Lt4 HOT CAM - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

Workman Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Lt4 HOT CAM

Looking at an LT4 Hot cam. Can buy for 250.00 and install for 200. not bad lol, so just wondering do i need Better springs other than stock and also do i need better rocker arms and push rods for this?
95 Trans am A4 transmission, Flow Master Cat Back, CAT removed, TB bypass, 160 deg thermo, Slp dual CAI , Royal purple rear end fluid, Royal purple Engine oil, Removed spare tire+Jack, rear seats, rear seat belts and buckle rolls, removed head liner and scraped sound deadening, removed carpet, and underhood liner, removed AC . 295/50r/15z rear tires.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

screaminZ user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Looking at an LT4 Hot cam. Can buy for 250.00 and install for 200. not bad lol, so just wondering do i need Better springs other than stock and also do i need better rocker arms and push rods for this?
Read the sticky covering this topic It's very helpful, "lt1 valvetrain and cam selection guide"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Okay, sounds good. I was lookin at some but couldnt find them usefull
95 Trans am A4 transmission, Flow Master Cat Back, CAT removed, TB bypass, 160 deg thermo, Slp dual CAI , Royal purple rear end fluid, Royal purple Engine oil, Removed spare tire+Jack, rear seats, rear seat belts and buckle rolls, removed head liner and scraped sound deadening, removed carpet, and underhood liner, removed AC . 295/50r/15z rear tires.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

LT1 VALVE SPRING KIT Includes: SPRINGS, RETAINERS, LOCKS & CUPS. - Alex's Parts Sales

They sell the hardened pushrods also

GrumpysPerformance.com • View topic - sellecting valve springs, and setting up the valve train

At least the hardened pushrods then you can add upgraded self align rocker arms later on.

Best to do 7/16 studs guide plates and Non self align rocker arms. Alex's parts sells stud and guide plate kits also.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
.......Best to do 7/16 studs guide plates and Non self align rocker arms.....
For the Hot Cam ?!?
Yank 3200 stall TC, 4.10 gears
Bryan Herter tuning = 419 rwHP @ 6250 and 450 rwTQ @ 3750
SR 398ci in the works
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
For the Hot Cam ?!?
Hey at least when you get bored of it and want a real cam, you have the good stuff

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #7

Lt4 hotcam is a great proven Cam. idles nice or nasty depending on tune, passes emmissions test, gets good gas mileage, is billet not cast, and hey those newer lobes and/or a custom cam will give you about 5-10 more horsepower and cost 50-100$ more Require $200 more valvetrain to control.

Try driving a choppy 7000RPM cam with 1/4 mile suspension just North of me I'll enjoy a small cam and large disc brakes.

Have to watch out for bicyclists and deer.

I live 100yds from the Animas River Deer Ducks Geese in Back Yard Eagles Golden and Bald Whooping Cranes Wild Turkey Doves Racoons Squirrels Pheasant etc. If I drive north Large Brakes and Road race suspension and small cam are better. If I drive south Larger Cam and Road Race suspension and tires are better. Altitude 5950 ft is higher than Bandimere DA here 7450.
Reliability is a factor 30 below zero North and 110 Degrees to the South.

Spring Coyote Pups howling now. Gotta Go.

Drought and fires destroying the Forests and wilderness sucks to see the Planet Dying due to human negligence.

Last edited by Viper; 02-22-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

guppymech user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
I run the hotcam and like it alot. I run the stock stamped rockers and pushrods. In my experience the cam needs better valve springs than the LT4 springs. I run PAC 1212x springs, they install with stock retainers and seats and work well in the hotcams useful rev range. Some new thickwall pushrods would be a good addition too.
Get a new GM timing set for the install and plan for a tune. I have a Madtuner tune and she runs good!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #9

Thank you for the info everybody! I ordered some Beehive springs, And push rods. NOT JAPANESE lol. And also the LT4 cam comes with a beautiful set of rockers, Install within the next mont or so!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

I can see why GuppyMech likes the Hotcam with the 4.11's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3kL...3F4D6D&index=8

I think quality can vary with any type or brand of springs. My exhaust duration is less than the Hotcam. I'm reducing the intake valve weights and running hotcam springs and retainers with lunati Locks. My choice not everyones.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...dampers-2.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...t4-hotcam.html

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...height-693627/

Last edited by Viper; 02-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #11

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Make it as painless as possible.

LT4 hot cam with LT4 springs (only 40 bucks for those springs). Use the old LT1 parts. No high ratio rockers - not with stock LT1 head. New vlv seals if u like.

cardo0
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardo0 View Post
LT4 hot cam with LT4 springs (only 40 bucks for those springs). Use the old LT1 parts. No high ratio rockers - not with stock LT1 head. New vlv seals if u like.

cardo0
Im going to trust your answer.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #13

Dynamic396 Apprentice Level Tech III

The Hot Cam is a pretty small cam with a weird exhaust/intake duration split. There are much better cam grinds out there. If you're going to go through the trouble, I'd definitely have a custom cam ground. Send your core to the cam grinder and tell them what you want. It's cheaper that way and you still have a steel cam core when you're done.

I wouldn't use LT4 springs, either. I'd use LS6 springs with Comp 787 retainers. They're a much better spring, plus they're a beehive...
1995 Camaro Z-28, M6, 396 stroker, Scat forged 3.875" crank, Scat Ultra Q-Lite 6" H-beams, Icon forged pistons (4.030"), splayed 4 bolt w/ARP studs, 12.25:1, AFR 210 heads (2.08"/1.6", 58cc), Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD 1.7:1 rockers, GM847 cam (234/242 .611"/.632"), Edelbrock LT4 air-gap intake, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, 24x conversion, 0411 PCM, TPIS 58mm, Bosch III 42# injectors, Aeromotive 340, Kook's stepped LT's, Kook's custom stainless 3-1/2" merge ORY, Magnaflow
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

I would not run the LT4 springs with 1.6 rocker arms From my calculations .515 Lift is the most that should be run with a .050" Safety margin to coil bind. 1.5 or 1.52 rocker arms are perfect. I would limit lift to .510 these are best with smaller cams 210-218 duration and stock cams with 1.6 rocker arms engine rpm up to 6000.

Those that want more RPM More clearance to coil bind etc can run beehives the stock ls6 springs comp 918s pacs 1212x are all good choices as are Bullet valve springs vs 574 and vs 2700. Howards cams 98213 Springs are a good choice also

Valve Springs

Perf. Hyd. Roller/Mech. Flat Tappet Valve Springs by Howards Cams - Competition Products

Here is a post from Lloyd Elliot :
Beehive Valve springs - Page 3 - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums

These are a low cost alternative to the Competition Cams 787 Retainers to save more when running beehive springs.

BEEHIVE VALVE SPRING RETAINERS FOR 7 DEGREE 11/32" APPLICATIONS - Alex's Parts Sales

They also sell mild cam beehives similar to LT4 springs 104 seat psi and 273 over the nose or open pressure. Rated at 110 seat 265 open.

BEEHIVE VALVE SPRINGS- SBC, VORTEC & LS SERIES, STOCK TO MILD - Alex's Parts Sales
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

Dynamic396 Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
These are a low cost alternative to the Competition Cams 787 Retainers to save more when running beehive springs.

BEEHIVE VALVE SPRING RETAINERS FOR 7 DEGREE 11/32" APPLICATIONS - Alex's Parts Sales

They also sell mild cam beehives similar to LT4 springs 104 seat psi and 273 over the nose or open pressure. Rated at 110 seat 265 open.

BEEHIVE VALVE SPRINGS- SBC, VORTEC & LS SERIES, STOCK TO MILD - Alex's Parts Sales
These retainers look to be pretty decent (although they're a little on the tall side), but the springs are a little on the light side for my preference.

The LS6 spring has the same seat pressure, quite a bit more pressure over the nose (higher spring rate) and .030" more distance until coil bind...plus, they're about $20 cheaper... They're a great spring for up to a moderate camshaft/rocker setup. I use them all the time with Vortec heads. They're a drop-in when used with the Comp 787 retainers.
1995 Camaro Z-28, M6, 396 stroker, Scat forged 3.875" crank, Scat Ultra Q-Lite 6" H-beams, Icon forged pistons (4.030"), splayed 4 bolt w/ARP studs, 12.25:1, AFR 210 heads (2.08"/1.6", 58cc), Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD 1.7:1 rockers, GM847 cam (234/242 .611"/.632"), Edelbrock LT4 air-gap intake, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, 24x conversion, 0411 PCM, TPIS 58mm, Bosch III 42# injectors, Aeromotive 340, Kook's stepped LT's, Kook's custom stainless 3-1/2" merge ORY, Magnaflow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement