Question EGR delete - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #1

idabomb00 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default EGR delete

Simple question. What do I do with the the control solenoid? I really dont want to leave it on but I'd much prefer not having a code.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

Need to know year of car, weather you have to pass emissions, and if so, what types of emission testing.

For example if you have a 94 or 95 obd1 car, removing the control solenoid will make you throw a code. If you have emission testing, this code will fail you.

On 94 and 95, there is inexpensive tuning software available to delete the code from your pcm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Need to know year of car, weather you have to pass emissions, and if so, what types of emission testing.

For example if you have a 94 or 95 obd1 car, removing the control solenoid will make you throw a code. If you have emission testing, this code will fail you.

On 94 and 95, there is inexpensive tuning software available to delete the code from your pcm.
Its a 94 formula and no emissions testing. I dont mind there being a code as long as the ses light doesn't come on. I could only assume it would.

I have the usb cable that runs between the obd port and my laptop if that helps.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Global Moderator

If you already have a cable, you can download the 30 day trial of tunercat obd1 tuner at TunerCat. It will remove the code for you. However, the trial version of tunercat comes with a definition file for a mid 80's cutlass. So you are going to have to spend 20 bucks and get the $EE definition file needed to read 94 and 95 lt1 pcm's.

And yes, since this is an emission related code, it definitely turns on the ses.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
If you already have a cable, you can download the 30 day trial of tunercat obd1 tuner at TunerCat. It will remove the code for you. However, the trial version of tunercat comes with a definition file for a mid 80's cutlass. So you are going to have to spend 20 bucks and get the $EE definition file needed to read 94 and 95 lt1 pcm's.

And yes, since this is an emission related code, it definitely turns on the ses.
Sorry if I sound new to this because I am. I have some software called tunerpro rt with two ee files, one is EE.xdf and the other is EE_manual.adx

One is the definition for my car, are they the same file for tunercat? Can I delete the codes with tunerpro?

I can only assume to delete DTC 27 and DTC 32.

I am in the process of fixing the infamous intake manifold leak. Pos burned out my new clutch I just put in 8k miles ago.

I work 55+ hours a week with no garage to work in so its been slow progress. Trying to mod this stuff while I have it apart. I love this car and I want to get it on the road again.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Tuner pro will read your pcm contents, allow you to make the changes to the program, but will not upload the changes to your pcm.

You will need winflash from the tunercat site. Another 30 day free trial. So you should be able to upload the changes to your pcm with winflash for free. At least for 30 days.

You need both those files for tunerpro to work with your pcm. They do not work with tunercat as they are a different format.

yes getting rid of dtc 27 and 32 should do it.

Good luck on the car, we're here to help.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 11-17-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

Quote:
Tuner pro will read your pcm contents, allow you to make the changes to the program, but will not upload the changes to your pcm.
it wont actually read the pcm either; you need winflash for both.

download your old bin with winflash.

don't use the default definition files, use mine instead resfilter.net - /carstuff/EEX

i've organized it very well so new users can find the appropriate parameters more easily. the most commonly used parameters have a * in front of them so you can locate them more quickly. there are also dozens more useful features that aren't in the default definition.

load it and set "View By" to "Parameter Category"

first open the 'error checking' category, then 'emissions/accessories'. the two codes are there.

also zero the spark table in SPARK TIMING > EGR Spark Advance Correction

if you dont do that, and the EGR duty cycle is generated, it'll advance timing too far (it'll think the EGR is open when it doesn't even exist)
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

just so you know what's happening there with that timing table, the exhaust gasses pumped in from the EGR reduce combustion temperature at the same time as they decrease power (since that stuff doesn't burn).

they compensate by adding extra timing when the EGR is open; to overcome some/all of the power loss.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
load it and set "View By" to "Parameter Category"
Am I making these changes with winflash?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #10

zeeman user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I read when researching for my car to just leave the selonoid pluged in but disconnect the vacuum lines, and block everything off. The 94 system just sends a signal it doesn't check for function. So as long as you leave the selonoid no code will throw.

Please research this further before doing it, my memory isn't what it once was.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
I read when researching for my car to just leave the selonoid pluged in but disconnect the vacuum lines, and block everything off. The 94 system just sends a signal it doesn't check for function. So as long as you leave the selonoid no code will throw.

Please research this further before doing it, my memory isn't what it once was.
I am researching, that's why I'm here. The point of deleting the egr from the pcm is so I dont have a useless solenoid bolted on to the intake manifold.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #12

Then remove it from the manifold, remove it from the bracket, and tape it to the wire harness until you delete it from the computer. Its fairly small and wont take up much space.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Then remove it from the manifold, remove it from the bracket, and tape it to the wire harness until you delete it from the computer. Its fairly small and wont take up much space.
Yeah, my car is on jack stands with no transmission or intake manifold...
My point is I have time. As I posted earlier, I had an oil leak in the intake manifold that made the clutch go bad.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

Thats a bummer for sure. I just finished installing lifters, a new opti, water pump, and headers on mine. Been through the intake manifold r&r. I also did head gaskets at the same time. Its been a month so far, and mine is still on the rack. I feel your pain.
My point is, its a nut and a wire connector. it'll take 2 seconds to tune out with a computer. do the rest of the delete , just leave it plugged in for now so you dont get a code. Then when you find someone to tune it or the proper soft ware to tune it, zap. its done.
here is a thread with a copy of the manifold installation procedure that I used to prevent further problems. I cant find the original. LT1 Intake Removal, Post #8, Just in case you hadent seen it already.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #15

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

Put a vacume cap on the outgoing side to the egr leave hooked up until tune out. No codes no timing pulled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement