LS1LT1 Forum banner

Help me with Tunercat

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Dustin1984 
#1 ·
I just put a Lunati cam, Complete new top end with LE2 P&P Heads, new rings, rehoned cylinders, new opti, new wiring harness, new sensors, new bearings, pretty much a complete engine rebuild with better heads. I bought Tunercat+Data Master to do the tuning, its confusing to me though. Is TunerCat going to let me just plug it in to the port under the dash and rewrite the configs in the ECM or am I going to have to do the whole EPROM thing described in the quickstart guide.

#6 ·
Ooh that would be sweet,
Eventually i plan on having a file for performance, one for daily driving, and one for gas milage. Dont know how well it's gonna work or how well the stock ECM is going to hold up switching back and forth between tunes, but im gonna find out... I will keep this thread updated when I get my tune done this week for ya.. I think the machine shop guy is going to do the first tune for max HP and Torque, then I will just take that one and modify it for the rest of the tunes, have you done any tunes yet?

#8 ·
A4 or M6? All three of those tunes will be the same tune for an M6. Not sure about the A4 tune though(I'm an M6 guy and have never done any research into the A4 portion of tuning).

Max power will be tuned in PE mode for optimum performance at WOT, which shouldn't be leaned out for any other reason. And if you want maximum gas mileage while cruising, you can command a slightly leaner AFR, but when would you want a "daily driver" tune that isn't for fuel economy?

IMHO, one good tune is all you need. If you do go with a slightly leaner AFR emissions will be impacted. Therefore if you need to pass an emissions test, that would be the only other tune I'd have (if your normal tune won't pass).

#9 ·
flashing hundreds and hundreds of times will probably kill your flash memory. there is trickery to achieve dual mapping of sorts even on the stock lt1 pcm, if you really have to do it.. (and you dont)

#13 ·
...as Mystery stated one GOOD tune.

#14 ·
Well I was trying to get the best of both worlds trying to figure out the best way. it is going to be my daily driver so that's why I'm not going any further with the motor then I got already. If I can squeeze 19 or 20 mpg, with one tune that would be badass.

Update on the car though, block got sent to the machine shop a week ago, it's going to be 7-11 days before they get it done, they got a line in front if me.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#16 ·
Thanks for the advice and stuff, Car is still in the shop,
Had all the patience I could have with the Mechanic but 3 months in I brought a trailer and boxes and took my stuff back and his loss (He paid for my pistons, some machine work, and a wiring harness). A friend is putting my motor and stuff back in my car, should be done in a couple weeks (He works rigs, just going out on another hole)... Just an update because I said I would :).

#17 ·
I just bought Tunercat... bought the pro version...

#18 ·
Very good investment. But before you go changing settings, you want to gain as much knowledge as you can.

In the sticky treads of this section, you will find some basic tuning info. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome! has some good info on tuning the obd1 pcm.

Also do a google search and read everything you can on the subject, as well as auto electrics, electronics, and computer control info.

Then when you've done your mods, post up what they are and request a member with similar mods to post up their tune. That way you will have a good starting tune and will only have to fine tune yours for optimal performance.

#19 ·
well, for my first tune I'm going to get PCMforless to do it with the mods I currently have. Right now it's guzzling gas about the same as my dad's old '79 F150 (which had a 460) after doing the CAI, intake elbow and SLP airfoil. so right now I've got to get fuel consumption back in check. after that's done, full exhaust with AIR and cat delete, then some 1.6 rockers this summer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.