manual fan switch, stupid question - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 AM   #1

rsw3284 Apprentice Level Tech III
Default manual fan switch, stupid question

Ok i decided to install a manual fan switch in my 97 t/a, but i'm having a problem finding a good place to run the wire from the engine bay to the inside kick panel (if that's what it's called).. if i run it up top under the window lining it's almost exposed to the elements and i can't find a way to run the wire without the door hitting it (running it into the fuse box)

Sorry for the stupid question
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #2

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Are you making your own switch? This is the best way, IMO. Route the wiring this way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #3

rsw3284 Apprentice Level Tech III

thanks, just what i needed

i have it routed on the driver's side right now, ill move it later on.

edit: i have my line running straight from the engine bay fuse box (coolant fan#1 relay) and a 12V power source inside the kickpanel with a 30A inline fuse on the hotline. Is this a bad idea?

Last edited by rsw3284; 11-02-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #4

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

IMO, it's a bad idea. I would never want to use 12v power through a switch. Too much potential for trouble with something that uses that much current.
Using the normal fan relay control wires gives you override on the fans and still lets them work as normal, without any trouble codes. Your way is going to set a trouble code when the computer sees the fans on when it has not told them to be on. The wiring diagram on my site will not cause any trouble codes.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #5

Firebirdjones Apprentice Level Tech III

Not to be a rotten apple, but I never saw the purpose for this mod unless you are running an electric pump as well and can cool the motor while it is not running. If the computer is reflashed to have the fans come on at lower temps to work in conjunction with a cooler thermostat, there is really no reason that I see, to have a manual override switch.
Is there something I am missing here? Someone please enlighten me. Larry.
97 Z-28 6-speed Convertable
88 Iroc 350 TPI
56 Nomad
79 Chevrolet 1 ton 454
79 Monza 406 sb
82 Jeep Scrambler (96 LT1, 4L60E)
2005 Rubicon
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Administrator

03slowZ06 Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via Yahoo to 03slowZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Not to be a rotten apple, but I never saw the purpose for this mod unless you are running an electric pump as well and can cool the motor while it is not running. If the computer is reflashed to have the fans come on at lower temps to work in conjunction with a cooler thermostat, there is really no reason that I see, to have a manual override switch.
no your not being rotten. when you hard wire the fans through the fan relay they still work as advertised. but lets say you put in a 160 degree stat and just have free mods on your car. you cant just yet justify a dyno tune because of what you your next mod will be. say h/c. no need to tune it twice right. so put it in to make use of your 160 stat right now and pick up some more power. or say you are taking it to the track on a hot azz day and you have 30 minutes between runs click the fan on while the car is sitting there to help cool things down as much as possible. to some people its a fail safe. if that switch is on then its one less thing to worry about. or atleast these are my thoughts on it.
drivers side is a dream....passenger side on the other hand...i lost 2 screwdrivevers and a socket when i chucked them in the woods

u can do it

I am permanently banned from all petting zoo's for getting to friendly
Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Grims user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to Grims

I need to rewire mine this way, when I first got the car we had to by pass the PCM all together because the PCM was messed up and wouldn't turn on the fans. Now that I have a new PCM, I'm getting real tired of keeping up with the temps.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #8

My Facebook
crazytglo Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

well for me....for some reason my fans do not come on. my engine just heats up and doesnt cool off until i hit the switch or quickly go to highway speeds, so for me its preaty essential, it being my daily driver.

2000 SS, Auto, K&N, SLP Lid, Chokemaster, Cut-out, No Cats, Lowered 1.5", Black ZR1's, KB SFC's---SOLD!

97 SS 30th Annv. Ed., M6, K&N, UMI Short Stick Shifter, 160 thermo, Hooker Headers, No cats, SLP exhaust, Intake elbow, Fan switch.
300 RWHP.....well 298.3.........TOTALED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement