Swapping Tunes between PCMs - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Swapping Tunes between PCMs

I recently purchased a motor and PCM that was pretuned for a swap. The tune is running quite well (maybe a little rich). The issue is the transmission. Seemed fine when I was test driving, until I needed to shift to 5th or 6th. Turns out the PCM and motor were not in a 6 speed like I was told but were in an automatic. What is the easiest and quickest way for me to resolve the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Global Moderator

If you have the proper data cable and a tuning program, you could get the 6-speed bin file. Then apply the changes your current bin file has. Then load new bin file for manual trans into your pcm.

Since you didn't say what year, make, model your car is, I can't say what cable or tuning program you need.

The gearheadefi forum has most of the stock bin files to download.

And welcome to our forum.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the reply, I am very knew to PCMs and having issues sorting through everything on the subject. This forum seemed to have the most useful information.

And sorry, I knew better than to post that question without the proper details.

I have a 94 Formula. The LT1 and PCM came out if a 95 Camaro.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Global Moderator

The 94 & 95 use the same pcm. Just different tune bin files for different cars & equipment.

You can get a aldl to usb port cable at the following link. For your 94, the 12 pin obd 1 cable is the one you want. OBD Diagnostics

I used to recommend Red Devil River Cables. But they left a member high & dry after sending him a defective cable. So don't buy that brand.

As for tuning programs, our member Steveo has one called "EEHack" it will change bin files and upload them to pcm. It's free to use. Look for posts by Steveo. In his sig at bottom of his posts, you will find a link to EEHack. I have not used the program, but it should be easy to use. Any questions, ask Steveo as he wrote the program.

EEHack should have scanning included with it for checking sensor data and reading codes.

Tunerpro rt will make changes to the bin file of pcm. But with this free program you need tunercat "winflash" to upload the new bin file to pcm. Winflash is 20 dollars at tunercat web site.

Tunercat's obd 1 tuning program is what I have. You can download a demo for free, but it doesn't have the correct definition file to read lt1 pcm. So you would have to spend 20 dollars on the $EE definition file needed to read 94-95 lt1 pcm.

A great scan program for free, was written by our member GaryDoug. It's called "scan9495" It was written for our 93-95 f-bodies. It scans for regular codes, ABS, & SIR codes. It does running sensor scans and will log data to a file for playback. It also tests engine & auto trans actuators. And it's free. www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

If you already have the obd 1 cable, just go to the link I will provide and download the newest version from the v-8 folder. To have program work, your pc needs dot net framework V 4.0 or newer. It's in a folder on same page as program. Or go to Microsoft site to download

Last edited by cocobolo95; 04-09-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I REALLY appreciate your help man. I just ordered the 12 pin cable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to update this. The information Coco provided was exactly what I needed. I managed to fix the tune on my PCM and everything works perfectly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Global Moderator

Glad I was able to help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement