LS1LT1 Forum banner

My $300 Firebird

36K views 173 replies 35 participants last post by  Mystery Bird 
#1 ·
Long story short I bought this for $300...

and turned it into this:

I will go into more detail of the whole story as time permits.

See less See more
#3 ·
After seeing the commercial on TV for the new Trans Am in 1998 I wanted one but couldn't afford one. In 2003 I came accross the v-6 coupe for $300. It was smashed in the front and had a blown trans but all I envisioned was that WS6 TA. Started selling parts off it and buying the ones I needed...

...a little ******* frame straigtening...

Before and after pics...

I drove it with the v-6 for two years, then bought a 95 donor TA and starting converting...

#10 · (Edited)
So I ported the heads picked up a use Comp cams 280 XFI cam, bult my own sub frame connectors, and bought a 3000 RPM Edge racing converter. At this point I started going to the local track for test and tune. This was first time with street tires. Found these rare ROH wheels that are the same as the 94 Firehawk.

First time out I ran a best of 13.3. Went back the following week with a set of drag radials and ran a 12.8. The following year I kept tweaking and tuning to finally acheive my goal of an 11.9.

Of course this wan't enough, so I pulled the heads winter of 2010 to port them some more, add larger valves, had converter restalled to 3600 and ran a best of 11.63.

2011 was not a good year for me, although I got a SI engine with home ported heads to run mid-high 11's I spun it too high for too long and spun a rod bearing. Pulled that engine out and replaced with another SI short block with a six speed this time. The six speed was fun on the street but I prefer a high-stall auto. Anyway I wanted to try the six speed at the track, but once again had a bad day and spun bearings on another SI engine which ended the season for me. In the fall of 2011 I found a deal on a low mileage stroker engine with TFS heads. Over the winter I tore it down, added flat top pistons, had the crank polished, MB ported the TFS heads, LE custom cam, and a few other additions.

#12 · (Edited)
Along the way with the help of this board, others like it, and many great people, I have done almost everything on my car myself including; painting my car, building the engines, rebuilding transmission, PCM tuning w/wideband, installing gears, building and fabricating different things like subframe connectors, custom this and custom that. I learned how to succussfully port heads with results to prove it. Along the way I have bought and sold many parts and cars to help gather the parts for my car and defray the costs of other stuff I needed and wanted. I am a true do-it-yourself hobbyist, and have done everything with minimal monies spent.

#15 ·
Thanks, I've come along way and reached many goals with hundreds of hours of research and help from many others, but it wont be complete until I bring this car to the LTX shootout. It's not just a goal, it's a dream. That is the one thing I can't figure out how to do on a budget.

#16 ·
Your the poster man for the do it yourself crowd. I wish everyone was willing to try and learn new skills like you. Now Mystery I'd like to ask a favor. Since I bought 98 and up front parts for my 95, I'm going to want to build my own ram air hood. What I don't have are the dimensions of the ram air scoops on the hood. If your willing, I would like fairly precise measurements of the scoops. Since they are the same on both sides one will do. What I need is the hight of the scoop starting at the front and going all the way to the back. 1 measurement every inch of travel would be good. If you would I would greatly appreciate it. If you undertake this task pm me with the hight dimensions.

#18 ·
Your the poster man for the do it yourself crowd. I wish everyone was willing to try and learn new skills like you. Now Mystery I'd like to ask a favor. Since I bought 98 and up front parts for my 95, I'm going to want to build my own ram air hood. What I don't have are the dimensions of the ram air scoops on the hood. If your willing, I would like fairly precise measurements of the scoops. Since they are the same on both sides one will do. What I need is the hight of the scoop starting at the front and going all the way to the back. 1 measurement every inch of travel would be good. If you would I would greatly appreciate it. If you undertake this task pm me with the hight dimensions.
Coco, of course I will help you with this. I'm on vacation next week so I will PM with details and pictures.

you sand bagger! that's my neck of the woods! kind of! i'm from Saratoga area Ny! one sexy ride!
Do you go to the valley? If so let me know, I've had a bunch of people asking me to get together some time and go.

#17 ·
you sand bagger! that's my neck of the woods! kind of! i'm from Saratoga area Ny! one sexy ride!

#19 ·
Damn impressive work sir. That pa tag a photoshop?

#31 ·
Winter Upgrades

Adding Moser 12 bolt rear w/detroit true trac and 3.90 gears, BMR Xtreme anti-roll bar, UMI lower control arms w/relocation brackets, UMI panhard par, stainless braided brake lines, 3" steel nitrous DS, UMI short torque arm, 4l80e transmission, 4000 Edge converter, and a six point roll bar.

#32 ·
Get that 80e in there ASAP so I can learn from your experiences ;)

And may wanna throw a tack weld on the bottom nuts on the rear for the TA through bolts, they have a tendency to back off.

#33 ·
wow do u got alot of work into that car...some ppl just think its just a ta with aftermarket parts on it..but its just not tht theres alot of time and money into that car. good job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.