Lt1 OPTISPARK problems??? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #1

johntom user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to johntom
Default Lt1 OPTISPARK problems???

ive heard some bad htings about the optispark system on the LT1's have any of you had problems or do you have any other info to share about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
imported_admin

Default Re: Lt1 OPTISPARK problems???

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntom
ive heard some bad htings about the optispark system on the LT1's have any of you had problems or do you have any other info to share about them?
Who hasn't had problems with an optispark? LOL. THere's two parts to the opti. THere's an optical cam position sensor. This part is a Mistu build piece and is VERY accurate at reading cam position and delivering timing signals, but its very moisture sensitive.

The other half is the high voltage section where the rotor conducts the spark just like any other distributor. This half can also be affected by moisture and also over time the high voltage creates ozone inside the cap that corrodes the contacts.

They can be reliable if you keep them dry, which can be hard when its mounted on the front of the motor under the water pump. The upside is they are not hard to replace, a little messy with the w/p removal, and they are only about $200 a pop brand new from GM. If maintained properly you shouldn't have to replace it too often.

One mistake a lot of guys make is they add an MSD box onto the ignition. The multiple spark errodes the contacts inside the rotor very rapidly. MSDs have been responsible for lots of opti failures, particularly on boosted cars.

There are some nice options out there to eliminate the opti all together now, including just taking the high voltage side offline and continuing to use the cam sensor part. With the voltage removed from the opti the cam sensor section can live a very long life. Same basic sensor is used on lots of other vehicles out there minus the distributor half.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:19 AM   #3

F-Bobby Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to F-Bobby

junk it and get Deltech coils. thats all i have to say about that. WORST IGNITION SYSTEM EVER!

1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA <-- Yeah its real
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #4

Rena Apprentice Level Tech III
Talking

Just had mine replaced. Cost was a house a car and a leg.

There not cheap and Ive had many mechanics quit on me after doing little things on this car. But you never let on that that is the case. You just smile and wave at the people who stand and drool as you drive by.

Its all worth it in the end.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #5

Vendetta Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Vendetta

People play out opti problems a lot more than they should be. A lot of them are actually due to owner error, like a batched installation.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #6

Fastbird Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to Fastbird

I've had exactly two problems with opti's.

I powerwashed the engine bay of my black car right after buying it, before I knew better. BIG mistake. Fried it.

Second problem was some corrosion on the harness.....DTC 36, new opti and clean harness fixed it.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #7

transamtom Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbird
I've had exactly two problems with opti's.

I powerwashed the engine bay of my black car right after buying it, before I knew better. BIG mistake. Fried it.

Second problem was some corrosion on the harness.....DTC 36, new opti and clean harness fixed it.
LMAO,I did the same thing
Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #8

Dan Parker '96 Apprentice Level Tech III

I've had great success with the Opti...

Check this link as well... http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360817
Old 08-18-2005, 02:11 PM   #9

NXSLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to NXSLT1

I have 149,000 miles on my original opti and have washed the engine a few times, ran it thru a car wash with the under body wash several times and even had a leaking water pump for several months and have never had a problem. The opti gets blamed too much but I think it's hated mostly due to the pain it is to change out. As far as the cap and rotor, it's basically the same thing as the old school stuff and you do have to change them out every now and again, they don't last forever.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #10

Timbothemonster Apprentice Level Tech III

A couple of years back when I purchased my 1995 LT1 Corvette I ran into an expensive issue with the optispark, though it sounds (and sounded at the time) like nothing new to these pages - the car started crapping out on me randomly and a ridiculous sum of money and a new ignition system later it was all better. Though I no longer live in the rainy/snowy region I used to, Hawaii has its fair share of rainstorms and I have not had any problems since the fix. My problem originated with a worn down water pump and voila, I was in debt a short time later! But I still love the car (just not the not-so-reliable-OPTI-spark)
Old 08-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #11

SlowPurpleLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SlowPurpleLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to SlowPurpleLT1

my 94's opti took a crap on me and me being young and dumb at the time i took it to the dealership... after it was all said and it cost me 1500... now a few years later and a lil bit wiser i know that it can be fixed for alot less and it can be upgraded.. so if my 95 takes a crap.. im ready... they are a pain but they get a bad rap
Old 08-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #12

SpAuLdIzZle Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SpAuLdIzZle

mines taking a crap now.....gotta get the wallet out but i cant wait till it is done
Old 08-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #13

SlowPurpleLT1 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SlowPurpleLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to SlowPurpleLT1

make sure it is your opti... i thought mine was going last week but after closer inspection i found a burnt wire... so give evrything a close look...might save you some money
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #14

SpAuLdIzZle Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to SpAuLdIzZle

no its the the opti....i had my coil and ignition module replaces with some other stuff and the coil was just covered in white crap so...pretty sure my plugs and opti look like that too
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #15

contraststriker Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to contraststriker

I've heard high RPMs hurt the opti's...I'm at 141k on the original optispark, consistently shifting at 6-6.2k, and it's doin' fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement