LS1LT1 Forum banner

2002 Firebird A/C compressor removal

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lou Weegieb 
#1 ·
I am having a rotten time removing this ac compressor and need some help.

I have 3 Front bolts out, and broke the pulley ac front mounting bracket trying to replace the idler pulley.

Does anyone have a source for the part??

Compressor is still in there. How many rear bolts are there and is there a trick to removing them? Very tight PITA at the moment.

Thank you

#3 ·
Thank you. That helped a lot.

To get to the rear bracket bolt, 15mm, on my car.. . I had to remove the hoses from the back of the compressor. The retaining bolt is 13mm.

I had to jack the car up and use 3 socket extensions to get it from behind the suspension, exhaust, etc.

The 15mm came right out w/o much effort from the engine compartment.

The front compressor bracket also holds an idler pulley. When removing the pulley I cracked the bracket. Looks like it was on its way out as it had another crack near one of the mounting bolts. This thing hasn't been touched since it was installed at the factory.

Car has 98K miles on it and i probably would have had a belt failure in my future had I not done this work.

Locating a replacement compressor bracket is going to be something of a challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.