WS6 Rear End in a '95 Formula - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Rear End, Axles & Gearing

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #1

TheKon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default WS6 Rear End in a '95 Formula

Hey guys! I need some help. I've got a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula. I just picked it up not too long ago and I discovered that this car has no Limited Slip and has drum brakes in the rear. Now we all know the drum brakes are great for burn outs...but for a performance boost you really wanna go with disc. So...I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'm not sure if this question has been asked before and I promise I did attempt to search and came up with nothing.

But....
Can I install a complete rear end (axles and all) out a '98-'02 WS6 into my '95 formula, and how much of a royal pain is it going to be? Thanks in advance guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Rob

Rob Apprentice Level Tech III

Somebody already swapped that rear as all Formula's had 4 wheel discs. Drums were V6 cars.
96 WS6(sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #3

Raven02Ta Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Raven02Ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Somebody already swapped that rear as all Formula's had 4 wheel discs. Drums were V6 cars.

he's right.... looks like someone replaced your rear/housing.

and to answer your question, yes you can swap it out. just make sure the rear from the 98-02 comes from a car that does not have traction control.
521.7 Tq
"The Bullsh*t stops when the Green light pops"
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #4

Oh wow...thats bull crap...thanks guys. That also explains why my e-brake cable has been cut, and why my sway bars look like tooth picks. Well can anyone tell me any more info about what a '95 firebird would have come with? Is it a limited slip rear end? Thanks again guys!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #5

My Facebook
9T8W66 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Are you sure the car is a Formula ?

1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
Are you sure the car is a Formula ?
as per the vin...yes I am.
I knew the car had a "replaced" rear end...but I had no idea someone would even think to be as stupid as take that much time to down grade the rear like that.

Last edited by TheKon; 01-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Rob

Rob Apprentice Level Tech III

Stock rear was 4 wheel disc brakes and limited slip. If you have an M6, its a 3.42 gear. If A4, its either 2.73 or 3.23 gear.
96 WS6(sold)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #8

That info should come in handy...now I can use any of them right? Because I'm sure a 3.23 is going to be easier to find.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #9

My Facebook
9T8W66 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKon View Post
as per the vin...yes I am.
I knew the car had a "replaced" rear end...but I had no idea someone would even think to be as stupid as take that much time to down grade the rear like that.
For the record 4th Gen Vin's don't distinguish between Formula and Trans Am. W66 (Formula) and Y82 (Trans Am) RPO's are the only sure fire way to identify the model.
The rear was obviously pirated for another car. And I would bet that you'll be able to find quite a few M6 cars 3.42 10 bolts available since most upgrade to 9" rears.

1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #10

Spartan7 Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
For the record 4th Gen Vin's don't distinguish between Formula and Trans Am. W66 (Formula) and Y82 (Trans Am) RPO's are the only sure fire way to identify the model.
That's not what he said. He said he has a Formula, as opposed to a V6, which can be deciphered from the VIN by the engine code.

You can use any 93-97 LT1 rear end with no modifications. They all came with disc brakes and a posi (like said above).

You can also use a 98-02 LS1 rear, but you'll have to swap to the LS1 style e-brake cable. Since yours is already cut, that might be a better option for you (LS1's have a better e-brake setup, and bigger rear brakes).
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #11

Yeah the car is definitely a formula the car is covered in stickers that say so ...and I did just find a rear end for it. I hope my flywheel comes in tomorrow so I can finally install my new clutch and finally drive the thing home! Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by TheKon; 01-31-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement