Rearend Rebuild - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Rear End, Axles & Gearing

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

transamfreak22 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Rearend Rebuild

Motives 4.10's. Complete with the rebuild kit(bearings, seals, etc.) T/A cover with stud kit. Superior Axles(with bearings seals and studs). Slotted and cross drilled rotors. New calipers(not pictured)

Phew...Wish me luck guys. Any tips anyone would like to add in here before i get to it?

'95 Black Trans Am LT1 M6
-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?

Last edited by transamfreak22; 09-01-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #2

Spartan7 Apprentice Level Tech I

You're doing this yourself? If you've never done it before, try to find someone that has, and have them watch you. A gear install is more complicated than it looks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Got it all together yesterday. Everythings seems ok. Backlash set correctly. Marking compound pattern looked good. Slight whine on slight accel as of right now

-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #4

yes definetly have some whine coming from the rear end, from my readings this is normal right??

mines really not a whine though, just noise.

-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5

My Facebook My Facebook
mrbadlt1 Apprentice Level Tech II

more than likely the noise from new gears, if your backlash looks good i wouldnt worry about it

6LE Longtubes / LPM Heads / LE Cam / Vigilante 3200 / Shinholster 4L60 / GM 3.73's

Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

Motive calls for .008-.012 richmond calls for .006

with using orginal carrier shims, and measuring my old pinion shim and using a new but same size, i had .009 with the caps bolted on. And like i said the gear compound pattern looked good. It was in the center of ring gear tooth, about half tooth long.

i notice though, firstly it doesnt always whine. and sometimes it isnt always a whine, like i said, its just noise sometimes, and sometimes its a whine. Secondly, when letting off the accelerator i get a slight, almost kind of clunk sound, when you go from drive to coast, its real brief and faint. Not sure what it is. Im doing the 500 mile break in, and currently i have synthetic gear oil, with LSD additive.

-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #7

My Facebook My Facebook
mrbadlt1 Apprentice Level Tech II

richmond gears i heard, so it may not be true, use nickle in there casting process which causes the richmond whine, so that could be the reason richmonds require a different backlash

6LE Longtubes / LPM Heads / LE Cam / Vigilante 3200 / Shinholster 4L60 / GM 3.73's

Old 09-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #8

i have motive which calls for .008-.012. my backlash is .009

-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #9

Young Maro user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I've had cars with 410's before, and when set up properly they don't make any noise. You shouldn't be hearing anything, especially that clunking sound. I would drive it as little as possible and try to adjust the backlash until the noise stops.

Or just get someone with experience and cough up a few bucks to get it done the right way. Save you the headache!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #10

Zanez28 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I would set the backlash up a little bit higher and see if the whine gets worse or better. Just me.

94' z28 A4 with MSD Ignition, MSD Super Conductor 8.5MM Wires, NGK Plugs, Lingenfelter CAI, TF Elbow, Flowmaster ex, Meziere EWP.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook
xDetroitMetalx Apprentice Level Tech III

I just re-did my rear end also. I can tell you that the break in process is the most important thing. I actually burnt my ring and pinion up because what Yukon calls for as a "break-in process" was actually a "how to break your gears" process. I had a friend help me set up my pattern over the phone and pictures via email and what failed me was the break in. I now have a used set of 3.73s in there with a very faint noise which most people can't hear. The noise isn't desired and I know I'm off by probably 1/2 thou on the pinion and maybe 1 thou on the backlash (mines at 8 with OEM GM 3.73s) but sadly I'm going to live with it and buy a whole new ring and pinion set next year and start from scratch.

The only thing that worries me is that you seem to say that you used the original shims for the carrier and same width shim for the new pinion? How loud is this noise that you're hearing? Do you have pictures of the pattern itself?

The clunk you are hearing sounds to be the backlash, I would try to tighten it up maybe - 1 thou. However, it's not too much too worry about. My OEM 2.73s clunked horribly as the BL set itself over 15 being driven for so long.

When I break in gears again I will drive the car 2 miles let it sit until fully cooled. Than repeat with 4 miles. Than again at 6 miles. Etc, etc, all while going different speeds, RPMs and different acceleration rates. This way the gear won't wear itself in an undesirable way.

Also, don't bother running with synthetic. Just save yourself money and buy the cheapest stuff in the store. The posi works off of friction and will lock much quicker with conventional gear oil rather than synthetic. Also I've heard a rumor that gears won't break in properly with synthetic, I don't know why though.

Last edited by xDetroitMetalx; 09-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Maro View Post
I've had cars with 410's before, and when set up properly they don't make any noise. You shouldn't be hearing anything, especially that clunking sound. I would drive it as little as possible and try to adjust the backlash until the noise stops.

Or just get someone with experience and cough up a few bucks to get it done the right way. Save you the headache!
Who says he can't do it the right way? You gotta learn and start somewhere. I don't trust anyone with my car except me. It's going to be frustrating, yes, but I know that all those hours of my frustration have well been worth the fun, satisfaction, knowledge, and extra money I have.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

Young Maro user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDetroitMetalx View Post
Who says he can't do it the right way? You gotta learn and start somewhere. I don't trust anyone with my car except me. It's going to be frustrating, yes, but I know that all those hours of my frustration have well been worth the fun, satisfaction, knowledge, and extra money I have.
Eh I'm not saying he can't do it right, but for all the time and money ( tools, fluids, ect) you waste doing it 2 or 3 times to get it right, you could pay a guy 200$ to do and have your car back in a day.

Idk I will do just about anything to my car.. but messing with the rear is something I'll leave to a pro. If you have the tools / experience to do it right, by all means have at it. But for a first timer or even someone who has only done it once or twice, it might just be worth it to have it done at a shop.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #14

thanks for the support detroitmetal. So u guys think i need to go higher or lower on the Backlash?

-UMI Shorty shifter
-SLP Loudmouth Catback
-4.10's
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
-K&N CAI
-98+ Front End Swap

Am I fast yet?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook

Quote:
Eh I'm not saying he can't do it right, but for all the time and money ( tools, fluids, ect) you waste doing it 2 or 3 times to get it right, you could pay a guy 200$ to do and have your car back in a day.

Idk I will do just about anything to my car.. but messing with the rear is something I'll leave to a pro. If you have the tools / experience to do it right, by all means have at it. But for a first timer or even someone who has only done it once or twice, it might just be worth it to have it done at a shop.
I understand what you're saying but at the same time how do you think the pros started? I understand the rear end is scary. I now know how scary it can be, however, if you're patient and have a little help and second opinions you can be easily successful on the job. I will say that it does help to have a "pro" giving you opinions on shim sizes and patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamfreak22 View Post
thanks for the support detroitmetal. So u guys think i need to go higher or lower on the Backlash?
What are your shim measurements? I'm more worried about that than your backlash. If you're taking it apart again take some pictures of your current pattern and post the shim numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement