E3369M). I hopped on e-bay and found a TRE-368 fuel pump repair kit with new 1 year warranty pump, hoses, strainer, fittings ect. for 100 shipped. It is advertised to work with the stock pressure regulator. This is a good deal compared to buying the entire assembly just for the pump. I am going for it as soon as I verify everything in the sending unit assembly is good. I also found a random 30 dollar pump but I would prefer the TRE myself. I just wanted to let some people know there are other options out there besides forking out 400 bucks for a sending unit if you are only needing the pump for your stock application. Anyone let me know if they have bought a TRE drop in for their stock application and how it it worked out. I have had great results with all of my past TRE components so I have confidence in this pump.

Last edited by rxv8; 05-24-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator

My Facebook
GTP231 Tradesman Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
So with the V6 models you have to replace the whole fuel pump assembly?

Are you planning on dropping the tank or doing the trap door method? I'm sure the trap door method will work on the V6 models too.
No its the same set up as many late 90s or so and up GM sending unit set up. ITs easy to swap out just the pump and the LS1 Racetronix kit works perfectly
13.464 @ 103.51 mph spinning a lil Totaled 9/25/2010
LSx> L67> Cross Fire> LTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
God said, let there be light, and the optispark was born...and he saw that it was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Lt1's suck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #3

Default No trap door entry here

Quote:

Are you planning on dropping the tank or doing the trap door method? I'm sure the trap door method will work on the V6 models too.
I am dropping the tank. It is not my car so I will be pulling the exhaust and dropping the tank. If it was my car I would think about it. It would be straight forward but I don't like the idea even though it would save a lot of time. Time isn't an issue on this job. There is always a minor risk of damaging the tank and other components directly underneath. Plus I really don't mind pulling the tank at all. It's not a big job and it really doesn't take that long. I am fairly by the book when it comes to other peoples vehicles. On GM trucks I always pull the tank to replace the pump when necessary. I have had many arguments with other techs about pulling the tank versus removing the bed. There are ups and downs of both methods. I just prefer pulling the tank. Sometimes the straps bolts are rusty but a lot of times the bed mount bolts break off too. I have had two pump R and R races and I won both times. Both times I did my pump change from the ground and my buddy used a lift at his work.To me pulling two strap bolts and a hose clamp is better than pulling the bed off the truck. It's kinda the same way with this 3.8 car. I just prefer to pull the tank.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
It is just more commonly sold as an entire sending unit at local parts stores. Damn parts stores here couldn't even find a listing for just the pump. I never rely on them anyway. Half the time they will give you a thermostat when you asked for spark plug.lol. I usually have my part numbers in hand before I go in.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #5

rrondeau user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:

how do you do the trap door method on the 3.8L 2001 firebird
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

Mystery Bird Apprentice Level Tech II

I had a TRE pump once, it lasted 20 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement