hard clutch vibration? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
96 lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 103
 
hard clutch vibration?

Hey guys, just curious what could be the cause of clutch vibration? From what I understand the clutch is relatively new, and it never slips and shifts great through acceleration. The problem is when I'm stopped and I go to take off in first, it vibrates pretty bad right before i depress it and take off. If I were to push the clutch all the way to the floor, it would start vibrating about about 3/4 the way out, so pretty much right before i start to take off. This is a pretty bad vibration too, so what are some causes?

Justin

96 Camaro Z28, mildly modded
2007 Dodge Ram SLT "Big Horn" 4 door
97 Saturn SC1 (DD)
07 GSXR 1000...

I live my life a quarter mile at a time
96 lt1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 lt1 View Post
Hey guys, just curious what could be the cause of clutch vibration? From what I understand the clutch is relatively new, and it never slips and shifts great through acceleration. The problem is when I'm stopped and I go to take off in first, it vibrates pretty bad right before i depress it and take off. If I were to push the clutch all the way to the floor, it would start vibrating about about 3/4 the way out, so pretty much right before i start to take off. This is a pretty bad vibration too, so what are some causes?

well I can say this..I have same problem clutch was just replaced about 5k miles ago. did everything new except for a new pressure plate all was fine until new motor went in they installer did something to the pilot bearing as he admitted and a few day later the pressure plate was all screwed up when taken apart..my belief is that improper installation of the pilot bearing caused the other damage ...anyway at this point i need a new pressure plate and release bearing...

I hope like hell Jake will chime in here cause he really seems to know alot
anyway it was recomended to me to get the zoom kit which has everything
there are two versions 1. is the MU unit and the other is a high performance kit with a kevlar disc

so i need info on weather to get the couple parts from gm or get the zoom unit
mcseccne is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
96 lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 103
 
It also does it pretty bad if I'm downshifting.. I forgot to add that. If i go from say, 4th to 3rd, right before i engage into third it will have a hard quick vibration and then go into gear as normal. It doesn't affect the shifting, it's just annoying and tends to make me shift more subtly rather than just popping it into the next gear.

Justin

96 Camaro Z28, mildly modded
2007 Dodge Ram SLT "Big Horn" 4 door
97 Saturn SC1 (DD)
07 GSXR 1000...

I live my life a quarter mile at a time
96 lt1 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
 
Hey man,im new to here but I just recently baught a 96 trans am M6 and it was perfect for the first wk,i literally had it two wks now and it was doing exactly what yours is doing including the vibration when down shifting,im having the place where I got it help me get this fixed,like you said once you got going there wasnt any problem with shifting to any gear I also felt vibration from the car while driving on the highway,not from clutch or tranny.....i think,not sure.....but any ways once I get mine looked at this wk end ill post back here,i cant drive mine at all till its fixed it just went out on me today ;(
Formula420 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
96 lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 103
 
Yeah that'd be awesome because it still does it. I'm just dealing with it for now. Have bigger issues like overheating and things. But yeah get back to me asap, I'd like to atleast KNOW what's going on rather than wonder.

Justin

96 Camaro Z28, mildly modded
2007 Dodge Ram SLT "Big Horn" 4 door
97 Saturn SC1 (DD)
07 GSXR 1000...

I live my life a quarter mile at a time
96 lt1 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
 
I explained the problem to the guys who are going to fix the problem and they are saying it sounds like preadure plate is jacked up and cause of the problem could be wasnt installed properly or who ever had it before me didnt do proper break in with it and might have to replace some other shit also,getting my t/a in tomorrow so will know for sure in a few days.its taken so long to get back to you cause the place I got it at kept blowing me off and acting they werent going to help fix the probm....**** that,not even two wks and had problem,mot playing that game....ill get at ya in couple days
Formula420 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
 
Hey Justin, finally got an answear. .....I was told the throw out bearing was bad and the shift fork went bad but the clutch and preasure plate are still good and not damaged witch is good since that will make it cheaper for fixing it. Probably looking at 5-600 total with parts and labor, maybe cheaper but they didn't say, I'm just assuming. Once I get it on this Thursday ill let you know if the problem is fixed
Formula420 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
96 lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 103
 
Throw out bearing huh? I just installed a new B&M Ripper Short throw shifter and it actually helped a little, but still does it. It's at its worst when it's hot. It doesnt do it too bad when i first start driving, but after 20 minutes or so it start to get worse. Obviously the fluid has thinned by that point and heated up so it makes since. You ever done tranny work before? You could save A LOT of money if you replaced that stuff yourself. I scored a tranny for my saturn on CL for 200.00 a few months ago and put it in over the weekend, swapped clutches out and throw out bearing(parts were bad on the new trans, trans was in the car was toast, but parts were good) Tranny shop was gonna charge 0ver 1k so I was like F*** that and did it myself. Pretty simple stuff if you just take your time, especially on a RWD car.But yeah keep in touch, curious what all needed to be replaced. Careful with those mechanics, they can charge you for a bunch of shit that never took place. I'd make random stops and see how things are going from day to day.. unless it's someone you can trust of course. Alright man, take care and good luck!

Justin

96 Camaro Z28, mildly modded
2007 Dodge Ram SLT "Big Horn" 4 door
97 Saturn SC1 (DD)
07 GSXR 1000...

I live my life a quarter mile at a time
96 lt1 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
 
Cool

Hey Justin, since I got the throw out bearing replaced and clutch fork the vibrations are gone and when ibdown shift no more vibration from that either so it seems the problem is fixed in that aspect. .....question though.......when I'm in neutral I hear some chattering under car,I thought maybe it was the engine but once I pused the clutch in the noise stooped?? You got a clue what it might be.....never told the mechanics about it cause I forgot
Formula420 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Regular Member
 
97 SS LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 711
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula420 View Post
Hey Justin, since I got the throw out bearing replaced and clutch fork the vibrations are gone and when ibdown shift no more vibration from that either so it seems the problem is fixed in that aspect. .....question though.......when I'm in neutral I hear some chattering under car,I thought maybe it was the engine but once I pused the clutch in the noise stooped?? You got a clue what it might be.....never told the mechanics about it cause I forgot
The noise you are hearing is the throw out bearing. If you have a cam..."they" say it's normal. Mine does the same thing.

1997 Camaro SS #695 M6, T-tops, 355 CID, LT, Ypipe, TB bypass, air foil, 52MM TB, 4:10 gears, Electric Cutout, 160 thermostat, EGR AIR delete, K&N air filter, Trickflow Elbow, 8.5MM wires, MSD streetfire coil, 230/244 112 LSA 306 cam, 1.6 RR, P&P heads with valve job, 32lb injectors. Forged alum. pistons, new bottom end. Solomon tune. Ram HD clutch....needs more power!!
97 SS LT1 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Regular Member
 
97 SS LT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 711
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 lt1 View Post
Throw out bearing huh? I just installed a new B&M Ripper Short throw shifter and it actually helped a little, but still does it. It's at its worst when it's hot. It doesnt do it too bad when i first start driving, but after 20 minutes or so it start to get worse. Obviously the fluid has thinned by that point and heated up so it makes since. You ever done tranny work before? You could save A LOT of money if you replaced that stuff yourself. I scored a tranny for my saturn on CL for 200.00 a few months ago and put it in over the weekend, swapped clutches out and throw out bearing(parts were bad on the new trans, trans was in the car was toast, but parts were good) Tranny shop was gonna charge 0ver 1k so I was like F*** that and did it myself. Pretty simple stuff if you just take your time, especially on a RWD car.But yeah keep in touch, curious what all needed to be replaced. Careful with those mechanics, they can charge you for a bunch of shit that never took place. I'd make random stops and see how things are going from day to day.. unless it's someone you can trust of course. Alright man, take care and good luck!

Have you ever spun the clutch??

1997 Camaro SS #695 M6, T-tops, 355 CID, LT, Ypipe, TB bypass, air foil, 52MM TB, 4:10 gears, Electric Cutout, 160 thermostat, EGR AIR delete, K&N air filter, Trickflow Elbow, 8.5MM wires, MSD streetfire coil, 230/244 112 LSA 306 cam, 1.6 RR, P&P heads with valve job, 32lb injectors. Forged alum. pistons, new bottom end. Solomon tune. Ram HD clutch....needs more power!!
97 SS LT1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome