Amsoil - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > LT1 | LT4 | L99 Engine Tech

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Workman Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Amsoil

So im down n mooresville at this awesome t/a meet. One of the guys here says amsoil will increase my lt1s performance between 5-8 hp. I said no way....he shows me dyno papers for lt1s using amsoil. Holy cow.
(Including) his own.
Is all this true? Oil can give HP?
95 Trans am A4 transmission, Flow Master Cat Back, CAT removed, TB bypass, 160 deg thermo, Slp dual CAI , Royal purple rear end fluid, Royal purple Engine oil, Removed spare tire+Jack, rear seats, rear seat belts and buckle rolls, removed head liner and scraped sound deadening, removed carpet, and underhood liner, removed AC . 295/50r/15z rear tires.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #2

steveo Tradesman Level Tech I

sure, reducing friction can increase performance, and amsoil is good oil.

but this is why you cant just trust dyno results. you dont know the conditions that test was performed under, so why trust it? what was the baseline oil? was the oil temperature measured, and proven to be consistent between the tests?

8hp from an oil change? i dont buy it
.. Automatic LT1 Tuning Tool ..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Viper Apprentice Level Tech I

Drivetrain Modifications #6
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

I run it in the truck, cause I like to throw money away at it, but I would not run it in the camaro. Not worth it.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Good proof man!!!
95 Trans am A4 transmission, Flow Master Cat Back, CAT removed, TB bypass, 160 deg thermo, Slp dual CAI , Royal purple rear end fluid, Royal purple Engine oil, Removed spare tire+Jack, rear seats, rear seat belts and buckle rolls, removed head liner and scraped sound deadening, removed carpet, and underhood liner, removed AC . 295/50r/15z rear tires.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Good proof man!!!
Not to be an ass here, but, its hardly proof at all.

You know how easy it is to manipulate a dyno to show gain/losses? For all you know the air temp dropped between the first and second dynos. I do not place much if any trust in that sort of test when the "gains" are a measly few HP, too much tolerances in dynos.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-U...30966313667982
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

The results were 5-8 hp not just 8 did u see vipers post? 2 horses just from oil that's awesome!!!! All these guys i met lastnight r in that tti school. They have a dyno there. Pretty dang sweet lol.
Evem if it is only 2 h.p. like vipers results showed, after i do my throttle body bypass and also the amsoil change today ill hopefully have 5-8 more horses. Not necessarily feel able but every little bit adds up. Thank you guys for your responses!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

I completely understand, but even if it doesn't increase my HP, I'll still have a good synthetic performance oil in my vehicle.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #9

E&A's T/A user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Every time I change my oil I gain a little just from the simple fact that my old oil has lost it viscosity and is not helping the rings seal quite as well to the cylinder wall and the fresh oil brings that back. I do agree there are good oils and not so good but something as simple as an oil change can gain you some no matter what oil it is
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

There have been millions of claims from petroleum manufacturers
over the years. In general synthetics reduce friction and also reduce oil temps. The thinner or lighter the oil the less friction. I dont know how much everyone knows about drag racing but some of the most scienced
out cars in NHRA drag racing are in the Pro Stock class. Most of those
cars run 0-5 weight motor oil due to the lesser amount of friction in thinner oils. So yes,as stated by a few of the guys in earlier posts, dyno tests can show gains in horse power for advertising purposes and skew them to look however they want. For the most part, most of us LT1 guys could /should run a good 10-30 multi viscosity oil and if you have the money go synthetic if not a good standard petroleum oil will fill the bill.ed
Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #11

Well im just throwin this out there guys, I went to o reillys today here in high point and theres this guy named Johnnie that works there. Hes an old gear head and has worked in tranny shops and still does work on his own drag car in his race crew. But he has confirmed that ALL his drag cars have shown improvement with royal purple as well as amsoil.
He used Red Line Synthetic in their Transmissions, and also Red line in their rear ends, and royal purple as well as amsoil in their engines. Long story short, He has confirmed that Amsoil and Royal purple as well as Red Line can and will reduce friction thus giving you A small horsepower increase. WHEN KEPT MAINTAINED. Had to throw that on there.
But I change my oil every 1500-2000 miles just because I like changing oil lol and also bcuz i love my car and want it to run forever.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12

Racy Roadmaster Apprentice Level Tech II

WORKMAN, I cant fault antyhing the guy said, so he is not BS ing you
in the least. Changing oil and filter regularily is a good habbit to get into.
I use synthetics in all my vehicles and change my oil about every
3000-3500 miles. The guys that race their cars and have spent alot of
money on ther motors probably change oil more often than that. Consider
oil like insurance. Use a good oil and filter and you will be insuring
good life for your motor. ed
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Thank you man i appreciate that, And i agree 100% Engines Love Oil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement