Lt1 intake - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Fast n Loud user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Lt1 intake

Gonna upgrade my stock lt1 intake to something different here soon. Im gonna prolly purchase a 58mm throttle body as well, any ideas on what intake to purchase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

From what I have heard thru the grapevine,the stock LT1 intake is
pretty good. There are many other areas in the LT1 package that
are better suited to changing than the intake. For example there is an
LT1 corvette in NHRA stock eliminnator, out in Washington state, that per rules must use a non ported intake manifold with a non modified throttle body and it has run 8.90'S on a good day and thats in the 1/4 mile! ed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

But that car does have some serious cash poured into in many other ways..a aftermarket throtte body would still work on a stock lt1 intake right?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Workman Apprentice Level Tech I

From what I've read on here the stock throttle body is okay until u start doing more serious engine modifications.
95 Trans am A4 transmission, Flow Master Cat Back, CAT removed, TB bypass, 160 deg thermo, Slp dual CAI , Royal purple rear end fluid, Royal purple Engine oil, Removed spare tire+Jack, rear seats, rear seat belts and buckle rolls, removed head liner and scraped sound deadening, removed carpet, and underhood liner, removed AC . 295/50r/15z rear tires.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Supporting Member

USMC user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Port and polish the LT1 intake and install a 58mm tb.
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

Yes you can add an aftermarket throttle body to the stock LT1 intake,
before you see much of any gain from it, you should probably
have ported heads,possibly a cam and headers.ed
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #7

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast n Loud View Post
Gonna upgrade my stock lt1 intake to something different here soon. Im gonna prolly purchase a 58mm throttle body as well, any ideas on what intake to purchase.
Unless you have something exotic in mind, there are really no intake upgrades out there (the Edelbrock certainly isn't an upgrade). Doubtful you need a TB either, but we don't know anything about your setup, goals or what you are doing.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Unless you have a modified engine and have run out of things to buy, do not bother with either a new intake or throttle body. They are just not worth the headaches.

But, once you do convert to a single plane, you can run all sorts of cool LS1 throttle bodies

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Supporting Member

USMC user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I agree with ShoeBox and ShowNoMercy. However, you have to start somewhere right? Generally a intake or any upgrade has to be complimented with a supporting upgrade as stated. Come up with a plan and think about your intentions and purpose for the car. Let us know so we can be of assistance.
96 WS6..Ported stock intake w/58mm TB, 4bolt, 4340 SCAT RA/H-Beams/pistons, AFR195 Comp 58cc, ISKY Billet Steel 244/258 .600/.600, 1.5 Comp Magnum RR, CM PR's, Bal W/I 1/2 gram w/1725 Bob Weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DpZpTcJaA
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Fox Slaughter user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fox Slaughter

The stock LT1 is a great manifold, which is why there are no aftermarket manifolds.

As for the bigger throttle body, unless you are really sucking air, its not needed.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #11

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I

Quote:
If your gonna upgrade your intake soon then to what? We're all waiting to hear your engine/car specs and performance needs. It becomes a waste of time to share information with someone that doesn't even have a chevy.

cardo
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #12

95 trans am ram air..pacesetters headers and ypipe...true flowmaster duels...richmond 4.10 gears..stall...pretty basic setup im just looking to help my car breathe the best before i drop anything major in it before the spring races get here..just trying to smoke some mustangs like you guys lol i just wasnt sure if i could fit a bigger throttle body on a stock manifold just wantin to be safe
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

shoebox Tradesman Level Tech II

Until you have major head changes, you really don't anything on the intake side. MHO.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #14

KW Baraka Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slaughter View Post
The stock LT1 is a great manifold, which is why there are no aftermarket manifolds........
Super Ram.

KW
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #15

cardo0 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default What type trans?

Quote:
95 trans am ram air..pacesetters headers and ypipe...true flowmaster duels...richmond 4.10 gears..stall...pretty basic setup im just looking to help my car breathe the best before i drop anything major in it before the spring races get here..just trying to smoke some mustangs like you guys lol i just wasnt sure if i could fit a bigger throttle body on a stock manifold just wantin to be safe

Try a CAI first - i like the MOROSO "honker" <$200. Nothing out there gonna help u more right now for less than price of a good cam and vlv springs.
But wait. How do use a "Y" pipe with "true duals"? This sounds more like bogus post and until u start talking the truth your on my ignore list mister.

cardo
'94 Z lowered 1" with Edlebrock headers, PCM4less tune, A4 BTO level 3, Honker CAI, TPIS TB w/bypass, stock 3.23 gears w/TA girdle cover, 250k mi. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393600...photo-gallery/. Rock in the garage is '74 vette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement