Question T5 Swap Needed Parts? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Manual Transmissions | Clutches

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

backpain1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default T5 Swap Needed Parts?

Ok i Own a 1999 T/A WS6 with 28000 miles.
It runs great no major issues (Knock on Wood) but it has an Auto, its a 5 speed auto and down the line i hope to swap it out for a T5 Manual.

My Qestions are:
Can Someone provide a relative parts list? like the master cyinder and other supporting parts.

Does the Y-pipe or other exhaust bits need to be modfied? because I live in commiefornia and moving the cats 1 inch is consindered illegal.

and since i am not the most mecanicaly inclinded person, how many hours does a swap usualy take? so i know wat ill need to save for the shop?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

95 Firehawk Apprentice Level Tech III

Are you looking for part numbers, or just a list of part names?

Why would you want to use the T5? The T56 is superior to the T5 in just about every way, and is original equipment. I'm not even sure you can get T5 parts that would work with an LS1.
1995 Firehawk #528 resto-mod underway

Planned 383 rebuild: 195cc competition LT4 AFR heads, custom cam grind (still debating specs), 6" or 5.85" rods, forged internals

Upgraded T56: Viper mainshaft and 2nd gear, steel 3/4 shift fork, Billet keys 1-4, bronze shifter cup, internals Cryo'd and REM'd
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

2cat95TA Apprentice Level Tech I

You have a 5 speed auto?!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

just a list of part names

and i prefer 5 speeds, unless u have another 5 speed alternative of the top of your head.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

Yes, i counted 5 changes, plus i heard the the person who originally ordered this car had every box checked, but he wanted an auto that would not ruin the experience, so i don't know if i take this for truth, but they apparently took a T5, and converted it to Auto. i wouldn't believe it, but EVERY car i have driven as been auto, this auto does not feel automatic in the full bit if you know what i mean.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpain1 View Post
but they apparently took a T5, and converted it to Auto.
That simply isn't possible.

I did find a link to a guy who converted a T5 to be used behind an LS1:

http://racelubbock.com/forum/showthread.php?p=352767

This is not a simple task by any means, and with any extra power, you'll likely break the T5; they simply aren't as strong as the T56. I would strongly suggest you reconsider using a T5. Do you have something against 6th gear?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Planned 383 rebuild: 195cc competition LT4 AFR heads, custom cam grind (still debating specs), 6" or 5.85" rods, forged internals

Upgraded T56: Viper mainshaft and 2nd gear, steel 3/4 shift fork, Billet keys 1-4, bronze shifter cup, internals Cryo'd and REM'd

Last edited by 95 Firehawk; 11-21-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

i personalty think that the ls1s power band can be better used with a five speed, and a few other reasons that i personally like: i love that the engine revs would climb slower then a 6 speed, plus i would like to turn my T/A into a grip racer, not much on drag. BUT the T56, how laborious is it to swap in?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #8

Quote:
i personalty think that the ls1s power band can be better used with a five speed, and a few other reasons that i personally like: i love that the engine revs would climb slower then a 6 speed
That's not true. The ratios are taller on the T5 from 1-3, so your revs would climb faster, not slower. Either way it wouldn't be much; the gear ratios are very similar:

Gear : 1st : 2nd : 3rd : 4th : 5th : 6th
T5 2.95 1.94 1.34 1 .74
T56 2.66 1.78 1.30. 1 .74 .50

Of course there are some variations of the gear sets depending on the year, car used on, etc., but those are the common ones.

Quote:
BUT the T56, how laborious is it to swap in?
I've never done the swap personally, but it would be much easier than the T5 since the T56 was original equipment for the manual cars. A short list off the top of my head would be:

M6 Pedal assembly
Clutch assembly
Flywheel
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch fluid reservoir
Throw out bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch pivot fork
Bell housing
Shifter & handle
M6 console
Reverse lockout solenoid
Skip shift solenoid (most delete this)
Backup light switch
VSS (might be the same off yours)

In addition to those parts, you will also need to modify your harness to accommodate the switch, solenoids, and VSS, and the PCM will need the auto tuned out. It would also be recommended to put higher rear end gears than the auto's 3:23.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Ok thanks, but is the best factory rear end available for the 99 T/A? because the individual's brother said the car had the best rear end from the factory, basically it WAS a Standard MT 6 Speed, but the person who ordered it couldn't shift anymore due to some illness. but he said to Pontiac that he did not want an auto that would ruin the experience or acceleration, so it got what i have now. a "Custom" Factory 5 speed auto, it allows 0-60 in 5.8-6.0, similar to the 4 speeds, but again, it seems to rough to be a mass produced GM auto
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #10

I would forget anything this guy told you. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. GM would not go find some "custom" factory 5 speed auto for anyone. You get two options, 4l60e or T56. That's it. Not sure what he means by the "best factory rear end" either. They are all 10 bolts, and are a weak link in the drivetrain. An auto came with either 2.73's or 3.23's, the M6 came with 3.42's. I'm guessing you have 3.23's since that would be an upgrade over the 2.73's. It may even be standard with the WS6, but I'm not certain.

Look at your RPO codes (I believe in the driver's side door jamb that year), GU2 = 2.73, GU5 = 3.23, GU6 = 3.42. If you have one of the first two you will also have M30, which indicates you have the 4l60e 4-speed auto. If you have GU6, you will also have MM6, which means the car was originally equipped with the T56.

Things can be done to make the transmission shift harder. Doesn't mean you have a totally different transmission.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #11

ok, but did the 4l60e auto have a 5th gear overdrive? or am i just imagining things? because at 30% gas from a standstill, it will shift 5 times, unless my counting is off.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #12

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

there is a mode that almost feels like a '5th gear'. it's called torque converter solenoid lockup mode

you'll feel a slight drop in rpm as the torque converter locks 1:1 to save fuel, as you reach cruising speed in 4th

so... yeah, it's not a gear, it's just your torque converter being forced to lock

easy mistake to make though
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

OK that sounds right, thanks for the intro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement