Corvette LT1 vs. F-body LT1 - Page 3 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #31

Firebirdjones Apprentice Level Tech III

Okay, now you are talking about Z06's,,,,thats an entirely different animal all together. This thread started out comparing apples to apples,,,,a vette to f-body with same engines,,,,where does the Z06 fit into that? Larry.
97 Z-28 6-speed Convertable
88 Iroc 350 TPI
56 Nomad
79 Chevrolet 1 ton 454
79 Monza 406 sb
82 Jeep Scrambler (96 LT1, 4L60E)
2005 Rubicon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #32
Administrator

Transamman25 Tradesman Level Tech I

Grims is correct ..
1997-
100 30th Anniversary Camaro SSs were modified by SLP (Street Legal Performance) and included a 330 hp version of the LT4 engine. While the LT4 made it the fastest Camaro available, it was also by far the most expensive with a price of over US $38,000. The Z28 of this particular year made 285 hp (213 kW) and 325 ft•lbf (440 N•m) of torque with a Corvette derived 5.7 liter (350 CID) Engine.

Not only Camaro but the Firehawk's for 97 also had 330hp LT4's
http://www.lt1.net/Firehawk.htm

Last edited by Transamman25; 12-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #33

burnzilla Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamman25 View Post
Grims is correct ..
1997-
100 30th Anniversary Camaro SSs were modified by SLP (Street Legal Performance) and included a 330 hp version of the LT4 engine. While the LT4 made it the fastest Camaro available, it was also by far the most expensive with a price of over US $38,000. The Z28 of this particular year made 285 hp (213 kW) and 325 ftlbf (440 Nm) of torque with a Corvette derived 5.7 liter (350 CID) Engine.
(FWIW, The LT4 Corvette was 330hp, but has NO SLP parts... it was all genuine GM. If you put SLP parts on an LT4, I would think you''d have more than 330hp.)

An SS SLP is an SS that was sent to SLP to get thier performance package, but had nothing to do with LT4 stuff... they are LT1's...

Firehawks are different all together. Thats a limited edition car.. like a Blackbird.
Those 100 SLP LT4 SS's are very rare... ( Very nice too! )
the other 99.99% of SS SLP's are LT1's.

And the link to the other thread was just to show why the Corvette's technology puts them ahead.

1995 Z28 A4

Last edited by burnzilla; 12-08-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Supporting Member

Grims user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to Grims

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnzilla View Post
And the link to the other thread was just to show why the Corvette's technology puts them ahead.
I give up
Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #35

Don't worry Grims,,,I know where you are coming from.
88 Iroc 350 TPI
56 Nomad
79 Chevrolet 1 ton 454
79 Monza 406 sb
2005 Rubicon
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #36

envygreenbird Apprentice Level Tech III

I've heard of people putting LT4 heads on their LT1 F-bodies, how does that work, and is it worth it?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #37
I'm watching you....

BLK WS6 Apprentice Level Tech III

Nevermind...I'll play nice....proceed

Last edited by BLK WS6; 12-08-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by envygreenbird View Post
Alright, so the 95 Corvette had like 300 horsepower out of its LT1 and the same year F-body had 285 horsepower, so whats the deal? If its the same engine shouldn't they be equal? So how did they restrict the F-body LT1 and how do we reverse it?
Corvette got ported Exhaust Manifolds and a 3" to 2 1/2" Exhaust with Dual Mufflers.
Corvette PCM gets higher PCM Air/fuel ratio.. which is why usually 91 Octane is required.
Corvette gets newer parts by atleast one year. If the Camaro has an LS1 intake, the Vette's gets an LS6.
Corvette has bigger fuel injectors, or they spray more.
plus a shitload of little internal and external differences that make it put out more power.
Every year, even though the differences might be change depending on year, the Corvette will be 3 steps ahead.

It will always have the better tech and more flow... even though the core of the motor is the same... simple as that.
And even on a 1/4, its going to take alot more work to get an Fbody, even with the same motor, to run similar times.

Still dont get it? i give up:notworthy
He asked about more power.
Well, Like I have already stated, even IF they had the same power output, the Vette would win.
Yes the Vette might have 20 or 40 more hp, buts its technology and design, tuning, technology, fiberglass body and chassis that make a Vette compete with cars 4 times its price range on all types of tracks and tests.
Ecpecially handling, braking, cornering, acceleration, top speed, power output.... ..cough cough my throat is getting dry, excuse me

Just because you pop your hood and see the same engine doesnt make them similar.
Camaro = $7,000 with 80K
Corvette = $25,000 with 80K... same engine? Wtf?

1995 Z28 A4

Last edited by burnzilla; 12-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #39
LT1 Moral Supporter

citationdoc Apprentice Level Tech III

[quote=burnzilla;55355]Corvette PCM gets higher PCM Air/fuel ratio.. which is why usually 91 Octane is required.
Corvette gets newer parts by atleast one year. If the Camaro has an LS1 intake, the Vette's gets an LS6.

In the owners manual for my firebird it recommends 92 octane or higher. When I first bought my car, new, I did alot of research on the engine differences. The only difference in the longblocks is the vette has 4 bolt mains. The power difference came from the intake plumbing and exhaust, and of course the tune was slightly different to compensate for this. I believe the cams are the same part number. If anyone wants to continue the argument, I suggest looking up online parts catalogues and comparing part numbers as I did. That was 10 years ago that I did this. What made the f-body such a bang for the buck was the fact that it is more cost effective for GM to make alot of something, because tooling is so expensive. If the Corvette got an engine that shared nothing in common with any other models, It would be priced much higher. Think ZR1. Or C6 Z06, althought that has a much different chassis as well as a bad ass production engine. But look how much the LS7 cost from GMPP versus an LS crate engine

Last edited by citationdoc; 12-08-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #40
Administrator

Not to mention we are comparing apples to oranges here fellows .. Very few vettes got the LT4 .. most were LT1's .. the only bad 92-96 vettes that were bad were the LT5 vette's .. problem is the LT5 shares nothing with either the LT1 or LT4's the engine was a LOTUS engine , 4 cam ... need i go on ... Vette's engine doesnt dyno any diffrent than a F-Body .. anyone wanna try this ?? who has a bone stock F-Body and Y body ??
Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #41
Supporting Member

Grims user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to Grims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamman25 View Post
Not to mention we are comparing apples to oranges here fellows .. Very few vettes got the LT4 .. most were LT1's .. the only bad 92-96 vettes that were bad were the LT5 vette's .. problem is the LT5 shares nothing with either the LT1 or LT4's the engine was a LOTUS engine , 4 cam ... need i go on ... Vette's engine doesnt dyno any diffrent than a F-Body .. anyone wanna try this ?? who has a bone stock F-Body and Y body ??
The LT5 was built by Mercury Marine, do they make the Lotus engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzilla
Corvette got ported Exhaust Manifolds and a 3" to 2 1/2" Exhaust with Dual Mufflers. This is my guess for where pretty much all the rated power over the fbody came from
Corvette PCM gets higher PCM Air/fuel ratio.. which is why usually 91 Octane is required.
Corvette has bigger fuel injectors, or they spray more. The LT1 vette does not have bigger fuel injectors...and if it did it wouldn't make anymore power because stock ones are more than enough.
plus a shitload of little internal and external differences that make it put out more power.
Every year, even though the differences might be change depending on year, the Corvette will be 3 steps ahead.
It still sounds like you are trying to convince us on how great a vette is...we already know, but that's not the point. The original poster did not ask why the vette was faster, he wanted to know why it made more power, and so far you have gone all over vette generations comparing even new Z06s with a discontinued fbody. It was a simple question, why does the LT1 (note LT1, not LT4, LT5, LS1, LS6, LS7, LS98, ect) vette make more power. Not, why is it faster, or how awesome it is, or neato electronics it gets.

Last edited by Grims; 12-08-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #42
Administrator

Some LT5 History... Engine design was a cooperation between General Motors and Lotus. And, because of the small volume of LT5 engines, GM went outside their own production facilities, to find someone to build the LT5. Ultimately, Mercury Marine was chosen, because of their reputation in building aluminum engines.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
The LT5 was built by Mercury Marine, do they make the Lotus engines?

It still sounds like you are trying to convince us on how great a vette is...we already know, but that's not the point. The original poster did not ask why the vette was faster, he wanted to know why it made more power, and so far you have gone all over vette generations comparing even new Z06s with a discontinued fbody. It was a simple question, why does the LT1 (note LT1, not LT4, LT5, LS1, LS6, LS7, LS98, ect) vette make more power. Not, why is it faster, or how awesome it is, or neato electronics it gets.
God forbid we don't talk about the exact detail the reason the thread started.
And yes, Ive have gone over generations because over generations the Vette has made more power 90% of the time, even with the same motor.
That proves it...

My statements where based on the cars I have seen and rode in.
Want to know all the nitty gritty differences? Do some work and look it up. The exhaust was true, and the fuel injectors are turned up to match the more input from the high performance tune... even if they are the same injector...
And no I don't favor vette's, but I have respect for a better made car.
And don't quote me out of context... its obvious you have something against Corvette's...they seem to touch a nerve with you.

I don't know all the facts and i never said i did, but what I did state was true and that can be backed up by over 100 people in a thread that went over 20 pages about 2 months ago...
Don't believe me, why don't you go to LS1tech and ask.

1995 Z28 A4
Old 12-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #44

I understand what you are saying Grims, I am on the same page. I don't have anything against vettes either,,,hell,,,,I own one. But we need to compare apples to apples,,,LT1 vette motor compared to LT1 F body motor,,,,why the HP difference? It had nothing to do with suspension, tires, fiberglass body, etc.... That would relate more to the handling characteristics of a car, not how much HP the engine makes.

When you buy a vette, your not buying it for the extra 15 HP, (again this is LT1 verses LT1),,,,,you are buying ,,,,,,the name,,,,a 2 seater sports car that handles well with a well designed suspension and many other things associated with corvette.

I personally like both vettes and F-bodies, nothing against either, they both have their place and a certain purpose. Larry.
88 Iroc 350 TPI
56 Nomad
79 Chevrolet 1 ton 454
79 Monza 406 sb
2005 Rubicon
Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #45

Jpack Apprentice Level Tech III

Anyone want to mention drive train loss. Add that to the can of worms. Have a look atthe differences. Hell just look at M6 vs. A4 F-bods. M6 will dyno higher than an A4. Just thought I would throw that little info into the pot.....lol

Nifba.proboards.com

Clayton Racing 398, Rossler TH350 with brake, Dana S60, 250 shot, UMI Performance, Spohn, Baer brakes, 3000 race weight. Street driven race car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement