newby from ky - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3Forums > New User Introductions

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

znasty user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default newby from ky

Have a lot of questions for yall
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Welcome to the forum, we will try to answer those questions for you. In the meantime, here are some lt1 info sources. shbox.com has a treasure trove of good lt1 info.
In the 4th gen section, in the sticky threads, lies the 4th gen parts books for download. In the regular threads of the 4th gen section lie the 94, 96, 98, & 00 service manuals for members to download. The link there will also get 99-02 wiring diagrams, and 82-02 exploded views for firebird.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Thanks. And one questing is how hard hard is it to change gears in the rear end and what is a good set to put in for street racing and being my daily. Driver
Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Global Moderator

The actual changing of the gears is not hard, but to do the job so the gears will last requires a dial indicator setup to get the clearances correct, and the knowledge to make the changes needed.

What ratio I would recommend depends on if car is m6 or auto. If m6 I would go with 3.73 gears as trans has overdrive ratios to help get decent gas mileage. If auto I would go with 3.42 as overdrive ratio in 4l60e is not as deep as the m6. If you don't care about gas mileage go for the 3.73 ratio.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

How do I dial indicate the rear end
Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Global Moderator

The dial indicator is a tool that measures distances. It is set up will other accessories that hold the dial indicator in the correct spot to measure distances between parts, or measure back lash between gears.

I suggest doing a google search for step by step rear end setup. There are write ups and video's out there to help you. Also the 4th gen section has 94, 96, 98, & 00 f-body service manuals that you can read to get the procedure.

After that you can decide if you think you can handle the job, then go out and buy or borrow the equipment needed to do the measurements. Autozone and Advance auto parts lend tools, but I don't know if they have rear gear change tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement