Question Need your clutch opinions - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Manual Transmissions | Clutches

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Cobra_Slayer user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Need your clutch opinions

Hey guys, the stock clutch is finally starting to go in the Z. I just wanted to get some of your opinions on what I should go with. It will need to handle at least 500 hp. The car is not a daily driver. It will be ran at the track a few times a year. I appreciate any help guys.

Edit: I should point out the car is a bolt on only car as of now but is getting torn down for a rebuild this winter and getting stroked to a 383 and built for power. Like mentioned before I'm shooting for mid 400 to 500 hp..
Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

96 Z28 Usual bolt ons
"I don't always downshift, but when I do its near a mustang so they can hear what muscle sounds like"

Last edited by Cobra_Slayer; 12-05-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Alverson29 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Most likely the best choice would be a RAM. my buddy has a 95 trans am with a HIGH PERFORMANCE 383 making 540 to the wheels, however when he replacd the clutch it did nothing but slip it until it was burnt up. So i would spend a little extra money and get one thats going to hold up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #3

My Facebook
andersons1994z28 Apprentice Level Tech I

ram and spec both make good clutches just read the add when you go to pick one out and just make sure you get one to handle the kind of power that you are wanting to be making.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Supporting Member

USMC user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Ram powergrip hd is my choice. They're $479.00 @ Pace Performance and Texas Speed will match that price. Just FYI. Oh and they're made in America.
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alverson29 View Post
Most likely the best choice would be a RAM. my buddy has a 95 trans am with a HIGH PERFORMANCE 383 making 540 to the wheels, however when he replacd the clutch it did nothing but slip it until it was burnt up. So i would spend a little extra money and get one thats going to hold up.

Just curious as to what his set up is as mine is being finished right now. Thanks
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #6

93formulafirebird user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I was running a ram powergrip HD until my head cracked on me, loved it, little rough on the street and the ole U-Joints but Held spray nicely.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Ram powergrip hd is my choice. They're $479.00 @ Pace Performance and Texas Speed will match that price. Just FYI. Oh and they're made in America.
I'm hearing a lot about this clutch. Any idea what kinda power they are good for? Or do they have different setups for different power setups, my goal is 450 to 500 wheel hp.

96 Z28 Usual bolt ons
"I don't always downshift, but when I do its near a mustang so they can hear what muscle sounds like"
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Transamman25 Tradesman Level Tech I

I have abused Spec clutches for the last 10 yrs... I love em and when I dont their customer service department works with me until I am happy. I bought a Spec Stage 3+ that didnt like the 200 shot of nitrous...Called them and they worked out a deal to upgrade to their stage 5.

Great company, Great product .... they have my buisness for life!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Ram powergrip hd is good for 650 crank hp...according to advertisement.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #10

Dynamic396 Apprentice Level Tech III

As a Spec dealer, I'm a little biased, but I'm using the Spec Stage 3 in my 396 build. I, too, have abused Spec clutches with some decent power levels and they just keep on putting up with it...

And, yes, they are a great company to work with.
1995 Camaro Z-28, M6, 396 stroker, Scat forged 3.875" crank, Scat Ultra Q-Lite 6" H-beams, Icon forged pistons (4.030"), splayed 4 bolt w/ARP studs, 12.25:1, AFR 210 heads (2.08"/1.6", 58cc), Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD 1.7:1 rockers, GM847 cam (234/242 .611"/.632"), Edelbrock LT4 air-gap intake, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, 24x conversion, 0411 PCM, TPIS 58mm, Bosch III 42# injectors, Aeromotive 340, Kook's stepped LT's, Kook's custom stainless 3-1/2" merge ORY, Magnaflow
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #11

BALLSS user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Slayer View Post
Like mentioned before I'm shooting for mid 400 to 500 hp..
quite a diffrence between 400 & 500 hp from a LT1...assumeing you mean RWHP

My $02 is a dual disc clutch..aka "twin". Mc Leod makes one for LT1 and SPEC may also. Get ceramic material disc vs organic
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #12

NuckinFutz93 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Another vote for spec. I have run the crap out of my stage 3+ in my 93 Z, not a single slip. I just ordered 1 for the Corvette, cause if you gonna do it, do it right.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

I like diamond clutches. I had a stage 3 for about 40k miles behind a 408. It never missed a beat. He only has LS clutches on his website, but give him a call and he can get lt1.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #14

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll definitely be looking into these clutch set ups mentioned here.

96 Z28 Usual bolt ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement