LS1LT1 Forum banner

Hello All! 99' Trans Am here!

684 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  goldiewang 
#1 ·
Hello! I am officially the proud owner of a '99 Pontiac Trans Am with the LS1. I bought it just last week for a steal although it needs a little TLC in order to be in a great condition. It's a little rough paint wise but a straight bodied car. Has 113k miles on it and seems to run super strong. It has a set of Long Tube heads (not sure of brand, Ill take a pic) and is dyno tuned with papers. Made 316Whp and 34x Torque on a dynojet.

Upon test driving the car had two CEL's and a slight hesitation under 2k rpms at random while under light throttle. I ran the codes and it was for both o2 sensor banks having a hot circuit. I cant remember but anyway I got under the car and checked it out sure enough the o2 wires had been melted by poor install and touching the headers. also it looks to be stock o2's with wire extensions. The fuse under the hood would blow soon as you put one in it.

After buying the car, just as a test I spliced all the extension wires on the left bank and fixed the bare spots. The right bank shows no bare spots but it has gotten a little hot. I realize this changed the resistance and made the sensor reading inaccurate however the idea was to insure this was the issue. So it fixed the problem and now I cleared the codes and installed a fuse. Good as new although I now have a different kind of hesitation which I am sure that's from the spliced spots giving an inaccurate reading. So today I ordered two Denso 234-4617 o2's and some DEI heat reflective tape. A little creative zip tying and some heat tape should do the trick. At this point I hope to find the issue is fixed however if not I will post on the forums with this information!

Thanks for the read!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.